PDA

View Full Version : Long Time No Read

Win94ae
03-03-2020, 09:10 PM
I am back, and I was just wondering about using IMR 4198 in my Marlin 1894S 44 mag. You see, my lever opens from recoil, and I was looking for a slower burning powder that would give me better ES and a lighter recoil, as to mitigate the bolt opening. I Googled it and found the information on this site! :)

I used enough powder to fill the case up to the bullet, 23grains, which gave me the same POI height as the starting weight of No.11FS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjD10HKzolI

I have been having a time getting this rifle to shoot with any bullet, I was getting on average 6 inch groups, with 10 inch fliers. I concluded that the forend stock was binding so I made it fit properly, which got me close to inch groups with 4 inch fliers. I'm pretty sure the lever opening is what causes the fliers. This 1/2 inch group with a 2 inch flier gives me hope!

I may have found somewhat of a fix until I can get it to a reputable gunsmith to properly fashion a locking bolt. I don't like this design at all.

This is my deer rifle, I got a 10 point buck with it last season, but could not get close enough to get another. Hopefully, next season I fill my tags!

bikerbeans
03-04-2020, 07:18 AM
There is a spring loaded detent that holds the lever closed. I would see if the detent moves freely and the spring is good.

Another cause could be negative headspace or the COAL of your ammo is too long.

BB

Silvercreek Farmer
03-04-2020, 07:29 AM
Glad to see you back! I enjoy your videos! Keep 'em coming!

MrWolf
03-04-2020, 08:13 AM
Check out Marlin Owners gunsmitthing forum. I know there is a sticky on the 39A lever dropping some and side to side movement which mine has. Good luck

Win94ae
03-04-2020, 03:25 PM
There is a spring loaded detent that holds the lever closed. I would see if the detent moves freely and the spring is good.

Another cause could be negative headspace or the COAL of your ammo is too long.

BB

The problem is that when you close the lever all the way, I could still push the bolt forward 1/64". Also, the angle on the locking bolt is incorrect. I'm going to need a good gunsmith to fashion another locking bolt to fit it properly.
All the other features of the action are working perfectly.

Thanks!

Win94ae
03-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Check out Marlin Owners gunsmitthing forum. I know there is a sticky on the 39A lever dropping some and side to side movement which mine has. Good luck

Thanks for the tip!

Win94ae
03-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Glad to see you back! I enjoy your videos! Keep 'em coming!

Thank you! I'm glad to see my efforts are appreciated!

Norske
03-05-2020, 12:53 PM
My 1894 really likes a bullet around 250 grains and 2400 powder.

Win94ae
03-05-2020, 02:57 PM
My 1894 really likes a bullet around 250 grains and 2400 powder.

Thanks for the tip!