PDA

View Full Version : Casting Pot?

44magLeo
03-03-2020, 02:44 PM
I was out wondering around a few stores as much for something to do as well as looking for ideas.
I was in Big Lots. In the housewares section they had a stainless steel utensil holder. It seemed to be made from fairly thick walled stainless. It is for setting on your kitchen counter to hold stuff.
It measures 4 3/4 inches ID and 6 1/2 inches deep. With a bit of figuring it will hold about 45 lbs. of lead full to the top. I figure with it down enough to stir without spilling it will hold 40lbs. easy enough.
$9. I didn't buy one but might go back and get one. For those who want a nice size pot for ladle casting it shoul work ok. Just need a god heat source.
It has a lip rolled over at the top. It wouldn't be hard to cut a hole in a piece of flat steel the pot could set down into. Then build legs off of that.
With the flat bottom it could e made to bottom pour.
In Wal Mart I was checking out the house wares there and bought a set of Main Stays three stainless steel funnels. The smallest, the spout will fit inside of a 25 cal case neck. The middle size fits in a 35 cal neck. the biggest fits a 50 cal neck. They have a long handle like a measuring cup.
They caught my eye and for $5.97 they seemed like a good addition to the clutter around my bench. Item umber on the card is MS89-020-100-297
Leo

gwpercle
03-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Stainless steel funnels are great for reloading . The smaller ones for charging cases and the larger ones for transferring powder from canister to powder measure hopper and back .
Also the big plus of no static cling like the plastic funnels . Funnels also made of aluminum work very well . I found all mine in the food utensil departments and on line .

Not many people seem to use metal funnels but I think they are the best !
Gary