PDA

View Full Version : .223 brass question

Ky Greg
11-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I've got some .223 once fired brass that has a small dent /crease about midway of the case body on each one. Most of the dents are very small, more like a big scratch on most. Will it be safe to reload these? This is Lake City brass if that makes any difference.

beagle
11-17-2008, 11:19 PM
I the scratch is not too deep, I'd reload them. Case integrity is the big thing. Don't want splits if you can help it.

I've loaded bunches of 7.62 X 39mm cases from SKS rifles that were beat all up and I've never had a problem.

I've loaded .44 Mags from "Desert Creatures" (Desert Eagles) and they get beat up pretty good in the firing process.

Same with 5.56mm out of the ARs and M16s. They really take a beating.

The worst is 7.62 Nato from fluted chamber H & Ks and i've loaded that.

Go ahead and load it./beagle

GabbyM
11-17-2008, 11:23 PM
dents are OK A sharp crease may be an issue?
I think what you're seeing is the ding from the deflector they added on the A2. Meant to help left handed shooters from getting smacked in the forehead with brass. IIRC

I've taken to running Mil brass through a small base die. Sometimes those dents just disappear.

Best tip I have for cleaning up military brass. Take a flash hole uniformer tool. Or #1 center drill. Deburr the flash hole before attempting to deprime the cases. That will about eliminate broken decap pins.

Ky Greg
11-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the info Beagle, howz about I run over to Perryville and we go dig up some bullets on the battlefield.... good source of lead.[smilie=1: I'm just southwest of Campbellsville.

Ky Greg
11-17-2008, 11:42 PM
dents are OK A sharp crease may be an issue?
I think what you're seeing is the ding from the deflector they added on the A2. Meant to help left handed shooters from getting smacked in the forehead with brass. IIRC

I've taken to running Mil brass through a small base die. Sometimes those dents just disappear.

Best tip I have for cleaning up military brass. Take a flash hole uniformer tool. Or #1 center drill. Deburr the flash hole before attempting to deprime the cases. That will about eliminate broken decap pins.

I would say your correct because they are all exactly at the same place on each case. They are not caved in or bent. Thanks Gabby

beagle
11-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I'd be glad to this spring if I knew anyplace to hunt. I got a detector and I've melted some CW era .69 balls from Virginia into bullets before. Might have some stuff here on the place but I haven't found any so far.

I was over to Campbellsville yesterday. Ate at the buffet at the Creekside Resturant. Had a good un'.

Come over when it gets warm and we'll burn some powder. I got a place to shoot here on the place. I'm about a mile and a half out MItchellsburg Road from Perryville./beagle

Thanks for the info Beagle, howz about I run over to Perryville and we go dig up some bullets on the battlefield.... good source of lead.[smilie=1: I'm just southwest of Campbellsville.

Ky Greg
11-18-2008, 06:40 AM
I'd be glad to this spring if I knew anyplace to hunt. I got a detector and I've melted some CW era .69 balls from Virginia into bullets before. Might have some stuff here on the place but I haven't found any so far.

I was over to Campbellsville yesterday. Ate at the buffet at the Creekside Resturant. Had a good un'.

Come over when it gets warm and we'll burn some powder. I got a place to shoot here on the place. I'm about a mile and a half out MItchellsburg Road from Perryville./beagle

Creekside has some good vittles for sure. I've been to the battlefield itself once and they made it real clear that there was NO digging for artifacts. I understand their reasons, but I'd love to have a old boolit or ball from there. Thanks for the springtime invite, I'll have to take you up on that.:grin: