PDA

View Full Version : Blowback vs. recoil operatd .380's

Mk42gunner
03-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this subject.

A bit of background, I shot a Walther PPKs fairly extensively back in the early nineties and wasn't very favorably impressed. It shot okay, but seemed heavier than needed, plus I got slide tracks on the web of my hand. I pretty much ignored the .380 for a few decades.

Fast forward to a few years ago when we got constitutional carry here in MO. I tried a J Frame, also a bit heavy, couldn't find an affordable airweight, so I went looking for a .380. Tried a Remington Model 51, it pointed obnoxiously high in my hands and I didn't want to spend the going rate for a Colt Pocket Hammerless.

I ended up with a Sig P290RS with nitesites in .380. Should have got it in 9mm since it is so big, very similar to carrying a J Frame.

A year or so ago I found a Ruger LCPII, very comfortable to carry and to shoot. I would like nitesite, but it works.

Last month I found one of the aforementioned Colt's in .380, no finish and in pretty rough shape, but it does work acceptably.

I was surprised and how much more felt recoil the blowback Colt has over either of the recoil operated pistols.

Reading Outpost75's pocket pistol posts have gotten me curious.

Thanks

Robert

35remington
03-01-2020, 04:59 PM
Excepting guns with noticeable differences in weight, a locked breech design spreads the recoil over a longer time period as opposed to a blowback gun.

I never found an old school Colt to kick that much. My locked breech LCPs are much snappier, but then they weigh less than half as much.

gnostic
03-01-2020, 05:09 PM
I'm a fan of the PPK, It has a great trigger in both single and double action. I'm always surprised at how well I shoot this pistol. Also, it shoots where I'm looking and for me that's a huge plus....

Outpost75
03-01-2020, 10:23 PM
On reactive steel targets the Remington .308" diameter, 93-grain .30 Luger FMJ bullet with 3 grains of AutoComp in the .32 ACP Beretta 81 gives 950 fps and whacks the plates down like a .380 ACP, but has 12+1 capacity. The 90-grain Hornady XTP. .309" diameter expands to .50 cal. in water jugs, blows the first jug apart, splits the second gallon, perforates the third and dents the 4th.

LUBEDUDE
03-02-2020, 06:19 AM
Not only do I find that blowbacks recoil more, they are louder as well.