PDA

View Full Version : Blowback vs. locked breech .380

Mk42gunner
03-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this subject.

A bit of background, I shot a Walther PPKs fairly extensively back in the early nineties and wasn't very favorably impressed. It shot okay, but seemed heavier than needed, plus I got slide tracks on the web of my hand. I pretty much ignored the .380 for a few decades.

Fast forward to a few years ago when we got constitutional carry here in MO. I tried a J Frame, also a bit heavy, couldn't find an affordable airweight, so I went looking for a .380. Tried a Remington Model 51, it pointed obnoxiously high in my hands and I didn't want to spend the going rate for a Colt Pocket Hammerless.

I ended up with a Sig P290RS with nitesites in .380. Should have got it in 9mm since it is so big, very similar to carrying a J Frame.

A year or so ago I found a Ruger LCPII, very comfortable to carry and to shoot. I would like nitesite, but it works.

Last month I found one of the aforementioned Colt's in .380, no finish and in pretty rough shape, but it does work acceptably.

I was surprised and how much more felt recoil the blowback Colt has over either of the recoil operated pistols.

Reading Outpost75's pocket pistol posts have gotten me curious.

Thanks

Robert

Bigslug
03-02-2020, 01:07 AM
Seems like we're covering this in a few places. . .

Pretty much all the blowback .380's I'm aware of started life as .32's, and all I have tried are more comfortable to shoot in the original chambering. There are a few larger specimens out there, such as the FN 1910/22, that are closer to duty guns than pocket pistols, which are considerably less snappy. Pretty direct physics lesson really - if you want a lightweight slide and a recoil spring you can pull fully to the rear, the place the remaining energy goes in a blowback system is into the shooter's hand.

Big fan of the new crop of recoil-operated .380's for this reason.

Greg S
03-02-2020, 06:07 AM
Have you looked/tried the Berea single and double stack 380s. Smooth recoil and accurate.

rking22
03-03-2020, 08:16 PM
I like my 84 and find it very accurate. Have yet to play with the 81, but it’s getting warmer.
Picture is with the 84 and a RD 105 from a group buy, 3.1 of 231 best I remember. Wish I could take the occasional squirrel at home in Tn., this one was on a long weekend to friends out of state. Head shot, bang flop, an accurate 380 is adequate :)

onelight
03-03-2020, 08:33 PM
I like my 84 and find it very accurate. Have yet to play with the 81, but it’s getting warmer.
Picture is with the 84 and a RD 105 from a group buy, 3.1 of 231 best I remember. Wish I could take the occasional squirrel at home in Tn., this one was on a long weekend to friends out of state. Head shot, bang flop, an accurate 380 is adequate :)
That picture is great , Squirrel hunting with a handgun is just a good time that comes with a dinner.:mrgreen: