PDA

View Full Version : My new old ski-doo!

Kev18
03-01-2020, 12:39 AM
Iv'e been wanting one for a long time. I paid alot for this. But its pretty much brand new and almost never used. It was made in 2002. Tundra R. Works well and only weighs 380 pounds! I can pick it up with one arm and move it as I please! I already started adding little accessories... Exactly what I need to bring me to the cabin in deep snow.

https://i.imgur.com/AdloOp1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ozPVSbe.jpg

Markopolo
03-01-2020, 01:01 AM
them old Ski-doo's we tuffer then snot.. cant imagine you finding one in that shape.. there are not many snow machines like that around in pristine condition.. most have a million miles... did you check the belts and track??? how are the rollers? any weather checking? the seat alone should have been eaten by a bear long ago...

osteodoc08
03-01-2020, 01:13 AM
Fantastic! Tell us more about it and the cabin.

Boolseye
03-01-2020, 09:39 AM
I always have half an eye peeled for a skidoo like that, not too big, a little older, in good shape. Nice find.

Kev18
03-01-2020, 12:20 PM
them old Ski-doo's we tuffer then snot.. cant imagine you finding one in that shape.. there are not many snow machines like that around in pristine condition.. most have a million miles... did you check the belts and track??? how are the rollers? any weather checking? the seat alone should have been eaten by a bear long ago...

5700km... Rollers, sliders all new. Skis barely touched the ground. It came with bear paws. Honestly looks like the track barely rolled. No cracks, nothin!

Kev18
03-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Fantastic! Tell us more about it and the cabin.

Not much to say. It's a tundra r. 139 inch track. 380 pounds. Only thing it had was the speedometer wasnt working. My dad tightened the cable and it works now. And the back tail light was burnt.... Tip top condition.

Kev18
03-01-2020, 12:23 PM
I have a question for you guys. Keep in mind I'm in Canada.
How much do you think I paid?

woodbutcher
03-01-2020, 01:21 PM
:grin: Judging from that question,I would say that maybe you should be wearing a bandana mask,toting an 1873 Colt six gun and change your screen name to"Jesse James":wink:[smilie=1::Fire:.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Kev18
03-01-2020, 01:30 PM
:grin: Judging from that question,I would say that maybe you should be wearing a bandana mask,toting an 1873 Colt six gun and change your screen name to"Jesse James":wink:[smilie=1::Fire:.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Well i have an 1858 navy, original. Do you think that works? ;)

Winger Ed.
03-01-2020, 02:33 PM
I've heard of those things.

Awhile back some of the good 'ole boys down in Louisiana got ahold of one.
The soon figured out that if ya keep it up over about 70mph, it will go across a pretty long stretch of open water.

With all this global warming, you might need to know that sometime.:bigsmyl2:

jonp
03-01-2020, 02:52 PM
$500 Canadian? That's a great find. I miss those old Ski-Doo's that you can go out on and if stuck just pick up the back and move it out yourself. I learned on an old 12HP Bombadier. Great old sled and light enough for a kid to get out of a snowbank. Spent hours out on the lake, on the golf course, beating one tracks through the woods. Lot's of fun. As a kid in winter we were never in the house.

shaune509
03-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Looks like the last of 'true work sled' design. All the new machines I see in eastern Washington are speed machines on truck decks or 1 sled on a 4 sled trailer looking for some open farm land to trespass on cause its to far to the state/national forests. Enjoy your machine gettin to the cabin and huntin in the great white north.
Shaune509

Plate plinker
03-01-2020, 06:06 PM
I have a question for you guys. Keep in mind I'm in Canada.
How much do you think I paid?

I'm not an expert but around here I would give $500-600 US dollars.

Bought a 2 up Grand touring for $800 with the same mileage in very good condition. Use that sled to haul the kids up the sledding hill. I like how light your machine is easy to handle if your not a gorilla.

Kev18
03-01-2020, 07:02 PM
I'm not an expert but around here I would give $500-600 US dollars.

Bought a 2 up Grand touring for $800 with the same millage in very good condition. Use that sled to haul the kids up the sledding hill. I like how light your machine is easy to handle if your not a gorilla.

That's super cheap in 2002 msrp was 4,300$. These days they are the same price. You can get a beat up one for 2000$. Everyone looks for these. They float.

Kev18
03-01-2020, 07:06 PM
I just went up to the cottage. About 5 feet of snow. I got stuck three times. I need to learn the machine.
People were right. They said you'll pass anywhere except uphill. They were right. Got stuck in a hill.
Also you need to do massive wide turns, don't do sharp ones or you'll stay stuck. Engine is a 1 cylinder 300cc. It also needs to be tuned. When you get stuck, and want to get going again. It bogs down and you have no power. Il get the carb tuned.

Kev18
03-01-2020, 10:43 PM
Over 5 feet of snow. I had some under my arms, and as long as you cruise along, you float on top. Only give gas to carve when turning or climbing a hill.
https://i.imgur.com/ZwtMml7.jpg

Rally
03-01-2020, 11:30 PM
Kev18,
I've got a 1997 Tundra LT. Same machine as yours except you have electric reverse. Great trapping machine, and I've brought a great many beaver out of the woods on that machine.
Couple things to check out. If you keep burning taillights or headlights out, have your voltage regulator adjusted. Just takes a fine allen wrench to adjust the voltage. Might also check your carb to see if the high speed jet is partially plugged. I run in a bunch of cattails and the fluff gets all over in the carb and airbox and the machine will bog like you described. You may also have a crack in the rubber mount/manifold between carb and engine block. I've seen a few Tundras of that class with duct tape on them as a repair to keep dirt and air out of the carb and engine.
If you compare your machine to pictures of like machines, I think you'll find your front skis have been replace with skis off a Skandic. I did the same to mine after getting it buried and tried to move the front over. The original skis had small loops in the handles and would bunch your hands up real bad when you tried to lift the skis.
I just saw this post today and noticed your windshield was gone and the rifle rack gone also! Been there! I found if you take a piece of 1/4" fuel line, the length of the top of the windshield, cut it open lengthwise, then put a clear silicone caulking in the tubing, then put it on the windshield, and let it dry overnight. Put it right over the thin stiff plastic trim on the windshield as they come stock. This will keep your windshield from breaking most often even with a roll over.. That stiff black factory trim on the windshield, makes the plastic of the windshield crack exactly where it cracks. The fuel line/ caulking makes the windshield stiffer and keeps the original trim from cracking. They also make a taller windshield for those year Tundras if you are so inclined. I'd advise getting an extra fuel pump also. That was the only real mechanical trouble I ever had in the woods with mine.

Kev18
03-02-2020, 12:45 AM
Kev18,
I've got a 1997 Tundra LT. Same machine as yours except you have electric reverse. Great trapping machine, and I've brought a great many beaver out of the woods on that machine.
Couple things to check out. If you keep burning taillights or headlights out, have your voltage regulator adjusted. Just takes a fine allen wrench to adjust the voltage. Might also check your carb to see if the high speed jet is partially plugged. I run in a bunch of cattails and the fluff gets all over in the carb and airbox and the machine will bog like you described. You may also have a crack in the rubber mount/manifold between carb and engine block. I've seen a few Tundras of that class with duct tape on them as a repair to keep dirt and air out of the carb and engine.
If you compare your machine to pictures of like machines, I think you'll find your front skis have been replace with skis off a Skandic. I did the same to mine after getting it buried and tried to move the front over. The original skis had small loops in the handles and would bunch your hands up real bad when you tried to lift the skis.
I just saw this post today and noticed your windshield was gone and the rifle rack gone also! Been there! I found if you take a piece of 1/4" fuel line, the length of the top of the windshield, cut it open lengthwise, then put a clear silicone caulking in the tubing, then put it on the windshield, and let it dry overnight. Put it right over the thin stiff plastic trim on the windshield as they come stock. This will keep your windshield from breaking most often even with a roll over.. That stiff black factory trim on the windshield, makes the plastic of the windshield crack exactly where it cracks. The fuel line/ caulking makes the windshield stiffer and keeps the original trim from cracking. They also make a taller windshield for those year Tundras if you are so inclined. I'd advise getting an extra fuel pump also. That was the only real mechanical trouble I ever had in the woods with mine.

I was laughing reading all of this.
My tail light keeps burning and I just got a new one yesterday and it burnt today!:grin: Every issue you said, il try to fix. Especially the carb.
I took the windshield off because I was scared to break it in the trees and branches. I had to make my own trails. As it was my first time trying it, and im no expert. I didnt want to break anything, gun rack included. Las time I road a snowmobile I was probably 10 and it was a Polaris 700 indy. A real monster of a land barge. I need to get used to the machine. Il go back and cut branches and trees to make trails to the cabin.
And im not sure about my skis? I have 8-9 inch skins over them so that helps in snow.

I learnt a few things today:
I got stuck twice in hills, thank god my dad was there. I watched videos and people say that you can go anywhere. EXCEPT CLIMB HILLS. They were right...
Its a 1 cylinder 300cc. Dont try to do sharp turns and doing 180's. There is little to know power band.
I also need to learn to maneuver it... I got stuck leaning on a tree.

jonp
03-02-2020, 05:29 AM
I also laughed reading this. I remember stopping the sled, stepping off and sinking up to my waist. Lot's of fun. Many a hill I got stuck on and floundered around swinging the back end until I could go back down. Great stuff

abunaitoo
03-02-2020, 05:53 AM
I've never been on one, but it sure looks like fun.
Looks kind of cold though.

StuBach
03-02-2020, 06:42 AM
Nice find, sadly when that machine was being built was the last time I rode my old sled. Gosh I miss hitting the trails.

Nice find, have fun with it.

Lloyd Smale
03-02-2020, 07:32 AM
dad has a 69 ski doo 292 tnt. It was originally bought for me in 69. The first sled that was mine! I drove it till I went in the service in 74. I think it had about 10k on it by then but everything on it had been rebuilt or replaced at least once. When I went in the service dad stuck it in a shed out back. Fast forward about 20 years and he decided one day to restore it and bring it to the vintage ralleys around here. Today it looks like the day it came off the showroom. Its back to sitting because hes 89 and just cant ride it anymore. One of these days it will be mine again. Hes told me to take it home but I know he still enjoys taking everyone that visits out to the garage to see it. I took it for about a 10 mile ride last winter. Its amazing to anyone that's road modern sleds just how far they've came. it was about like comparing a new Silverado to a model t pickup. But it sure brought back memorys. Dad has had lots of cool sleds back in the day. He had a 400 artic cat eltigre when that was the fastest thing on snow. he had a merc sno twister when they were the fastest. Don't know what ever made him keep this one. Probably just buried in to much junk to dig out. Personaly I wish he still had that merc. Now that was a little crotch rocket!

Kev18
03-02-2020, 09:56 AM

-15. Not bad for a Canadian ;)

Kev18
03-02-2020, 09:58 AM
dad has a 69 ski doo 292 tnt. It was originally bought for me in 69. The first sled that was mine! I drove it till I went in the service in 74. I think it had about 10k on it by then but everything on it had been rebuilt or replaced at least once. When I went in the service dad stuck it in a shed out back. Fast forward about 20 years and he decided one day to restore it and bring it to the vintage ralleys around here. Today it looks like the day it came off the showroom. Its back to sitting because hes 89 and just cant ride it anymore. One of these days it will be mine again. Hes told me to take it home but I know he still enjoys taking everyone that visits out to the garage to see it. I took it for about a 10 mile ride last winter. Its amazing to anyone that's road modern sleds just how far they've came. it was about like comparing a new Silverado to a model t pickup. But it sure brought back memorys. Dad has had lots of cool sleds back in the day. He had a 400 artic cat eltigre when that was the fastest thing on snow. he had a merc sno twister when they were the fastest. Don't know what ever made him keep this one. Probably just buried in to much junk to dig out. Personaly I wish he still had that merc. Now that was a little crotch rocket!

Keep and take care of that sled. Not because they are old that they dont work!

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Southern Minnesota is a good place to shop for used sleds.
The season is short and geographically the prairie begins, so when there is snow falling is blows into the ditches, and the fields/prarrie are blown clean, so the snow is thin and melts quick. There have been years were the riding season was limited to 3 or 4 days, unless you want to ride in muddy patched trails. But Snowmobiles are popular, many people haul them to Northern MI or the mountains in WY for a week of riding. ANYWAY, lots of old sleds with low miles around here.

My last Sled was a 1996 Arctic cat Cougar 550, I bought it at an Sportinggoods consignment auction for $600 and it looked like new and had low miles (less than 1K). I went because there was a minty 1970 Alpine (the dual track Ski Doo), it ran great, I think it had the 640 engine? Anyway, my budget was $1500, so when the Alpine sold for around $2500, I passed and looked to other sleds, and ended up buying that $600 Cougar.

nelsonted1
03-02-2020, 02:17 PM
We grew up in rupps in the 1970s. We loved them. We could make them bank and jump them and make them behave almost like motorcyclez. Then, 15 years ago my brother bought a gargantuan ski doo out of a junk yard. That thing is like a truck. You can't lean into curves- it just laughs at us. We- except my brother-absolutely hate it. He treats it like a bulldozer that'll go 70 or 80. You have a snowmobile that would be perfect. I wish that was ours

nelsonted1
03-02-2020, 02:24 PM
One day I raced outside and pulled on the rupp's starter cord. ZOOM! It started and flew forward at full acceleration and slammed into my brothers prized 1965 fury right behind the drivers door. I stood there wringing my poor hand and tried to figure out how to blame myself. He came out of the house and shrugged and drive it to the shop. Did hardly hurt the snowmobile at all.

Plate plinker
03-02-2020, 10:43 PM

Sleds are similar to jet skis. Neither stop instantly and both can slide when turning. Also both are very fun to operate.

Kev18
03-02-2020, 10:59 PM
Sleds are similar to jet skis. Neither stop instantly and both can slide when turning. Also both are very fun to operate.

If you stop on a dime, you're sinking deep.

Plate plinker
03-02-2020, 11:05 PM
Or kissing a tree.

Kev18
03-03-2020, 12:31 AM
Or kissing a tree.

Stay away from pines or trees with low branches that create craters around them

Rally
03-03-2020, 02:17 AM
Beaver stumps really suck! Little ones try to go through the belly, big ones stop you RIGHT NOW. Bumping Balsam with a new snow load is Refreshing. LOL

Three44s
03-03-2020, 03:07 AM
Service the clutch, that makes getting stuck less onerous and as has been suggested give the carb a good going over.

Another poster told about a sled going full tilt and crashing upon starting. That happens with slide carbs re-assembled backwards.

Three44s

Lloyd Smale
03-03-2020, 07:00 AM
first sled I bought with my own money was a 440 rupp magnum factory race sled that a guy my dad knew that raced for team rupp had just raced the eagle river race with. it had a slanted seat and not lights. Made for oval track racing. Sure made some noise! It was the fastest sled in town for about a year until I wrecked it. My ex wifes father has one of those very rare rupp 3 wheeled dune buggy type things. I forget what they were called now. Its restored and like new too. Until the merc snow twisters came along the rupp nitros and magnums and the cat eltigres were THE sleds to own. I had a few other cool ones. Had a indy txl 340 the first year they came out and that was a game changer with its independent suspension. Had a new 600 triple indy when the first year when they blew away everything. Had a first year 650 indy too. Eventually went to cats because a buddy owned the cat shop and I raced for his team. Back just got so bad I had to give it up. Got a chance the other day to drive one of those turbo cats that share the motor with the turbo Yamaha. Something like a 190 hp. BOY WOULD I LOVE A GOOD BACK. That thing was a ROCKET! It pulled harder on the lake from a 60 mph roll then my last sled (a 800 crossfire cat) did from a dig. You had to actually hang on when you nailed the throttle. Probably the hardest accelerating thing ive ever drove. To understand that level of power on a sled you have to drive one. I heard people talk but always thought they were exaggerating or were novice riders. It made me feel like a novice rider!!!!
We grew up in rupps in the 1970s. We loved them. We could make them bank and jump them and make them behave almost like motorcyclez. Then, 15 years ago my brother bought a gargantuan ski doo out of a junk yard. That thing is like a truck. You can't lean into curves- it just laughs at us. We- except my brother-absolutely hate it. He treats it like a bulldozer that'll go 70 or 80. You have a snowmobile that would be perfect. I wish that was ours

Kev18
03-04-2020, 01:51 AM
first sled I bought with my own money was a 440 rupp magnum factory race sled that a guy my dad knew that raced for team rupp had just raced the eagle river race with. it had a slanted seat and not lights. Made for oval track racing. Sure made some noise! It was the fastest sled in town for about a year until I wrecked it. My ex wifes father has one of those very rare rupp 3 wheeled dune buggy type things. I forget what they were called now. Its restored and like new too. Until the merc snow twisters came along the rupp nitros and magnums and the cat eltigres were THE sleds to own. I had a few other cool ones. Had a indy txl 340 the first year they came out and that was a game changer with its independent suspension. Had a new 600 triple indy when the first year when they blew away everything. Had a first year 650 indy too. Eventually went to cats because a buddy owned the cat shop and I raced for his team. Back just got so bad I had to give it up. Got a chance the other day to drive one of those turbo cats that share the motor with the turbo Yamaha. Something like a 190 hp. BOY WOULD I LOVE A GOOD BACK. That thing was a ROCKET! It pulled harder on the lake from a 60 mph roll then my last sled (a 800 crossfire cat) did from a dig. You had to actually hang on when you nailed the throttle. Probably the hardest accelerating thing ive ever drove. To understand that level of power on a sled you have to drive one. I heard people talk but always thought they were exaggerating or were novice riders. It made me feel like a novice rider!!!!

My buddy came over today with his 2020 850 summit. Insane ride. I tried it, and it wants to rip away from you. He also paid 20,000$ for it and its the base model. No starter or anything. 154 inch track.

Lloyd Smale
03-04-2020, 06:31 AM
yup that 850 summit is quicker and faster then my 800 cross fire was but that turbo is in a different galaxy!! Comparing it to my crossfire is about like comparing a fountain off shore race boat to my 18 foot lund with a 100 hp. or my hemi ram to a hellcat! Like I said you have to drive one. The numbers don't tell the whole story. There INSANE

Kev18
03-04-2020, 11:34 AM
yup that 850 summit is quicker and faster then my 800 cross fire was but that turbo is in a different galaxy!! Comparing it to my crossfire is about like comparing a fountain off shore race boat to my 18 foot lund with a 100 hp. or my hemi ram to a hellcat! Like I said you have to drive one. The numbers don't tell the whole story. There INSANE

Im more of a slow cruising in woods kinda guy anyway. Its nice :)

Tripplebeards
03-04-2020, 11:53 AM

I just sold 4 jet skis. All vintage around the 1980’s. All went around 53 to 56 mph when I got done with them. I bought ever one for under $200 and repaired all of them in a day or two accept for one money pit I had to rebuild the upper on. Never did that before and youtube was my friend. I sold them from $1450 to $1875 each. They were fun for about 5 minutes and then it got old running around in circles with them. I love the OPs sled but hate sleds in general. When I was in my teens back in the 80’s you could buy sleds everywhere for $50. I had rups, artic cats, harleys, ect. All junk. I would get a 20 minutes of riding and they would all quit or Overheat. I bought a 1980 Yamaha 440SS with 500 miles on it that looked like brand new back in 90. It popped a piston twice on me after little use. I got rid of it and never missed riding a sled since. I had a group of friends out riding one day and one never came back. He hit a tree a looked like a bug on a windshield. The same reason I switched to Harleys over sport bikes. I could do stand up wheelies through the gears on several of my Honda 900RRs. I was clocked over 140 MPH one day doing so. I don’t know how I am still here today with all the stupid stuff I use to do one them. I haven’t even rode my Harley in last couple of years. Went from living on a motorcycle to not caring if I ever ride anymore. Kinda weird. I think I just grew up one day, or puberty wore off, and didn’t feel like I had to show off to every skirt I saw. I’d take a pontoon boat I could stand up in while I’m fishing over a speed boat now a days. Must be the slowing of my testosterone as I grow older.

jimlj
03-04-2020, 01:32 PM
To the OP, glad you found one you like.
Reading this thread reminded me of the fun I used to have, (I've owned 12 different snowmobiles over the past 40 years) and made me glad I don't own one anymore. I had Skidoos, a Rupp, several Arctic Cats, and Polaris snowmobiles. My favorite was a 2003 RMK 700. The one I couldn't wait to sell was a Arctic cat ZRT 600. I think it was the fastest of any I ever owned on hard packed trails, but instant stuck in loose snow.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-04-2020, 01:47 PM
SNIP...

The one I couldn't wait to sell was a Arctic cat XRT 600. I think it was the fastest of any I ever owned on hard packed trails, but instant stuck in loose snow.
I had a 97 Polaris XCR 440 fan...Same exact thing, fast on hard pack, instantly stuck in the fluff ...luckily that XCR was real light weight, so I could lift it out of a deep drift.

jimlj
03-04-2020, 02:07 PM
I had a 97 Polaris XCR 440 fan...Same exact thing, fast on hard pack, instantly stuck in the fluff ...luckily that XCR was real light weight, so I could lift it out of a deep drift.
I meant to say ZRT in my post. The ZRT was a liquid cooled triple cylinder triple pipe rocket. I bought it a couple years old late in the season when the snow had started setting up. I loved it for a month or so that year, but couldn't wait to sell it the next year after trying to ride on new snow. Mine had been long tracked with a 1 1/2" track. The things were heavy from the factory, not sure what the track added to mine.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Jim,
I should also clarify, because I have owned faster machines than the XCR 440. When I said "fast on hard pack"...I should have said it "feels soooo fast on hard pack". The Top end on that light machine with a fat man on it (me), was 70 mph. But with it's minimal suspension, I felt like I was flying and any slight mis-maneuver would end up in a total wipe-out.
>>>btw, that same machine going through 10" of fluff, with me on it, would top out at 30 mph...LOL.

jonp
03-04-2020, 05:40 PM
Those fans are great. Im a big "fan" of them as the less to go wrong miles from help the better in my view.

I remember those old Rupps and Scorpions for that matter. I think Lloyd brought this up before and I posted but we had a 292 TNT. Compression so high it was a bear to pull the cord. Someone had remade it as a race machine and it would haul. My first ski doo I bought with my own cash earned cutting pulp one winter was a Kawasaki Invader. Really ahead of its time I think in styling and perfomance. A 440, I never found the top end as it just kept picking up speed.

Last one I owned was a Polaris Firecat 700 with the long track. Fast doesn't begin to cover that bright orange sled. I never ran against a production sled that could go from start and out run it on the lake. I got it to 110 mph out running a Ski Doo Bumble Bee that didnt think I knew what a sled was and that wasn't top end. Buddy I bought it from raced and said he had his wife on the back and hit 120mph down a road. I believe him. I lived at my hunting camp a few years back in the woods. Only way in during winter was walk or skidoo. Twice a week I would wait for the groomers to go by and around 10 pm take off. Miles run at 60 mph just like a highway down double groomed all by myself.

Boy, in high school we had a gang that would ride up to our friends farm, help him finish chores and go out riding half the night. Good memories. We had everything from a Motor Ski to a Polaris Colt SS to my Invader to a Ski Doo Blizzard 9500 to a John Deere Spitfire, old 340 Ski Doos. Just went as fast as the slowest could go. Never went out without tools, belts etc just in case and a tow rope. Much fun rolling through the fields and sugar bushes by moonlight, stopping for fuzzy navels and just howling at the moon good times in the middle of nowhere at -20.;

Kev18
03-04-2020, 11:09 PM
Question for you guys.I rode the sled for two days, even 4 hours straight with my girlfriend through deep snow no problem. Now its been 2 days and it randomly bogs down. You could be going in a straight line full throttle or along a hill side, doesnt matter. Even does it when you give gas on a fresh pull. It just doesnt take the gas, it bogs down and doesnt go forward.

We cleaned the carb, checked the fuel pump, checked oil pump... We're sending it to a mechanic in a couple days.

Three44s
03-05-2020, 12:08 AM
Clutch and still the carb.

Three44s

Rally
03-05-2020, 03:28 AM
Try filling the gas tank all the way. The way the tank is mounted in the machine it almost gravity feeds. Give it a good run, or try to replicate when it was bogging before. If filling the tank fixes the problem, replace the fuel pump. The fuel pumps are a pulse/ diaghram type pump, and it doesn't take much to perforate the diaghram. If it is a lack of fuel problem, you can also use the primer pump to give it a little more fuel, while running, just to see if the additional fuel helps with the bogging down.
You should also take the primer pump outlet line off, and pump a cup of fuel into a clear glass and see what your fuel looks like. Since it was a used machine you never know what has been put in the fuel, and if the fuel is contaminated, you are just pumping more dirt into the carb you just cleaned.

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2020, 10:04 AM
you should have tried 60 on that 69 tnt. Felt like a 100!!
Jim,
I should also clarify, because I have owned faster machines than the XCR 440. When I said "fast on hard pack"...I should have said it "feels soooo fast on hard pack". The Top end on that light machine with a fat man on it (me), was 70 mph. But with it's minimal suspension, I felt like I was flying and any slight mis-maneuver would end up in a total wipe-out.
>>>btw, that same machine going through 10" of fluff, with me on it, would top out at 30 mph...LOL.

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2020, 10:06 AM
make sure you have good gas with NO ALCOHOL and a new set of plugs before you start ripping into it. If you have alcohol laced fuel dump it and drain your carbs.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-05-2020, 10:55 AM
you should have tried 60 on that 69 tnt. Felt like a 100!!

I was 14 (in 1979) when I bought a used 72 TNT 340. It was fast for a older stock sled, But I never got to spend much time in the seat, and surely never got to 60mph. The test drive was thrilling. After paying for it, I drove it home and it started to sound funny and lacked power. One of the cylinders blew. My Dad talked to the seller for me, and he bought it back.

Kev18
03-05-2020, 11:13 AM
Try filling the gas tank all the way. The way the tank is mounted in the machine it almost gravity feeds. Give it a good run, or try to replicate when it was bogging before. If filling the tank fixes the problem, replace the fuel pump. The fuel pumps are a pulse/ diaghram type pump, and it doesn't take much to perforate the diaghram. If it is a lack of fuel problem, you can also use the primer pump to give it a little more fuel, while running, just to see if the additional fuel helps with the bogging down.
You should also take the primer pump outlet line off, and pump a cup of fuel into a clear glass and see what your fuel looks like. Since it was a used machine you never know what has been put in the fuel, and if the fuel is contaminated, you are just pumping more dirt into the carb you just cleaned.

That makes sense. Il try to give it a few pumps if it bogs down again. Il still send it to a competent mechanic. When we were messing around in it, for the carb and such, we had to empty fuel lines, so we gave it a few pumps and cranked and cranked. When we were doing that, an extremely small hole (factory drilled) on the gas pump was squirting gas, ALOT OF GAS. Like a water gun, but it stops when the sled runs.

Tripplebeards
03-05-2020, 11:53 AM
My smith bought a snow dog that past year. He said it weighs about a 100 pounds and is compact so he can load it in and out of the back of his truck easily. I think I’d rather have a sled.

https://youtu.be/EaDE0RiEgdc

I forgot I had a scorpion stinger as well think it was a 72’ model and went about 20/30 mph max. Drive it for about 5/10 minutes and it would bog down and not move but the engine would keep running.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-05-2020, 04:43 PM
I like that snowdog :)

Rally
03-05-2020, 06:49 PM
Kev18,
If the fuel pump was pumping fuel out the vent hole (meant for air) the fuel pump is shot. They are an easy fix and cost about $22.00 (US). It is a good idea since the fuel pump is leaking, to also drain the tank and flush it out good. If you just added fuel to the tank when you bought it, and the fuel pump is leaking, it's a fair chance that dirt in the tank could have been the reason.
I'd encourage a young guy like you to do the repair yourself. It is a easy fix and there won't be a mechanic if it breaks down in the bush, half way to the cabin, when it's -20.[smilie=2:

Lloyd Smale
03-06-2020, 05:27 AM
looks like those old huskys they made in the mid 60s. They had a front that was similar but bigger and a two person seat that sat up on two skis in the back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAyXYFX3nvk
My smith bought a snow dog that past year. He said it weighs about a 100 pounds and is compact so he can load it in and out of the back of his truck easily. I think I’d rather have a sled.

https://youtu.be/EaDE0RiEgdc

I forgot I had a scorpion stinger as well think it was a 72’ model and went about 20/30 mph max. Drive it for about 5/10 minutes and it would bog down and not move but the engine would keep running.

Kev18
03-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Kev18,
If the fuel pump was pumping fuel out the vent hole (meant for air) the fuel pump is shot. They are an easy fix and cost about $22.00 (US). It is a good idea since the fuel pump is leaking, to also drain the tank and flush it out good. If you just added fuel to the tank when you bought it, and the fuel pump is leaking, it's a fair chance that dirt in the tank could have been the reason.
I'd encourage a young guy like you to do the repair yourself. It is a easy fix and there won't be a mechanic if it breaks down in the bush, half way to the cabin, when it's -20.[smilie=2:

It worked good for two days then would bog down. i took apart the pump and it looks ok, but il get a new one. I Just went to the cabin today and I had to pull my sleigh full of stuff by hand, on foot... Like a peasant :( I went for a walk, not a ride :(

fastdadio
03-06-2020, 10:18 PM
The corn syrup that's being put in our fuel these days is not good for the vintage machines. The alcohol can rapidly degrade rubber seals and diaphragms, swell/warp certain types of plastic gas tanks, and cause corrosion in fuel lines and float bowls. I highly recommend using alcohol free recreation fuel when ever possible for all your small engines.
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Kev18
03-07-2020, 09:49 PM
The corn syrup that's being put in our fuel these days is not good for the vintage machines. The alcohol can rapidly degrade rubber seals and diaphragms, swell/warp certain types of plastic gas tanks, and cause corrosion in fuel lines and float bowls. I highly recommend using alcohol free recreation fuel when ever possible for all your small engines.
https://www.pure-gas.org/

I only use Super 91 or 91 if possible. Thats a good website! Thanks.

jonp
03-08-2020, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the site! There are mistakes in it so be careful and take the time to update it yourself

lpel
03-09-2020, 11:15 AM
You are a lucky man. We put tons of rough miles on those machines up north back in my working day. They are a tough machine. I’d love be to get one now that I’m retired to use for calling coyotes. Only machine that was nicer ( well maybe not) is the old Elans. You could fit them in an Otter.

Kev18
03-09-2020, 10:35 PM
You are a lucky man. We put tons of rough miles on those machines up north back in my working day. They are a tough machine. I’d love be to get one now that I’m retired to use for calling coyotes. Only machine that was nicer ( well maybe not) is the old Elans. You could fit them in an Otter.

Dont like Elans. They are weak and short. They get stuck everywhere. Only good thing about them is that they weigh nothing.

Lloyd Smale
03-10-2020, 06:38 AM
had an 800 zrt. Between those zrts the thundercats and the Yamaha srx triples no snowmobiles ever sounded better. It would make your spine tingle. They both were rockets in there day. Not quite what the ones today will do but still not slouches compared to them. biggest problem with them was they were front heavy and didn't do well in powder. Blasting across the lake was there forte!
I meant to say ZRT in my post. The ZRT was a liquid cooled triple cylinder triple pipe rocket. I bought it a couple years old late in the season when the snow had started setting up. I loved it for a month or so that year, but couldn't wait to sell it the next year after trying to ride on new snow. Mine had been long tracked with a 1 1/2" track. The things were heavy from the factory, not sure what the track added to mine.

Kev18
03-12-2020, 10:27 AM
I went to go get the ski-doo back from the mechanic. He pretty much tuned everything and checked everything. He said there was a gas tank air hose that was pinched against the frame , so he passed it around somewhere else.
Tuned the carb.
checked the oil pump.
Checked the gas pump. A good pump has 7lbs of pressure. Mine has 7.5.

He says he thinks there might be alittle bit of water in the gas, and because I told him that the gas was coming out the pump vent hole, he suggested that if it does it again, to change the pump.
Machine is in top notch condition, starts first pull. He collects old ski-doos, and said this one is in great condition.

Lloyd Smale
03-14-2020, 05:48 AM
glad you got it sorted out.

Kev18
03-14-2020, 08:21 AM
I went fora ride and it works really nice now. Im running out of snow at home, il need to take it to the cottage this weekend.

Kev18
03-20-2020, 01:14 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2znu4fD.jpg

Lloyd Smale
03-21-2020, 06:55 AM
come on up here. We are still measuring it in feet!
I went fora ride and it works really nice now. Im running out of snow at home, il need to take it to the cottage this weekend.

Kev18
03-21-2020, 11:13 AM
come on up here. We are still measuring it in feet!

I have around 4-5 feet at the cottage too. Its hard and packed but still works nice.