PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to hand load for 16" AR 15 ?

Elroy
02-29-2020, 06:32 PM
I am one of the few folks that have never had an AR,and just got my first yesterday.I was at Bridgeport Equipment yesterday,and they were selling cheap single shot shotguns for $39 bucks with the purchase of any gun $300,and up.I figured I would look at their guns,and narrowed it down to 3,a Savage Axis 2 hardwood with cheap glass for $360,a Howa 223 bolt (looked like a cheaply made 700 action,and had a cheap plastic rim protruding around the magazine well) it was grey synthetic ,no glass just bases for $329,or $339,I can't remember,and a cheap(optics ready) Del Ton 16" AR for $379..I ended up walking out with the AR,and a cheap ATI 410 (gift for Grandson) for a little less than $450 after tax.I thought about loading for it,but am on the fence.A cheap bullet is around $0.10,and almost $0.15 for powder,and primer..I can pick up cheap Winchester white box for around $40.00 per 150 rounds,which is only about $0.02 more than the cheapest way I could load..I could use that steel case stuff,and save a little more,but I don't think it would be wise..I know the Winchester stuff won't be great ammo,but I don't expect this rifle to be much in terms of accuracy even with good ammo..What do you folks recommend ? I am all ears...Thanks

Winger Ed.
02-29-2020, 06:50 PM
I scrounge around looking for bulk packages of factory seconds, or GI bullet pulls.
Midway, Natchez, or Jeff Bartlett are good sources.

Then load them with Win. 748 at about 75% of the max load.

Plenty accurate enough for me with open sights, fun to shoot, not real expensive,
they don't put much stress on the gun, and you're not shooting that shotgun pattern size group-- garbage ammo.

M-Tecs
02-29-2020, 06:51 PM
It depends on how much and the type of shooting you are going to do. For blasting the cheap ball is adequate. For varmints/hunting or more serious targets not so much. Some of the really cheap barrels shoot really well. I build match and service rifles. When the AR panic was on it was cheaper for me to purchase the complete uppers verse individual parts. Maybe 25% that I tested would shoot well under 1 MOA, about 50% would be 1 to 1 1/4" MOA and the remained would be around 1 1/2. Out of a couple dozen tested never had one that was much over 1 1/2".

Between competition and prairie dog loads I've never crimped one and I've loaded and fired over 100,000.

gnostic
02-29-2020, 07:02 PM
Loading for your AR is worth doing, as your ammo is better quality than store bought military ball. I load Hornady 55 grain SP bullets for around 9 cents each in a once fired case, that I size with SB dies, trim, spruce up the primer pocket and flash hole. My AR-15 in 5.56, shoots MOA with my handloads and about 2.5'' with 193 military ball...

nagantguy
02-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Absolutely; you’ll be amazed at just how accurate the M4gery can be and delton seems to produce some barrels that really shoot, Varget is your best friend for loading 5.56/223 in the AR platform.

Elroy
02-29-2020, 07:14 PM
Thanks Guys! I just was the impression that 4" groups were all that could be reasonably expected from the cheap light barreled ARs..I load for a Savage Axis in 223,as well as a Henry single shot in 223/5.56.I get good accuracy with both..I have 223 FL dies,but do not have a crimp die .Is it necessary to crimp for the AR ?

Winger Ed.
02-29-2020, 07:33 PM
but do not have a crimp die .Is it necessary to crimp for the AR ?

You might not need it for your application, but I'd encourage it.
I use a taper crimp on mine, and have never had a set back issue.

nicholst55
02-29-2020, 08:21 PM
IMHO, crimping .223 ammo for an AR is unnecessary. Seems like nobody ever worried about crimping .223 for the first 30 years or so. Then the marketing guys decided that they could sell additional dies if they convinced everyone that they need to crimp. The vast majority of bullets used in this cartridge don't have a cannelure, so taper crimping is the only real option.

Elroy
02-29-2020, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the advise.I appreciate it all.

oconeedan
02-29-2020, 09:31 PM
You may find the "cheap AR" will shoot "cheap ammo" better than you expected. I find it hard to justify the time to load for my AR/AK for plinking and playing at the range. BUT, I will load ammo for the AR for hunting, which is limited use.
My reloading time is better used for match guns, hunting ammo, and ammo that is just plain expensive or impossible to find.
Dan

sghart3578
02-29-2020, 11:17 PM
Your math is correct, at least as far as my experience goes. The cheapest I can find 223/5.56 around here is $.29 per round.

The primers are $.04 ea and powder at about $.12 per round. 55gr FMJ's are about $.10 ea after shipping so I am not saving a lot.

But I still load a bunch of 223. I still have a pile (thousands) of 55gr FMJ's that I got for about $.04 ea in one of those "too good to pass up" kinda deals. And I am working off 7 lbs. of H335 that was basically given to me.

So with those conditions my ammo is cheap. But if I were paying full price then I would just buy my 223 ammo. My favorite local gun store has 300 rd boxes of Federal Black Packs for $83 plus tax.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2020, 06:47 AM
yup like was posted just for the accuracy alone its worth it. Add to that that it might be close if you compare buying a 100 new brass, powder and primer compared to factory ball but when you factor in that you can use that brass 5 times or more it makes subsequent loadings much cheaper then factory. Also add to that that nobody in the right mind would buy factory new brass for a 556. Most ranges you can pick it off the ground or buy it here for 1/3 the price. Ball bullets can be found cheap and pulled ball bullets even cheaper yet. Do some scrounging and find some brass cheap or free, buy a 1000 ball bullets for a 100 bucks a brick of primers for 30 and powder and you might have 200 bucks into a 1000 rounds. Show me where I can buy it loaded for that.

dverna
03-01-2020, 07:18 AM
You can get 6000 Hornady 55gr SP or FMJ for $400 when they go on sale. OF cases are cheap. Reloading makes sense to me.

Ed_Shot
03-01-2020, 08:55 AM
+1 for handloads. Recently got a budget 5.56 upper from PSA. First range trip using my first ever 5.56 reloads with mixed range pick-up brass, Hornady 55 gr SPBT's (8 cents each), over AA-2230, with a $35 Tasco scope and mil-spec trigger produced 1/2" 5 shot groups @100 yds. I'm sold.

GhostHawk
03-01-2020, 09:23 AM
I would say if you are mostly doing full mag dumps in under a minute, no.

But if you want each round to hit where you put it, then emphatically yes.

I pulled apart a box of tuleammo 7.62x39, weighed each charge and bullet and was shocked at the variance between rounds.
5 grains difference in powder from low to high and near that in bullets.

I know I paid 7 cents for my .223 55 gr fmj, but that was a few years ago.
I have also loaded some squirrel rounds for my single shot .223. 55 gr bator bullet lubed with BLL, over 3-4 grains of Red Dot. Would not cycle the action on an ar, but the were at least as accurate and quiet as a .22lr. 10 shots at a 100 yards, assuming aim point was a squirrel eye, it would have been 10 head shot squirrels. Impact point was some 5-6 inches below original factory sighting point. But it can be done. All depends on what you want to do with it.

Elroy
03-01-2020, 10:28 AM
I sure do thank you all.I will end up loading for it..I had no idea that it could possibly be even remotely accurate.I have it scoped now,and got a bipod on it,but will probably get a red dot for it.The scope makes it a pain to get a good pull on the charging handle.

Texas by God
03-01-2020, 10:39 AM
I shot a cousin's. 224 Valykrie last weekend that could have used some hand loads. Federal 90gr Fusions grouped 2" @100. My FN15 would do 1" with 80 gr Vmax over H335.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Earlwb
03-01-2020, 10:42 AM
I think that it can be worth it to reload for the .223 Rem or 5.56 Nato. You get to pick and choose the bullets more. Plus it can be cost effective and lower your costs for shooting too. it can be fun and turn into a hobby too.

The low cost ammunition with full metal jacket bullets is very attractive though. But around my area, none of the gun ranges will let you shoot rifle ammunition with FMJ bullets. It could be steel core and tear up the backstops or is a potential fire hazard due to sparks when it hits rocks etc. down range. Unfortunately, the ammunition with hollow point or soft point bullets costs more.

FergusonTO35
03-01-2020, 04:48 PM
You can split the difference by substituting quality bullets into cheap ammo. I pull the original FMJ and install Hornady soft points into Tula steel case .223's. My M16 lookalike will make golf ball size groups at 100 yards no problem using the carry handle sights and a bipod.

Jack Stanley
03-01-2020, 06:35 PM
A safe bet would be to buy components now while they are pretty cheap and shoot the Winchester white box or similar ammo as you can afford it saving the components for when ammo cost goes nuts again .

Stay away from the steel case ammo for the AR unless you want trouble to find you .

Jack

Elroy
03-01-2020, 07:15 PM
I just got done loading a small batch of 52 gr HP match(Blems from midway I think they are Sierra Matchking) on top of 26gr Win 748.I am going to load an equal batch of 55 gr Hornady softpoints also with 748,and some 63 gr softpoint blems,and some 70gr Speer semi spitzers with CFE223..I hope to try it out here in a few days.

JMax
03-01-2020, 07:24 PM
My Howa bolt and Bear Creek upper prefer 62 gr bullets vs 55 and I hand load to optimize accuracy. Enjoy

Cheeto303
03-01-2020, 09:29 PM
I would say yes,absolutely. I bought my first AR in 1978. Colt SP1. I still have it. My second purchase was an RCBS Rock Chuck reloading kit which I still have and use . I have no clue how many rds of 5.56 I've loaded in the the last 42 years. If plan on shooting a lot I'd definitely reload. Also keep an eye on Midsouth shooters supply for components. I'll bet components are going to get scarce again when corona panic set in.

Lloyd Smale
03-02-2020, 07:23 AM
kind of a good point. Its one of the most widely useful rounds out there. It can be loaded down to near 22lr ballistics with a cast bullet or 22 hornet levels with a cast bullet as long as you don't mind running it manually. THen you can load full metal jacketed bullets cheap and go blasting. Next day you can load up some 55 grain soft points shoot moa and go varmint hunting. Next day load some partitions or barnes x and go deer hunting and then the next load up some 69s and go do some real long range shooting. All with a rifle that just as at home with those chores as it is actually protecting your home and family.
I think that it can be worth it to reload for the .223 Rem or 5.56 Nato. You get to pick and choose the bullets more. Plus it can be cost effective and lower your costs for shooting too. it can be fun and turn into a hobby too.

The low cost ammunition with full metal jacket bullets is very attractive though. But around my area, none of the gun ranges will let you shoot rifle ammunition with FMJ bullets. It could be steel core and tear up the backstops or is a potential fire hazard due to sparks when it hits rocks etc. down range. Unfortunately, the ammunition with hollow point or soft point bullets costs more.

dverna
03-02-2020, 10:06 AM
kind of a good point. Its one of the most widely useful rounds out there. It can be loaded down to near 22lr ballistics with a cast bullet or 22 hornet levels with a cast bullet as long as you don't mind running it manually. THen you can load full metal jacketed bullets cheap and go blasting. Next day you can load up some 55 grain soft points shoot moa and go varmint hunting. Next day load some partitions or barnes x and go deer hunting and then the next load up some 69s and go do some real long range shooting. All with a rifle that just as at home with those chores as it is actually protecting your home and family.

Lloyd nailed it. I have a rifle/caliber for every task and pleasure that suits me. But if I had to have only one rifle, it would be the AR15 with a few uppers. And if I was restricted to one caliber, it would be the 5.56 and a variety of jacketed bullets.

Bigslug
03-02-2020, 10:18 AM
It's worth having the loading equipment.

Worth loading for? I dunno about that.

The cheap ball ammo out of M4-type guns with combat style iron sights or optics usually makes for about a 1-2 MOA platform. I don't have a need for more than that from that sort of rifle, and my time is worth something to me - certainly an additional two cents a round.

ShooterAZ
03-02-2020, 11:03 AM
I've got a few flavors of 223 AR. All of them show the benefit of improved accuracy with judiciously handloaded ammo. My match rifles have never seen a factory load in them. No, you're not going to save money by doing it! It's all part of the fun for me.

Elroy
03-02-2020, 11:38 AM
I will probably buy some white box just for an emergency,and for the brass,but I have made up my mind to find a good load,or two for it.I loaded up 4 different loads with different bullets last night.I just went with medium charges,and 2.25 seating depth on all because I think that is about as long as the mag will feed..It is going to be nice in a couple days,and I will try them out..I have been watching too many YouTube videos,and think that an upgrade to a free float hand guard may be something to consider. Mine has the plastic one held on with the Delta ring.Do the free float one improve accuracy much?

flint45
03-02-2020, 02:03 PM
I had a awesome Del-Ton that shoot real well factory or handloads sad day when it fell of our boat and went to the bottom of the river. Handloads for me got the bullets I wanted and still pretty cheap.

Elroy
03-02-2020, 02:42 PM
I had a awesome Del-Ton that shoot real well factory or handloads sad day when it fell of our boat and went to the bottom of the river. Handloads for me got the bullets I wanted and still pretty cheap.
I hate that you lost your rifle in a boating accident.That's been happening a lot lately.

kerplode
03-02-2020, 02:47 PM
For me personally, I'm at a stage in my life where I have more available money than available time, and it's currently not worth the investment of time to load commodity calibers (9mm,5.56, etc.). The commercial blaster-grade ball ammo for those is widely available, inexpensive, and good enough for what I use it for. I enjoy handloading, but the opportunity cost of sitting at the press for hours to crank out some 9mm or 5.56 ball is just too great when I have lots of other things to do and I can buy substantially similar ammo for < $0.30/rd.

I do keep tools and stock comps for the commodity calibers, however, because this cost equation might easily change at any point in the future...

Winnie1886-4065TC
03-02-2020, 04:29 PM
whether its the 16" barrel upper or the 20" upper I shoot nothing but reloads through them. never a problem and my barrels are in wonderful shape.
currently loading 223 for roughly 24 cents a round

FergusonTO35
03-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Stay away from the steel case ammo for the AR unless you want trouble to find you .

Jack

Would you care to explain just what kind of trouble can happen with steel case ammo in an AR? I ask because mine shoots Tula 55 grain .223 really well with no malfunctions. I don't blast away or do mag dumps, I aim every shot. In fact, I don't think the barrel has ever gotten more than a little above ambient temperature. One guy told me that steel case is hard on extractors. All I know is we sell tons of Tula .223 at work and people just keep coming back for more.

TheGrimReaper
03-02-2020, 06:03 PM
How's

Alot of gun for the money

Jack Stanley
03-02-2020, 06:33 PM
Broken extractors is what I was refering to but , if it works for you that's great .

Jack

Elroy
03-02-2020, 06:45 PM
How's

Alot of gun for the money

I almost bought that little Howa 223 they had for $329 because I have heard the brand is well thought of.I thought it was ugly due to the grayish green stock,and the lips around the mag well,but I think it is made like that to take AR mags.I may be wrong.I already have an Axis,and Henry in 223,but that little Howa is tempting.

dverna
03-02-2020, 07:52 PM
One thing to consider. Loading blasting ammunition on a SS press may not make economic sense. But if you shoot a lot, moving to a progressive could change things. I do not have my spreadsheet handy but IIRC I save about $.08-.10 per round. Making 50/hr does not save much...$4-5/hr.

I am currently loading test rounds using a Co-Ax. Once I have a load, I will likely use one of the 550’s. I can do 250-300/hr on it without pushing hard. I do not plan to shoot enough to justify loading 5.56 on the 1050.

FergusonTO35
03-02-2020, 08:40 PM
Broken extractors is what I was refering to but , if it works for you that's great .

Jack

Thanks. I read an article on Lucky Gunner which stated that the Russky ammo actually has a bimetallic jacket which wears the bore faster than the usual copper jacket. I really love my rifle so I'll limit the use of that stuff.

Lloyd Smale
03-03-2020, 07:02 AM
give me only one rifle and it would hands down be an ar15. It would be a tough choice between a 556 and a blackout. The blackout gives you the option or making practical rounds with cast bullets and is harder hitting but it gives up the 300 yard plus range the 556 has. Maybe a lower with a good drop in trigger and a 556 rifle upper and a 300 bo pistol upper. Id have to find a way to pear it down though. I don't think I could take off in the woods with all 14 of my ARs!!! Maybe the rifle and pistol upper and one of my 9mm handguns. Probably my 19 glock. There would be a few ars and 9s that would be tough to leave behind. even ar15s in 9mm!
Lloyd nailed it. I have a rifle/caliber for every task and pleasure that suits me. But if I had to have only one rifle, it would be the AR15 with a few uppers. And if I was restricted to one caliber, it would be the 5.56 and a variety of jacketed bullets.

6bg6ga
03-03-2020, 07:32 AM
I've got a few flavors of 223 AR. All of them show the benefit of improved accuracy with judiciously handloaded ammo. My match rifles have never seen a factory load in them. No, you're not going to save money by doing it! It's all part of the fun for me.

Definitely not going to save money once you consider the costs involved in the purchase of the reloading equipment involved. At first wow it sounds good because you can reload a round for xx cents less than the one you buy. You simply have to do it for the love of the sport. You spend xxx number of dollars purchasing a scale, dies, reloading press, head space gauge, vernier caliper and so forth just to save a few cents per round. This doesn't even take into consideration your time, a bench to bolt everything down to, the cost of beer or other consumables, a TV to watch or listen to while your reloading and a few basic comforts such as heat and air conditioning.

3006guns
03-03-2020, 01:43 PM
Be aware.........when I loaded for my AR, NONE of the rounds would fully chamber in the gun! This led to some pretty frustrating moments in the field, let me tell you.

I bought two items that solved the problem: A case gauge to check the assembled ammo, and a SMALL BASE DIE. I had been using brand new RCBS dies but evidently my gun has a rather tight chamber. I ended up pulling about 500 bullets after checking the rounds in the gauge, and resizing the cases with the small base die. Using those two tools gave me reliable feeding and peace of mind.

Ed_Shot
03-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Be aware.........when I loaded for my AR, NONE of the rounds would fully chamber in the gun! This led to some pretty frustrating moments in the field, let me tell you.

I bought two items that solved the problem: A case gauge to check the assembled ammo, and a SMALL BASE DIE. I had been using brand new RCBS dies but evidently my gun has a rather tight chamber. I ended up pulling about 500 bullets after checking the rounds in the gauge, and resizing the cases with the small base die. Using those two tools gave me reliable feeding and peace of mind.

Went thru the chambering frustration phase forming my own 300 BO brass. Bought a case gauge and then SB dies. For my 5.56 upper I went right to the RCBS Small Base dies and saved money not buying a case gauge. So far no issues with mixed range pick-up brass.

Elroy
03-03-2020, 04:37 PM
I shot about 30 rounds today,and I was pleased with all loads EXCEPT the 70gr Speer ,They would not group,and I had a jam with one.The bent shell is pictured with the target ..The best 5 shot group was with the 63 gr Soft Point Blems,but the others shot pretty good as well considering they are the first loads with each bullet.I had block up my chair because I had my bipod extended,and a wooden block under the butt to clear the mag.I have one metal mag,and three cheap Thermold mags.I plan to cut one down to about 10 round length. ....I do think I need to get a small base sizing die.257904257905257906257907257908

Elroy
03-03-2020, 06:50 PM
I have been looking at case gauges,and small base dies on Amazon,and EBay,and they are all for 223..Is that what I need ,or do they need to be for 5.56Nato.I know it is probably a dumb question,but I need to be sure before I order..Thanks..The dies that I used to size the brass are RCBS standard Full Length 223 .

Winger Ed.
03-03-2020, 06:54 PM
or do they need to be for 5.56Nato..

They are supposed to interchange.
But I'd get ones that specifically said they will work for 5.56.
If nothing else, the 5.56 ones should be small base.

Lloyd Smale
03-04-2020, 06:27 AM
I use small base dies for all my ars that there made for. That and I trim brass after every shooting. I also never push overall length. I don't load ANY 223 to just off the lands on my bolt guns. Its all seated to have room to spare in an ar magazine. I know it sounds like work but with a progressive press and a Dillon power trimmer it goes fast. Yup I wont argue that some guns don't need small base sizing but ive never seen it hurt brass life to any real level or to hurt accuracy to ANY level and dies cost about the same and its no more work. No real reason not to small base size. Ive got 8 556 ar15s and two bolt 223s. I want all my ammo to work in ALL of my guns. These two steps insure it.

6bg6ga
03-04-2020, 08:39 AM
I use small base dies for all my ars that there made for. That and I trim brass after every shooting. I also never push overall length. I don't load ANY 223 to just off the lands on my bolt guns. Its all seated to have room to spare in an ar magazine. I know it sounds like work but with a progressive press and a Dillon power trimmer it goes fast. Yup I wont argue that some guns don't need small base sizing but ive never seen it hurt brass life to any real level or to hurt accuracy to ANY level and dies cost about the same and its no more work. No real reason not to small base size. Ive got 8 556 ar15s and two bolt 223s. I want all my ammo to work in ALL of my guns. These two steps insure it.

Absolutely! Small base dies are the way to go. Ammo needs to work period. Not being able to chamber a a round has to be embarrassing for those unwilling to do the investigation needed in order to purchase the correct equipment. Small base dies have their purpose and that is to fl resize brass so it can be easily loaded into your semi automatics chamber without failure. The same is true with ANY semi automatic caliber. As Lloyd also mentioned the correct length along with internal and external deburring completes the case prep. No case goes unchecked.

dverna
03-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Definitely not going to save money once you consider the costs involved in the purchase of the reloading equipment involved. At first wow it sounds good because you can reload a round for xx cents less than the one you buy. You simply have to do it for the love of the sport. You spend xxx number of dollars purchasing a scale, dies, reloading press, head space gauge, vernier caliper and so forth just to save a few cents per round. This doesn't even take into consideration your time, a bench to bolt everything down to, the cost of beer or other consumables, a TV to watch or listen to while your reloading and a few basic comforts such as heat and air conditioning.

If all someone needs is FMJ blasting ammunition, the savings (if loading on a SS press) are marginal and not worth my time. If someone either wants optimum accuracy and/or specific bullet performance, reloading is warranted. Last price on factory 55 gr FMJ was $300, if you can pick up and sell the brass, sell it for $50...net cost $250/1000. Loading the 55 gr Hornady SP, my cost is $200/1000. $50 savings.

50/hr on a SS - nets a saving of $2.50/hr
300/hr on a 550 - nets a saving of $15/hr

In any case, I expect nearly every one on this forum reloads, so the only added costs are dies and possibly a cartridge check gauge.

The FMJ bullet does not fit my needs unless the SHTF and two-legged critters are a concern. So, I decided to reload.

Lloyd Smale
03-06-2020, 05:36 AM
I guess then a guy could make the same argument for 9mms 40s 45acps even 44 mags 357s ect. I guess why even cast bullets. I know ive probably got enough into loading and casting equiptment and supplys that if I spent it on ammo id probably never run out. But id rather stick a hot poker in my eye. I think most of us for the most part already have the loading gear or we wouldn't be on a cast bullet sight in the first place. I think ive bought maybe 4 or 5 boxes of factory ammo in the last 30 years. Theres no way id be convinced I could buy ball ammo cheaper then I can make it myself. Not with bulk ball bullets and brass I get for the most part for free. Plus what the hell would I do with my time in the winter:coffeecom loading and casting and shooting are my passions.
If all someone needs is FMJ blasting ammunition, the savings (if loading on a SS press) are marginal and not worth my time. If someone either wants optimum accuracy and/or specific bullet performance, reloading is warranted. Last price on factory 55 gr FMJ was $300, if you can pick up and sell the brass, sell it for $50...net cost $250/1000. Loading the 55 gr Hornady SP, my cost is $200/1000. $50 savings.

50/hr on a SS - nets a saving of $2.50/hr
300/hr on a 550 - nets a saving of $15/hr

In any case, I expect nearly every one on this forum reloads, so the only added costs are dies and possibly a cartridge check gauge.

The FMJ bullet does not fit my needs unless the SHTF and two-legged critters are a concern. So, I decided to reload.

Shawlerbrook
03-06-2020, 04:16 PM
Agreed. And for many reloading and casting is just another way to enjoy and participate in the shooting sports.

Elroy
03-06-2020, 05:40 PM
I would miss reloading if I ever stopped,but I don't exactly enjoy it.I do enjoy shooting,and appreciate accuracy,and was very surprised that a cheap AR15 has the potential for decent accuracy,so I intend to load for it.I just slapped one of those Chinese Weaver branded package gun scopes on it,because I intend to run a red dot,or reflex on it down the road.I thank all you who responded for all the knowledge you have shared.

FLINTNFIRE
03-09-2020, 10:55 PM
I load for the 16 inch ar and for the longer barrels and the different calibers , and because I do like to load myself self sufficiency and I enjoy doing things for myself , besides when I am at work I notice the kids call to get some ammo when they are going shooting , I buy bullets when I see a good buy , stock up when I can as lean times and scarcity come along more frequently in this hobby , buy powder when it is on sale , surplus powders were and sometimes still are a sweet deal , many do not buy the surplus slow powders and miss out on a lot of cheaper shooting ,in my opinion reloading for all my firearms makes sense .

NuJudge
03-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Specialty ammo is where you can save money hand loading now, or if you buy a lot of components cheap from an estate. The cheap factory ammo you can find will be mostly 55 and 62gr FMJ, which will put holes in paper. If you wanted to shoot woodchucks or other varmints, you'd want a lighter expanding bullet. Your barrel probably has a 1:9" barrel, which may stabilize up to a 75gr bullet, and you could load bullets up to that weight for better wind resistance or deer hunting.

Elroy
03-15-2020, 08:05 PM
Specialty ammo is where you can save money hand loading now, or if you buy a lot of components cheap from an estate. The cheap factory ammo you can find will be mostly 55 and 62gr FMJ, which will put holes in paper. If you wanted to shoot woodchucks or other varmints, you'd want a lighter expanding bullet. Your barrel probably has a 1:9" barrel, which may stabilize up to a 75gr bullet, and you could load bullets up to that weight for better wind resistance or deer hunting.
You are correct it does have the 1-9 twist.I ordered a good bit of that cheap Norma Tac from Bud's just to play with a little,and to have on hand for an emergency,and it shoots better than one would think considering the low price..I ended up buying that Howa rifle that I thought was ugly after reading up on it.It is a 1500 mini action,and is a 22" in 1-8 twist.I was wrong about it taking AR 15 mags,but it did come with one ten round mag.

fcvan
03-25-2020, 12:57 AM
Would you care to explain just what kind of trouble can happen with steel case ammo in an AR? I ask because mine shoots Tula 55 grain .223 really well with no malfunctions. I don't blast away or do mag dumps, I aim every shot. In fact, I don't think the barrel has ever gotten more than a little above ambient temperature. One guy told me that steel case is hard on extractors. All I know is we sell tons of Tula .223 at work and people just keep coming back for more.

I watched a video where 4 identically built mil-spec AR 15 rifles where each was fired for 10,000 rounds. Remington, Winchester, Federal, and Tula. By comparison each were statistically similar in failure to feed/failure to fire.

The numbers were something like Remington (2/10000), Winchester (5/10000), Federal (3/10000), and Tula at (10/10000).

With the steel core Tula ammo the barrel was like a smooth bore after about 2500 rounds. Even at that, 10000 rounds and 4 new barrels was still cheaper. Most folks don't ever put 1000 rounds through their rifle much less buy 10000 rounds all at once. I shoot a lot and most of mine are powder coated plain base cast reloads at around 2250 fps, 2450 from a 24" single shot. Primers: $3/100, powder 4$/100, lead $1.39/100 (last time I bought lead) for powder coating I won't count but $8.39/100 total. I enjoy casting/loading/shooting so it is all well spent time. Besides, it is devastating on tin cans. I hate tin cans.

Combat Diver
03-26-2020, 05:07 AM
Looks like you pick up your AR in time with the way things are going. Now the time to reload 5.56/.223 pays for itself.

CD

Elroy
03-26-2020, 08:16 PM
Looks like you pick up your AR in time with the way things are going. Now the time to reload 5.56/.223 pays for itself.
ca

CD

Yeah,I guess the guns have been flying off the shelves..I have been enjoying the AR a good bit.I have added a lot of stuff to it,because a lot of it is stuff I had on hand,but I did buy some cheap flip up sights just for it.I now have a little Japanese made Bushnell trophy 1.75-5 shotgun scope on it,and it suits it very well aside from being glossy.I still intend to buy a red dot,or reflex for it,but have not gotten around to ordering one.I honestly know nothing about a red dot,and don't know what kind of accuracy I should expect from a cheap one vs a mid priced one.

Mitch Harrington
03-27-2020, 07:25 AM
I think it greatly depends on what the purpose of the exercise is for you. If you are just plinking, you can obviously find cheap ammo. If you want more inherent accuracy, reloading is the least expensive way to achieve that goal.