PDA

View Full Version : Lead Thermometer

trapper44shooter
02-29-2020, 12:59 PM
Hey fellas I have a digital thermometer that I could use but it will only tell me the surface temp or will a probe type be better let me know what ya fellas think

Dragonheart
02-29-2020, 02:42 PM
I use a NOE spring type probe that lets me know when the pot is ready.

Mike W1
02-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Assuming you want to measure pot temperature you want a probe. Consensus is tip 1/2" from both the side and bottom of the pot. In reality the temperature is not going to vary from top to bottom once things are settled. The heat conductivity of lead is pretty fast, and I've measured top and bottom at the same time to convince myself of that. You want the probe to have the metal shielded covering by the way.

jonp
02-29-2020, 03:23 PM
I'd go with probe

Martin Luber
02-29-2020, 03:53 PM
Free with junk bbq grills!

slide
02-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Make sure you get a probe that can handle the temp range. I use a thermometer with a k type probe for my pot. I don't use a p.i.d. I don't have a problem controlling temp with it. They can be bought pretty cheap on amazon.

44magLeo
02-29-2020, 09:54 PM
The last multi-meter I bought has a thermometer in it. It came with a probe that you could use in the pot but the insulation where the wires hook to the probe is just plastic. Can't leave it in the pot. just check the temps. It does work though. It reads in degree Celsius. Which is no great problem. Easy to find a cross reference online.
When I built my PID the controller only reads in Celsius, so I had to print out the section of the cross reference that cover the temps we use for casting. 375 degrees C is 707 Degree F That works for me.
Leo

Doubles Shooter
03-01-2020, 07:18 AM
I just started using this. I'm happy with it so far. Probe is around 8" long for different size pots.

RydForLyf
03-01-2020, 08:42 AM
T44S, to make casting life much easier, you will want to move to a digitally controlled casting pot instead of using a thermometer to check temps and here’s why...

If you are using a Lee pot like so many of us do, they do not have an actual thermostat to set a temperature. Their dial control is more like a timer that adjusts on time and rest time. There is no measurement going on. Thy rely on you watching pot temp and adjusting. The problem is that your lead level drops as you cast and the temperature rises because there is less lead, so you turn it down. Then you add lead, and your pot temp crashes, so you crank the sucker up and wait for it to heat back up, then you turn it back down. With the manual knob, you are always chasing the pot instead of casting.

A PID controller will set you free. There are lots of threads here talking about PIDs. It will cost you more than you spent on your pot, but it is one of the best investments you can make. You set your lead temp to where you want it and it does all the hard work for you. You will still have fluctuations when you add sprue or ingots, but you can do something else for a few minutes while the pot recovers for you. You’ll never touch that knob again. You can also work with cooler lead which means less lead vapor from a way too hot pot. Your casting results will improve because you will be able to build a natural rhythm because the lead temp will always be about the same.

A PID will set you free!

kmw1954
03-01-2020, 04:23 PM
If you are using a Lee pot like so many of us do,

A PID controller will set you free. There are lots of threads here talking about PIDs. It will cost you more than you spent on your pot, but it is one of the best investments you can make.

A PID will set you free!

Does that work for Everyone?

I am using a Lee Pro IV pot and it takes me about as long to reach temp with a full pot and then cool it down with a 1/2 pot as it does to cast what I use/need. I am only casting about 1 pot full of alloy at a time. Cast down to about 1/2 full, refill once and finished when back down to about 1/2 a pot. How long would it take to see a payoff for a PID this way? Heck I don't even have a Thermometer!

RydForLyf
03-01-2020, 06:41 PM
Does that work for Everyone?

I am using a Lee Pro IV pot and it takes me about as long to reach temp with a full pot and then cool it down with a 1/2 pot as it does to cast what I use/need. I am only casting about 1 pot full of alloy at a time. Cast down to about 1/2 full, refill once and finished when back down to about 1/2 a pot. How long would it take to see a payoff for a PID this way? Heck I don't even have a Thermometer!

In your situation, there’s no way to calculate a payoff for anything. For us hobbyists, the value of everything we put into the hobby is based on the value we perceive we get from the expense. It’s a judgement call if it’s worth it to you or not. Since you do your casting as a pot batch, I don’t see you getting much “value” from better temperature control. For someone that casts for longer sessions and has to monitor and adjust temps, the “value” of the PID becomes apparent quickly.

kmw1954
03-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the Clarification of your opinion. Like so many things it comes down to the user and that one size doesn't always fit all.

I use my Lee pot because I was able to obtain it used for a good price. If I would have had to buy it new I most likely would have gone with a Lee Magnum Melter as my molds are all small two cavity ones and a ladle is what I started with.

Wheelguns 1961
03-01-2020, 08:41 PM
I started out with one of those lyman electronic thermometers then got one of the noe thermometers. I still have both and both still work. Then I got a pid from hatch and it was a game changer. Now I don’t have to baby sit the pot. I can add my metal, come back in 30min, and it is ready to go. The molds are ready on the hot plate. It is a much more efficient system for me.