PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned today

Bantou
02-29-2020, 01:07 AM
I spent most of the day today trying to get some second hand molds cleaned up. I posted earlier about maybe using a vibrating tumbler to get them clean but scrapped that idea pretty quickly based on y’alls’ advice. I tried four different methods of cleaning: B12 and a toothbrush, Hoppes and a tooth brush, ultrasonic cleaning with homemade solution, and Comet with a tooth brush. Here are the lessons I learned:

1) Comet and a toothbrush is by far the easiest and least time consuming method out of the four. The trick is to keep the Comet just wet enough to not cake up but not so wet that it dissipates quickly.

2) When cleaning a mold with Comet, do not wear anything you care about. You will be covered in it by the time you are through.

3) While B12 is great for many things, cleaning junk out of a boolit mold is not one of them.

4) Similar to B12, Hoppes is a great solvent for cleaning guns. It is not a good solvent for cleaning molds.

5) attempting to sonic clean molds with handles attached is a really bad idea. Not only will it completely remove the bluing from the handles, the vibration will make the molds loose on the handles resulting in poor lock-up. I now have two molds that have to be tapped on the bottom before pouring to get a good lock.

6) When testing your molds after cleaning, don’t be an idiot and forget to roll your sleeves back down. A small drop of molten lead causes a disproportional amount of discomfort.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200229/7ebb6f3b71df67112e9bd9ca647d9062.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgerkahn
02-29-2020, 08:29 AM
First, do not consider yourself an "idiot" for not having sleeves down! Instead, perhaps, a relatively (e.g., as compared to spatter of alloy in an eye from not having protective glasses/goggles on?) minor educational experience! Betcha' YOU're not going to forget to have arms covered in future, eh?
Secondly, I have had a few crudded moulds, and one "trick" I've learned is not to be in too much of a hurry. I put the moulds (with all screws, pins, plate, etc.) removed in an empty metal coffee can which I then added Essence (hi-test unleaded gasoline); leave it for a couple of three days; and then used a nylon brush to all its surfaces. Bion, I then repeated -- replacing with fresh/new Essence, and leaving again for a couple of days. After the second brushing, I change fluid in can to Isopropyl alcohol, but only soak this a few hours. For me? That's all it took... I then slowly heated assembled moulds to about 350*F on a G E hotplate for maybe 20 minutes -- and, started casting...
Good luck -- perhaps your moulds are cruddier than mine were -- but :) this worked for me.
geo

Bantou
02-29-2020, 08:34 AM
This was the best looking of the three I cleaned. The other two had a lot more carbon caked on.

Before:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200229/5ea5d409ed134454c4f10a6fe3fe7405.jpg

Bantou
02-29-2020, 08:40 AM
First, do not consider yourself an "idiot" for not having sleeves down! Instead, perhaps, a relatively (e.g., as compared to spatter of alloy in an eye from not having protective glasses/goggles on?) minor educational experience! Betcha' YOU're not going to forget to have arms covered in future, eh?

I Definitely won’t be forgetting my sleeves again. I don’t really consider myself an idiot. I was just acting like one in that particular moment lol.

cabezaverde
02-29-2020, 08:54 AM
That looks like mold release on there.

Bantou
02-29-2020, 08:56 AM
That looks like mold release on there.

It was carbon from being smoked. I kept getting frosty looking sections and large wrinkles at the same time while casting. After a little bit of research, I discovered that the carbon was clogging the vent lines.

lightman
03-03-2020, 08:38 PM
A lot of casters smoke their mold cavities or even use a release agent. But I absolutely don't want anything in mine.

Bantou
03-03-2020, 08:47 PM
A lot of casters smoke their mold cavities or even use a release agent. But I absolutely don't want anything in mine.

I won’t be smoking these since I got them clean. It wasn’t that difficult to clean them once I got the system down but why make a mess when they work fine without it?

Burnt Fingers
03-04-2020, 10:23 AM
That looks more like some kind of release spray. Smoke will normally wipe right off.