PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for 327 federal shooters

megasupermagnum
02-28-2020, 02:54 PM
MidwayUSA got new 327 federal brass in stock. I'm sorry to say I bought all 2000 cases of Federal premium brand that they had. If you get on the backorder, they will have more in just 2-3 weeks. More importantly they still have Hornady brand, and for only $20.70 per 100 cases! That is significantly less than Starline!

Now some of you know my trouble with Starline brass, it just plain is not very good. I had originally bought about 500 cases, then later got over 1000 more from another member here. All had problems with neck tension and case splitting. I contacted Starline, and they nicely replaced all my brass with another batch. Unfortunately this batch was just as bad. I found a system to stop case splitting, but the only solution I've found for the neck tension/annealing problems is to sort by how hard they expand. This still wasn't 100%, because I could still feel it when seating bullets.

Well I bought all new Federal brand cases, and they are so much better. I was able to expand them using the NOE expander dies, no sticking, and all consistent! Not only that, The cases are 1.195", compared to Starline 1.180". Not a huge deal, but it is nice to at least be within specs.

I've never used Hornady 327 brass, but it sure seems nice in other calibers.

onelight
02-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the brass.

megasupermagnum
03-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Another find. Brownells has both Federal and Hornady brass in stock. With the 5% discount, it is about the same price as Midway.

Burnt Fingers
03-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Another find. Brownells has both Federal and Hornady brass in stock. With the 5% discount, it is about the same price as Midway.

5% discount? Tell me more.

megasupermagnum
03-02-2020, 03:19 PM
5% discount? Tell me more.

I guess that's past. They have a different discount every few days. Today they have free shipping, code XAB.