PDA

View Full Version : 9mm vs 45 1911?

Silvercreek Farmer
02-28-2020, 12:53 PM
I've been considering a 1911 for a long time. I don't really like the way they feel in my hand, but they are so iconic, I figure I should own and shoot one at some point in my life just to make sure I'm not missing something. I am not much of a semi guy in general, but I do love a nice 1911 trigger (one of my biggest semi dislikes).

I've been considering a Rock Island Armory GI model, just to dip my toe in the water. I've looked at the sights, and they are minimal, but I seem to be able to see them well enough. Though, I am pushing 40, so that may not last. I hear the sights may have an off size dovetail, making replacements difficult to find. I do know how to use a file, if needed.

So the last consideration is to get one in 9mm or 45. I have reloading dies and molds for both, but would need some brass for the 45. This would be an exclusive cast bullet shooter for me. I handled both side by side at a gun show and noticed the 9mm was slightly heavier most likely due to the thicker barrel. No matter, all the better for recoil control. The difference in capacity would not be an issue, as it would be a range toy. 9mm would be easier on powder and lead, and shoot flatter for some of the long range plinking I enjoy. The 45 would probably make a nicer delayed clang on the steel. and tends to be a better cast bullet caliber, although I have seen no complaints about the 9mm and cast. An then there is the whole "1911s should be 45" thing, which does resonate a bit with me.

What do you say?

Wheelguns 1961
02-28-2020, 01:07 PM
My guess is that you end up with one of each eventually. That is what happened to me.

scattershot
02-28-2020, 01:10 PM
.45 ACP, as God and John Browning intended.

trails4u
02-28-2020, 01:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGTmfyDY2zw

I should probably apologize for this....but it's funny. :)

Silvercreek Farmer
02-28-2020, 01:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGTmfyDY2zw

I should probably apologize for this....but it's funny. :)

I don't know how he comes up with what he does, but I do find it humorous!

Der Gebirgsjager
02-28-2020, 02:09 PM

I thought this was funny! (But, basically I agree!) :grin:

Well, Mr. Farmer, it sounds to me like you've pretty much thought it out. These threads can go on and on with guys expressing their love or hate for the .45 and 9mm, so like they say at the carnival, "you pays your money and you takes your choice."

I own a RIA 1911 .45 (and about a dozen other 1911s) and think that them RIA is a great pistol for the money. I don't think you can really go wrong buying one, especially if you're o.k. with the sights. I've been shooting 1911s since about age 14, and most of them have similar sights. But, I can not personally confirm or deny that the dovetails are of a different size as I have not replaced mine.

I did make some modifications. (1) The hammer bit me on the web between the thumb and forefinger. This is an odd thing that I've found over the years, that some 1911s bite me and some don't. I have a WW II G.I. Ithaca that never has, and it remains unmolested. My usual cure is to install a Commander-type hammer and/or a beavertail, but on this one I installed a beavertail and modified the original hammer. (2) I installed a straight original-type 1911 mainspring housing, (3) and an original-type long trigger. I left everything else as it came. It shoots better than G.I. accuracy, but not really target grade.

Like you've indicated, 1911s aren't love at first sight for everyone, but you'll miss one of life's better experiences if you don't own one. And, you have to take into consideration that after 109 years they're still a hot seller, so there must be something there! :grin:

Der Gebirgsjager
02-28-2020, 02:29 PM
click to enlarge

Oh, yes-- I changed out the grips for laminated rosewood and the grip screws for hex head stainless, and installed a shok-buff. But no other modifications. The barrel, recoil spring, etc. remain stock.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-28-2020, 02:47 PM
I've been considering a 1911 for a long time. I don't really like the way they feel in my hand, but they are so iconic, I figure I should own and shoot one at some point in my life just to make sure I'm not missing something. I am not much of a semi guy in general, but I do love a nice 1911 trigger (one of my biggest semi dislikes).

I've been considering a Rock Island Armory GI model, just to dip my toe in the water.

...SNIP
Silvercreek,
I am just like you. a couple years ago, I bought a plain blued RIA in 38 super. It's a wonderful shooting 1911 for the price. The first castboolit load I tried, shot POI...which was great, as I had no plans to mod the sights. The sights are adequate for what I'll use this gun for...which is same as what you mention, "...as it would be a range toy."

I chose the 38 super, because I always wanted one. But to be honest, now that I have it, I would have preferred to save the money on buying starline brass and another set of dies....and just got the 9mm, and use the dies I had and the brass is so plentiful and cheap,,,sometimes free.

tazman
02-28-2020, 03:00 PM
Another thing to consider is recoil. I have no idea what your tolerance level is for handgun recoil. For me, with my blossoming arthritis, I have to watch what I shoot.
Full power loads in a 45 ACP get unpleasant after a while. Light loads are fine.
9mm, particularly in the 1911, is quite pleasant to shoot for extended periods.
I own two 1911 pistols in 9mm, one of which is an RIA Ultra FS. I also own a 1911 in 45 ACP.
I have reached the place where the minimalist sights on some of the military versions are inadequate for me. I just can't see them well at all. I much prefer the newer style combat sights.
My RIA in 9mm handles cast well and jacketed very well. I haven't got the cast shooting as well as the jacketed yet but it will come.

dverna
02-28-2020, 03:03 PM
I shoot both. I find the .45 is more forgiving with cast bullets and it can use a softer alloy. The 9MM offers the advantages of free or cheap brass. Most of my shooting is on my range so the brass issues is less of a concern. 9mm bullets are cheaper as well even after factoring in a harder alloy.

One thing to consider is primer changeover. All my pistols (expect the .45) use a SP primer so I do not need to fuss with the primer system. I have been planning to switch over the SP .45 brass but have a lot of LP stuff. Not as much of an issue if you prime off the press but I run progressives.

A buddy of mine got the RIA and he was pleased with it. Seems like a decent gun for the price.

Dan Cash
02-28-2020, 03:11 PM
I would recommend the RIA in .45 ACP. It is easier to load and to develop a load (my opinion) and if you ever do use it for social purposes, it is much more effective. If recoil is an issue, you don't have to load your ammo full throttle. A 225 grain bullet at 600 fps is very accurate, pleasant to shoot and potent on the receiving end.

Texas by God
02-28-2020, 03:20 PM
4T5ACP. I saw that on a vanity liscence plate on a car in Dallas as a young man. And I agreed. When I think "auto pistol"- the 1911 is the image. If the hammer bites me, I grind 1/8" from the spur. I like arched housings and straight housings. I've never considered the 1911 .45 a hard kicker because it fits my hand so well. And it loves cast. Get one. If you dont like it, you wont lose money on it when you sell it.
And here's a pic just for grins!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200228/773163bc5ba2bda43b63b27e9f5d7bfd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mk42gunner
02-28-2020, 06:23 PM
I've had 1911's in 9mm, 10mm, and .45ACP.

The 45 will do all that I need a 1911 to do, and will last just short of forever while doing it.

The 10 if loaded to its full potential is a bit much for constant usage in a 1911, in my opinion.

The 9 is a sweetheart in a steel 5" gun, recoil is not much more than Stingers in a Colt Woodsman or High Standard Model B.

The neat thing about a 1911 is you can modify things to get it to really fit your hand. Got stubby fingers? a Short A1 style trigger works. Got longish fingers? Original triggers are easily installed. Get hammer bite? A flat mainspring housing fixes most of those, a beavertail grip safety and Commander hammer fixes the rest.

1911's are fun and can be modified (if needed) to do just about anything a handgun needs to do.

Robert

toallmy
02-28-2020, 06:40 PM
I'm one of the fellows that when someone shows me their 9mm says that's cute my wife shoots one .
But just between us members when I take out her 9s I have a blast , I have been very tempted to pick up a rock island 9mm several times . I think you will enjoy what ever you decide .

roverboy
02-28-2020, 06:52 PM
4T5ACP. I saw that on a vanity liscence plate on a car in Dallas as a young man. And I agreed. When I think "auto pistol"- the 1911 is the image. If the hammer bites me, I grind 1/8" from the spur. I like arched housings and straight housings. I've never considered the 1911 .45 a hard kicker because it fits my hand so well. And it loves cast. Get one. If you dont like it, you wont lose money on it when you sell it.
And here's a pic just for grins!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200228/773163bc5ba2bda43b63b27e9f5d7bfd.jpg

Please tell me where I get that shirt.

Gtek
02-28-2020, 07:19 PM
You will look long and hard for a trigger to feel like a crisp and proper 1911. Many a steel Euro to any of the Tupperware pieces to me is like opening the silverware drawer with one finger, I have enough to say this. If serious about a new piece the thoughts must cover your requirements, capacity, power, range, carry, etc., it is a tool so buy the right tool. Second I would spend as time possible fondling them for is it the right grip angle for me, arched, flat, bob. I have 1911 hands made for an arched housing with aggressive panels, no wrap around stuff. Everybody is different, see it, pick it up loose, pick a point, close your eyes, take both hands and secure, present, open eyes. Looks good, feels good, get ya some, if the magic happens, you will know!

DougGuy
02-28-2020, 08:01 PM
If it's the "iconic" itch you are aiming to scratch, I say go with the original 45ACP caliber that John Moses Browning intended it to be chambered in. There is something about the lag times in the travel of a 5" Government Model slide, it has a lazy cadence to it compared to other higher pressure calibers.

I once owned a 1943 Colt 1911A1, slide numbered to the frame, parkerized WWII issue, oh it rattled, it had pits in the barrel you could grow potatoes in, but it had the mojo. It went to war. It lived up to the legend 100%. Like an idiot I traded it away for a nice old Ruger M77 deer rifle which put more meals on my table than that old Colt ever did, and I regretted letting it get away ever since.

Fast forward to now, I "replaced" the old Colt with a newly made Auto Ordnance 1911A1 lower, and a WWII era Remington Rand upper with all WWII milsurp innards. It's tight, it shoots into 2" at 25 yards and it scratched the itch for that old Colt. I would suppose the RIA would do the trick for you as well.

https://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911A1/20150609_135931crop640_zps8jlaettg.jpg (https://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911A1/20150609_135931crop640_zps8jlaettg.jpg.html)

Rick Hodges
02-28-2020, 09:30 PM
If you only get one 1911 make it a .45.

bigted
02-28-2020, 11:39 PM
Have and have had a car load of 45's in 1911. When I got my Kimber in 9mm ... thought I had found shangrala. Easy recoil, fast speed, flat trajectory and cheap to load.

Added benny ... when ya lose brass ... no prob. Pick em up on any range ... free.

Gunslinger1911
02-29-2020, 12:48 AM
just sayin

Bigslug
02-29-2020, 01:01 AM
If you haven't seen complaints about 9mm and cast, then you haven't looked around here much. It does require considerably more skilled reloader mojo to get it to behave. It is a sweet round in a 1911 package, but then, one can argue that a 1911 that's not .45 is not a 1911.

If you don't like the feel of the gun, remember that there was a 1911 (flat mainspring housing / long trigger) and a 1911-A1 (arched mainspring housing / short trigger), and there's plenty of both on the market today. Playing around with the different combinations of those parts can make all the difference in the world.

alamogunr
02-29-2020, 01:16 AM
I've got 4 1911's. Well, really 3 plus a Para Ordinance LDA. The LDA isn't really a 1911, it just sort of looks like one. All are .45ACP. I've got a Dan Wesson 1911 on order in .45 also. I'm 77 years old and the recoil of these pistols doesn't bother me. I just wish I could see better and my hands didn't shake.

I considered a 1911 in .38 Super but decided against it because I didn't know anything about it, didn't have dies or molds appropriate for it and wasn't sure about possible over penetration if the unthinkable happened.

I will admit I am in load development mode to see if a reduced load will function in all my .45's. I don't see the sense in punishing myself if I develop arthritis, which I don't have now.

And, as others have pointed out, a 1911 almost requires .45 ACP. Other cartridges are available and you don't have to follow the crowd. If you don't get a .45, it will still be a 1911.

Walks
02-29-2020, 01:28 AM
The YouTube video is just plain stupid.
It also shows unsafe shooting conditions.

At a time when the Right to keep and Bear Arms is under constant attack, We really Can't afford stupid video's that show crud like this.
Think about non-gun owners watching this. It just puts shooters in a bad light. Painting Us as just plain stupid.

And Yes I have four 1911's, 2 Colts, a Springfield Armory and a Norinco.
In the only Caliber that matters.

.45ACP

I have owned both 9mm & .38Super,
have owned being the operative word.

Texas by God
02-29-2020, 01:31 AM
Roverboy, that tee shirt was a gift from my BIL in Forest Falls California. He’s Texan and a long haired Conservative- of which there are several in the hills apparently. He’s moved to Arizona to freedom so I don’t know where he got it. I’ll get back to you on that.
I still vote .45:-)

stubshaft
02-29-2020, 04:09 AM
I've had a couple of nines but still own five .45's...

Stephen Cohen
02-29-2020, 05:32 AM

I am an Australian and even I found that funny, in fact it may be my new T shirt. To answer the original question, I also had both a 9mm and a 45 and much preferred the 45 as it was cast friendly and just plain shot better, I later got a 10mm auto and just loved it as well. The 45 will always rule in my view. Regards Stephen

dverna
02-29-2020, 06:53 AM
I've got 4 1911's. Well, really 3 plus a Para Ordinance LDA. The LDA isn't really a 1911, it just sort of looks like one. All are .45ACP. I've got a Dan Wesson 1911 on order in .45 also. I'm 77 years old and the recoil of these pistols doesn't bother me. I just wish I could see better and my hands didn't shake.

I considered a 1911 in .38 Super but decided against it because I didn't know anything about it, didn't have dies or molds appropriate for it and wasn't sure about possible over penetration if the unthinkable happened.

I will admit I am in load development mode to see if a reduced load will function in all my .45's. I don't see the sense in punishing myself if I develop arthritis, which I don't have now.

And, as others have pointed out, a 1911 almost requires .45 ACP. Other cartridges are available and you don't have to follow the crowd. If you don't get a .45, it will still be a 1911.

Get some lower rate recoil springs and you will be good. I believe my buddy had a Long Slide and used 3.5 gr of Bullseye with the 200 gr H&G bullet. Just remember to change them if you decide to use regular loads.

Lloyd Smale
02-29-2020, 06:59 AM
I got out of the caliber bashing self defense crap. What avid handgunner wouldn't have a couple of each and a a couple 40sws too and heck a 10mm or two.

Hickory
02-29-2020, 07:32 AM

The 1911 style hand gun takes a mental adjustment when switching from a revolver. Everything is different including the feel, but it is a good fighting handgun if you need one at close range defence.

missionary5155
02-29-2020, 08:44 AM
Good morning
When I was at Fort Hood 3/66 Armor in 1972 our platoon Sarge was a Korea tank crewman towards the last months of that war.

One day out in the bushes during a "platoon meeting" (hide in the bushes doing nothing) Sarge (E7) was telling us about the few adventures he had over there. One tanker asked when we would be receiving 9mm personal weapons and stop carry the caliber 45 Colts that were well worn.
Sarge responded with a tale about the two calibers. Seems one of the company crewmen was searching through a village when some Chicom popped into the open and fired at him with a pistol. The crewman who had his caliber 45 1911A1 in hand raised his and fired one shot. Chicom went down and died soon after.
Another crewman showed up asking what just happened. Through that quick explanation the crewman opened his jacket to check for wounds and discovered he had been hit twice through the stomach area.
The Chicom had taken the single hit through the breastbone and exited through the spine. The late comer gathered the Chicoms documents and pistol noting it was a 9mm.

So is the 45ACP any better.. Larger holes and heavier slugs are always better. They leak out more and have the tendency to do the needed job better. So hey whatever you have in your hand is far better than throwing rocks. But me I have trusted the 45ACP for near 50 years.
And after seeing the 9mm FMJ 125 grain make nice little holes in numerous objects and the caliber 45 FMJ make larger holes in the same material much more violently I have decided to stick with the bigger stick and enjoy the recoil of an old friend.
Mike in LLama Land

GhostHawk
02-29-2020, 09:11 AM
For me I own one of each, each has its points. A lot of 9's come with big double stack mags which I see as a plus. But .45acp is a lot bigger, will have more penitration, especially through hard objects. So it kind of ends up being a wash.

Not much crime up here in Fargo, so if I do carry, its something small and lightweight. Like a .32.

Whatever your choice is, I wish you the best of it. Choice is good. Smells to me like the time may not be far off when they try to take our guns.
Then we will have a real choice to make. Will we be sheep? Or will we rise up and down those who are trying to make us slaves?

Inside the house where I could have loved ones who could be harmed by overpenitration I prefer the shotgun.
But I also have a .45acp carbine with Red Dot and a 20 round mag close at hand and out of sight.

Choice is good. Make good ones for you.

alamogunr
02-29-2020, 10:39 AM
Get some lower rate recoil springs and you will be good. I believe my buddy had a Long Slide and used 3.5 gr of Bullseye with the 200 gr H&G bullet. Just remember to change them if you decide to use regular loads.

I didn't think about that. Thanks!

Only problem I can think of is that the Dan Wesson has some kind of special spring. The website says this:
"With a similar recoil system to the ECO, it has a flat wire recoil spring that is rated for 15,000 rounds". Probably won't live long enough to put 15K rounds thru it but one of the heirs might. I can live with full power loads or slightly reduced.
Went to the Wolff website and it has no springs mentioned for Dan Wesson. Looked for Para Ordinance springs and was referred to Colt corresponding models. So they are no problem.

Rich/WIS
02-29-2020, 11:04 AM
Have owned seven 1911 45's over the years, still have number seven, a Springfield Armory Range Officer. Accuracy varied from okay to excellent, and reliability was 100% with ball ammo, and with some load work the same with cast SWC. Recoil is not an issue if you shoot target level loads with SWC in the 200+/- grain weight range. Not sure if $$ is an issue but lower end pistols are not a bargain if you start changing out parts. Buy the best you can afford, and I would put adjustable sights in that category, as the GI sights may work for you now they most likely will become an issue as you age. You can also tune a 1911 for light loads by replacing the standard 16# recoil spring with lighter springs to allow function with reduced loads, right now mine has a 10# spring and it functions reliably with a 190 gr SWC and 3.1 grs of BE. Recoil with that load is easy on my arthritic wrist. One expense to consider regardless of what brand you decide on is the cost of a trigger job. The RO came with an excellent trigger, but unless you get lucky you may want a trigger job. Not a parts swap but a genuine rework by a skilled smith who knows his job. A 1911 with a crisp 4-4.5# pull is one of the true pleasures in life.

smkummer
02-29-2020, 11:09 AM
You will like any choice you make. 9mm in a full size 1911 makes it a sweet recoil round. A buddy used to shoot standard 38 acp out of his 38 super government model which is about like like 9mm. Even 38/super is sweet shooting ( race guns). 45 can and is often downloaded with 200 grain wadcutters. And remember most 1911s will accept a 22 conversion kit. There was even a 38 super kit for a Colt government 45. But let me throw in another low cost alternative and that’s the downsized surplus star BM 9mm on the market for a little over $200 these days. Very size appropriate for 9mm and sweet shooting as it’s steel. I love mine.

JimB..
02-29-2020, 11:19 AM
I have rather a lot of 1911’s, some in 45, some in 9 and some in 38super, also have them in full and commander slide lengths. In my experience folks are more likely to have reliability issues with a stock 9mm 1911 than with a 45. The frequency of reported issues seems to go down when folks move to semi-custom, but that could be lots of things. I have had a full sized wilson combat in 9mm for maybe 10 years, only fire it 300 or so rounds in a session and have never had real issues with it other than breaking the firing pin stop.

Because I want folks to have a good experience I always suggest that a first 1911 be in 45 unless they prefer to spend a bunch more money. The Springfield Range Office is what I typically suggest, but you need to handle and shoot a few if you can.

bob208
02-29-2020, 11:33 AM
get it in the cal. it was designed for .45 acp. you want a 9mm get that other browning pistol the high-power it was made for the 9mm.

Mk42gunner
02-29-2020, 07:09 PM
alamogur reminded me of the Para Ordnance LDA that I had for a short while. The one I had was the short little Officer's ACP size (six round magazines) that fit easily into my hip pocket.

It was a fun little gun to shoot, but I did not like the rounded sights at all. Also I could not get used to the pivoting trigger; a 1911, to me, needs to have a straight back trigger pull.

Robert

alamogunr
02-29-2020, 08:32 PM
I don't shoot my LDA- TacFour(commander size like P-13) much at all. I notice that a lot here get rid of guns that they don't shoot much. I hardly ever get rid of anything, much to my spouse's dismay. As for my guns, I'll let my sons take care of them.

I've been reading about Dan Wesson problems on another forum. Granted, posts about problems far outnumber post about good results, but I'm sure going to give the Dan Wesson ECP a workout when I get it.

walnut1704
02-29-2020, 10:07 PM
I have one of each. A 9mm Springfield Stainless Loaded Target and a .45 Kimber Gold Match II. The 9mm is tough to find accurate loads with lead bullets. You can expect to work on that for a long time. Whereas the .45 shoots really well with a variety of loads.

I'd go .45.

Texas by God
03-01-2020, 11:15 AM
The Trump 45 tee shirt was purchased at a booth at the Quartzite Rock & Gem Show in Arizona.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-01-2020, 05:08 PM
I have one of each. A 9mm Springfield Stainless Loaded Target and a .45 Kimber Gold Match II. The 9mm is tough to find accurate loads with lead bullets. You can expect to work on that for a long time. Whereas the .45 shoots really well with a variety of loads.

I'd go .45.

Now that was helpful!

Petander
03-01-2020, 07:36 PM
Shooting a good 1911 45 in ACP is just so much fun it makes you smile while looking at those big holes in the target.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-02-2020, 08:10 AM
Figured my eyes aren't going to get any better, so I went with the upgraded sights...

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/rock-series/rock-standard-fs-45acp/

dverna
03-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Figured my eyes aren't going to get any better, so I went with the upgraded sights...

Good choice SF. You will have fun with it.

tazman
03-02-2020, 11:06 AM

That pistol is nearly identical to what my Springfield Mil-Spec ended up after a few mods.

For what it's worth, I have a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm, that shoots anything I run through it quite accurately. It handles cast as accurately as jacketed and never seems to lead the barrel. I have never had issues with this pistol.

Chad5005
03-02-2020, 11:17 AM
almost identical to my springfeild 1911-a1 45 and it to will run anything you put in it,round nose,hollow point cast or jacketed

TheGrimReaper
03-02-2020, 02:02 PM
My guess is that you end up with one of each eventually. That is what happened to me.

Yeah it happens

walnut1704
03-02-2020, 06:10 PM

Good idea. That why I got the Target/Match versions of the ones I bought. They have adjustable sights with a giant rear sight blade. I hope you enjoy it.

arlon
03-02-2020, 06:23 PM
I have a few of them. As issued Colt Model 1911 Military from 1918, ATI commander length in 45 ACP, Colt National Match in .38spcl and an STI Trojan in 9mm. As I get older I am liking the 9mm more. I guess it depends on what you want it for. The 9mm is more pain to reload right than the 45 but bulk ammo for the 9mm can be half that of the 45. If you happen to own a nice carbine of some sort in 9mm, then no brainer. I'd have one kind of ammo and be done. I like the 45s but my wrist cant take a day 45 in a commander like it can a day of 9mm in a full frame.

For pure shooting enjoyment I prefer the STI 9mm (also just a nicer gun). For nostalgia, I like to get the 1918 vintage Colt to the range. For pure paper punching it's hard to top that 38 wadcutter but the 5 round mags can test your patience.. (-:}

At the end of the day my worst 1911 is pretty good. Sounds like you made a good choice. Perfect if you are an avid caster/reloader.

rfd
03-04-2020, 09:16 PM
i've had three 1911's - rem r1, ruger sr, and SA mil.spec - all full size and in .45acp. the only downside is finding range brass, where .45acp is not easily found in a literal ocean of 9mm brass. my next 1911 style will be 9mm.

RoyEllis
03-05-2020, 02:09 PM
JMHO, but going thru life without owning at least one 45acp 1911 is somewhat akin to being born without testicles....you might survive, but why?

catboat
03-05-2020, 09:11 PM
I vote 45 acp. The 1911 was designed for it / around it.

I picked up a Springfield 1911 MILSPEC (not the GI version which has the tiny front site and small rear sight). The MILSPEC version has much better fixed sights ( front is higher, wider, and rectangular in cross section. The rear sight is higher, wider square notch.) for a great, visible sight picture for my 59 year old eyes.

Here is my range report on the pistol, as posted on another website years ago, with picture of the pistol and target.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=356188

My MILSPEC plunks 5 shots into a ragged hole at 50 feet with hard cast 200 grain flat base SWC bullets, over 4-5 grains of Bullseye powder. I am very happy with it.

I did a home trigger job on it. I replaced the factory short trigger with a long trigger. I stoned the hammer notch down to .018" with a jig to get a crisp 4 # trigger.

In my view, the 45 acp belongs with the 1911.

GregLaROCHE
03-06-2020, 12:24 AM
I suggest that you shoot a .45, if you haven before and then decide.

RKJ
03-06-2020, 09:18 AM
I'm glad to see you got the .45. To me the 9mm belongs in a BHP and a 1911 should be .45. I'd go 10mm and (maybe .38 super, just because I have a little bit of brass) but when I see a 9mm 1911, I cringe a little. But it's not my money either. :)

hp246
03-06-2020, 04:43 PM

What Scattershot said.

GregLaROCHE
03-10-2020, 08:09 PM
I'm glad to see you got the .45. To me the 9mm belongs in a BHP and a 1911 should be .45. I'd go 10mm and (maybe .38 super, just because I have a little bit of brass) but when I see a 9mm 1911, I cringe a little. But it's not my money either. :)

I agree. Why chamber 9mm in a gun like that. More suited for Glock. Etc

Plate plinker
03-10-2020, 09:00 PM
Wilson Combat has a video about this very topic. Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn have some interesting thoughts on the subject.

I like the 9mm in the big gun for fun, but the 45 can send heavier loads down range.
Get both someday you will be happy when you do.

1hole
03-10-2020, 10:09 PM
My 1911 came from 'Nam by a good friend who is dead now. He and a GI armorior friend built it one night from parts bins, each part was selected to fit "right"; I love it. I haven't fired it at 100 yards many times but, when I did, 5-6 inch groups were the norm but were about 20 in. low from my standard 200 gr. SWC cast stuff. Knowing all that gives me a lot of confidence if some goblin wants to play and I can't imagine not having it at my bed side every night. It's too big/heavy for concealed carry (I have a lightweight .38 S. Charter Arms snubby for that) but it rides nicely on the floor of my truck.

It points well. The G.I. sights and my old eyes aren't much for target accuracy but it's a working piece, not a range toy. And in a common night fight no sights are very good anyway. (I'm no fan of lazers for combat, those things work both ways and I'm always on target with them!)

Get the RIA, I think you'll love it too.

Norske
03-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Some of us old guys have to consider changing from a 45 to a 9mm because of arthritis in our hands. Racking that slide with the stronger spring gets more difficult every year.

rfd
03-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Some of us old guys have to consider changing from a 45 to a 9mm because of arthritis in our hands. Racking that slide with the stronger spring gets more difficult every year.

exactly. ditto's for eye issues and the need for optics. note to the young 'uns - don't get old.

str8wal
03-13-2020, 10:36 AM
An then there is the whole "1911s should be 45" thing, which does resonate a bit with me.

Me as well. If you don't handload, the 9mm may be better for you, but if you do roll your own or ammo cost isn't a factor, go with the classic!

alamogunr
03-13-2020, 11:30 AM
exactly. ditto's for eye issues and the need for optics. note to the young 'uns - don't get old.

There is only ONE way to avoid that!

Silvercreek Farmer
03-14-2020, 03:35 AM
Picked it up today and ran some Lee 230 through it. Seems to feed very well, it'll even feed an empty case with no problems. Looks like the extractor is going to need some tuning as I had some failures to return to battery, even through the rounds plunked freely. Also had the slide lock back mid magazine a couple of times so the slide lock might need a look as well. I'll tear it all the way down and check for burrs and clean/lube well before anything else. Machining and Park look great. The slide/frame fit is smooth. I was able to shoot 4" offhand groups at 25 yards without trying too terribly hard. Overall I'm pretty pleased. Once I get the few issures sorted, I'm sure it'll ba a good shooter.