PDA

View Full Version : Percussion lock repair

BPSharps
02-28-2020, 12:16 AM
I have been looking for an original Bob Tingle blackpowder rifle for quite some time.Seen one listed ( Made in 1962)but it says "The hammer does not stay cocked, but travels through it’s full range of motion." Could be the tumbler, sear, sear spring, Adjustment screw on the tumbler ( Don't know if Tingle's had them) , a need of wood removal in the lock area or even just crud build up. Anybody still do lock repairs or have any advice that you can share with me?

LAGS
02-28-2020, 12:41 AM
If you had the rifle and lock in hand , I am sure someone on this forum could walk you thru how to trouble shoot what the problem is.
That is what is nice about the Net.
With pictures , I think people can easily help

mooman76
02-28-2020, 10:18 AM
It could be any of the items you mentioned. Often it is just a screw adjustment. Could also just need a good cleaning but you won't know until you see it.

TCLouis
02-28-2020, 09:27 PM
Sounds like the perfect place to start price negotiations.

Especially, since you nor they seem to know how bad the lock problem is.

indian joe
02-29-2020, 12:03 AM
Sounds like the perfect place to start price negotiations.

Especially, since you nor they seem to know how bad the lock problem is.

my thoughts exactly - I have rescued a couple percussion guns by replacing with CVA lock parts fitted onto a new lock plate that fits the inlet shape - there plenty of options for fixups / repair. A good chance you get it working with minor repairs or even a good cleanup. Depends how much you want it and how much the other feller kows.

BPSharps
02-29-2020, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated

BPSharps
02-29-2020, 01:32 AM
257670 The fellow sent me a picture of the inside of the lock that I requested. Says he thinks it isn't the lock (looks good to me ) but he thinks it might be from the double set trigger

LAGS
02-29-2020, 02:02 AM
If it is the trigger that is the problem , then the lock should work fine when out of the stock.
And Yes.
If the trigger is set in too deep , the sear lever will not be able to come down far enough to let the sear engage properly.
I recently had that problem on a Traditions Hawken rifle kit I was putting together.
A little filing on the top of the trigger lever cured the problem.

indian joe
02-29-2020, 08:17 AM
257670 The fellow sent me a picture of the inside of the lock that I requested. Says he thinks it isn't the lock (looks good to me ) but he thinks it might be from the double set trigger

half cock notch looks stuffed (wont hold safe) in that picture ?

if double set triggers you must have a fly in the tumbler to stop the sear from engaging the half cock as the lock fires - usually underneath between tumbler and lock plate

also could be a broken sear spring

or yes interference in the trigger setup - lots of little things can get out of kilter with these setups .