PDA

View Full Version : Colt clone?

LIMPINGJ
11-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I want to get a Colt Modle P for shooting but the ones that I seem to like seem to be in the collector catagory and worth to much to carry and shoot very much. It seems a clone is my best choice for a shooter. With both the blackpowder frame and the transverse basepin latch being made I am thinking about getting the blackpowder style frame but wonder if the screw that locks the basepin will loosen after a few years of being removed and reinstalled for normal cleaning chores? Has anyone had one of this style frame and how did you like or dislike it compared to the later style basepin latch?

oldhickory
11-17-2008, 04:36 PM
I've had several antique Colt SAAs and the screw never worked loose on any of them. The main head-ache with them is the fact you need to remove the screw for cleaning, (or at least back it out nearly all the way) opening the possibility of either buggering the screw up each time, and or loosing it. They're a pain to deal with and the traverse pin is a much better design in my opinion.

FN in MT
11-17-2008, 06:07 PM
When a buddy and I both bought a couple of USFA's a few years ago he opted for the BP frame. He had them fit a spare screw when they built the gun. He's careful when taking it out. Uses a fitted screwdriver,etc. So theres one idea.

Both of my USFA's are the later push pin style. Unless one wants a clone of the older BP guns I'd go for the push pin....it IS easier.

Also wanted to add that the USFA's are first rate.

FN in MT

missionary5155
11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
How about getting a hex head to take the place of the "Screw" and save that real screw for the day you pass on the BP frame.

oldhickory
11-17-2008, 07:14 PM
How about getting a hex head to take the place of the "Screw" and save that real screw for the day you pass on the BP frame.

Better yet, why not have a knurled thumb screw fitted for everyday shooting if you want the BP frame. I've seen some original Colts fitted with them.

August
11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Eventually, the screw WILL get lost.

Eventually, the screw WILL get dinged up.

Eventually, the screw WILL chew up the base pin.

Eventually, you will want to take your cylinder out and not have a screwdriver.

Screw the screw!

KCSO
11-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I've had my 44-40 Cimarron going on 10 years now and have shot it a bunch. The screw is still in good shape and works as it should. It all depends on how much of a klutz you are. If you can remember a screwdriver in your kit (I ground one blsde of my stockman's knife to fit) and if You don't drop the screw in the grass there isn't any difference in base pin wear between the pin and the screw. Now I have a couple of spare screws on hand because sooer or later I will lose one. But in the last 10 years i haven't yet and I HAVE had the base pins come out on two different revolvers and I replaced another pin today for a friend. The screw you tend to check and the pin you don't until it isnt there any more. If you buy a Cimarron it comes with both a knurled and a standard screw.