PDA

View Full Version : The LEE Double Cavity 454 Round Ball Mold

trapper44shooter
02-26-2020, 12:35 AM
being disable & living on a small fixed income I do hope that with the correct care my LEE mold will last for a while I just started getting the tools I need to get started casting my own round balls I am so excited I can't wait until I get my LEE 4 20 Pro & some lead & then I will be off to the casting bench the lead is the highest priced item I will have to buy it may take me a while but I will have it I have been using LEE reloading tools all of my life & I am sure that they make a good of a bullet mold as the rest other tools wish me luck fellas :oops:

Bookworm
02-26-2020, 08:40 AM
Good luck Amigo !

I certainly hope everything falls your way !

Rich/WIS
02-26-2020, 09:29 AM
Never had the .454 mold but do use the .490 and unless you abuse it it will outlast you. Sent you a PM on lead.

trapper44shooter
02-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Oh I will take the best care of my mold possible I just have to get my LEE 4 20 Pro I hope I can order this up coming month & then I will be able to start I am so excited WHOO

Mk42gunner
02-26-2020, 06:00 PM
My latest mold purchase was a Lee .380 RB mold to feed my three Navies. Two of them work with the easily available .375" ball, one needs a .380" to fit right. Guess what size they will all be fed with?

I was pleasantly surprised at just how easy it was to get good, well filled out round balls with pure(ish) lead. Much easier than casting grease groove boolits.

Good luck with your endeavors and welcome to the board,

Robert

Daveco
02-27-2020, 12:38 PM
I have a copy of the 2 cavity Lee .454 round ball mold that I use in a Pietta 1858 Remington. Like all of the other Lee molds that I own it works like a champ. While getting yours ready to use, just follow the prep instructions that come in the box with it and you should be in good shape. Take good care of it, and as was already said in the earlier comments, it will give you many years of good service.
Good luck!

onelight
02-27-2020, 06:04 PM
The great thing about cap and or muzzle loaders is 50 balls is plenty for a range trip.:grin:

Walks
02-27-2020, 06:44 PM
I have a Lee 2cav .451 RB mold. Only Aluminum RB mold I've ever used.
Drops as good a RB as any iron/steel mold I've ever used.

Good Luck to you, and Remember to always take extra caps to the Range.

onelight
02-27-2020, 06:55 PM
Something else for range trips is moose milk and cleaning patches if you use BP you may need to do a little cleaning every few cylinders to keep her running smooth. All part of the fun.

44magLeo
02-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Do you go to second hand or thrift stores and such, like the Salvation Army or Goodwill stores? If so you can find a 2 Quart saucepan. No aluminum pans. Get a steel or stainless steel. Might even find a hot plate. This would get you started till you can get the Lee pot.
Even after you get the Lee pot the things you have now will be handy.
Leo

trapper44shooter
02-29-2020, 12:19 PM
I will be shooting the Triple 7 3F in my cap & revolver & I am so excited to finally get into casting my own thank ya fellas