PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Style Pistol load help.

LAGS
02-25-2020, 11:53 AM
Last week I picked up a .45 Kentucky Style pistol.
The only markings on it are Spain stamped on the bottom flat of the barrel and number 939 stamped on the bottom of the barrel.

Question is, What is a good loading range for this style of pistol ?

The pistol looks like it was probably built from a kit , but it is great shape.
I plan to refinish the stock and barrel because the stock is finished in Hi Gloss Poly and looks like Plastic.
And the barrel looked like old Cold Bluing that is kind of thin.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-25-2020, 12:00 PM
Most of these made in Spain that I've encountered were "Juker" brand. You might leaf through Dixie Gunworks catalog and see what loads they recommend for similar pistols and kits that they sell.

KCSO
02-25-2020, 12:02 PM
Any where from 15 grains of FFFg to up to 45 grains for a heavy hunting load. Depending on the twist of the barrel. If it is 1-48 twist as a left over rifle barrel you need more powder to get the best accuracy. I currently use 20 grains in my single shot with a 1-20 twist.

LAGS
02-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Thank you.
I am trying to disassemble the Lock right now so I can Rust Blue or brown the parts.
But the Hammer is stuck really hard on the Tumbler.
The hammer screw came out ok , but someone may have assembled it with Red Lock Tite.
Also the Seat Return spring Screw won't break loose..
I don't want to apply heat with my torch or I will detemper the sear return spring.
I may try heating the screw and Tumbler with a soldering gun to isolate the heat on certain parts.

KCSO
02-25-2020, 12:59 PM
Disassemble the lock and take out the hammer screw. Lay the lock plate on a couple of supports or and open vise and tap through the hole in the tumbler to drive the tumbler out of the hammer. Use a punch small enough so you don't mar the threads.

LAGS
02-25-2020, 01:09 PM
I need to make a small jig to support the lock plate to pound out the Tumbler as you mentioned.
With the Return spring and screw in the way , I can't support the lock plate on an open vise.
I already have a punch ready to fit thru the screw hole in the Tumbler.
I also made up a Square punch to be able to drive out the Tumbler from the hammer if it looks like the other punch will mark up the hammer screw hole threads.
Now to make my support jig.
That way I can take off the hammer using my Press instead of a hammer.
It gives you just a little more control , and less chance of dinging things up.
Got to use this press for more than pressing BP.

LAGS
02-25-2020, 05:51 PM
Just an update.
Someone had installed the Sear return spring screw with Red Lock Tite.
I was able to break the bond by heating up just the screw with the soldering gun.
It didn't heat up the spring , so I didn't loose any temper on the spring.
The hammer was able to be pressed out easily once the sear spring screw was removed.
I love it when things fall in line.

mooman76
02-25-2020, 06:53 PM
Sounds like someone made a wall hanger out of it.

LAGS
02-25-2020, 09:29 PM
No , just someone's first kit I take it.
It was well put together , but not finished to mine or my wife's liking.
I did have to make a new front sight for it.
They had over filed the dovetail on the barrel and then soldered the sight to make it stay in.
The dovetail was too big for the standard Metric dovetail sights , and I wasn't going to order a 3/8" base blade and have to wait a week to get it.
So , I just made a new base to fit the dovetail and soldered on a Brass blade that I made that is keyed to the base.
Now the front sight is adjustable again.
And if the elevation isn't right when I go and shoot it , I will just re make the front blade of a different height..
Like I always say, " Why Buy , when you can Build "

LAGS
02-27-2020, 07:31 PM
I got the pistol finished today.
I Browned all the metal and used light Walnut stain on the stock with a Linseed Oil Finish.
My wife asked me why I bought a Used pistol , only to rebuild it right away.
She said , Next time , just go out a buy a New Kit and build it your way from the start.
So, I showed her the Kits in the Dixie Gun Catalog.
She about fell over.
She said I can see why you bought a Used , Re Workable pistol.
You paid less than 1/4 the price for the Used pistol than for a similar kit.
But she said , when you buy your next used gun , make sure you take before and after pictures .
She thought the pistol looked fine before I started working on it.
But Now , she totally loves it.
I will see if she can post you guys a picture , even though I don't think it is anything special.