PDA

View Full Version : LEE APP VS Star-Noe sizers

tinsnips
02-24-2020, 08:34 PM
I have a Star sizer with Noe bushings for sizing pc boolits. Does it make any sense to invest in a Lee APP press to size boolits? Seams to me to be 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I also have a LEE Pro 1000 set up to deprime my brass works great. Please tell me if I am missing anything here.

onelight
02-24-2020, 09:21 PM
Boy nobody can make that decision for you , I have one on order and ordered some sizers for it but am mainly going to process hand gun brass with it. So for me With your set up I would not buy it , would just depend on how much time you think you could save sizing.
Unless you just want one :bigsmyl2:

bosterr
02-24-2020, 09:34 PM
I have a Star sizer and use the NOE bushings. I can't imagine anything faster and better than that.

djryan13
02-25-2020, 12:17 AM
NOE sells bushings for Star?

bosterr
02-25-2020, 07:27 AM

Yes and they work extremely well. They're simply a size only deal. I keep cans of .3585 boolits for my Contenders and re-size them to .3570 when I need them for my S&W revolvers.

6bg6ga
02-25-2020, 07:29 AM
Can't you just remove the lube arm off the Star/Magma so your not working the pump and size them?

bosterr
02-25-2020, 08:34 AM
Can't you just remove the lube arm off the Star/Magma so your not working the pump and size them?

That's not necessary. I just short stoke the handle to omit working the pump. They push the next boolit through as usual.

6bg6ga
02-25-2020, 08:59 AM
That's not necessary. I just short stoke the handle to omit working the pump. They push the next boolit through as usual.

Ya that works too. I tend to leave the adjustments alone so if going back its simple matter of connecting the lube arm again.

Springfield
02-26-2020, 06:28 PM
Just pull the plunger out, with no pressure it won't lube bullets.

bosterr
02-26-2020, 11:34 PM
Just pull the plunger out, with no pressure it won't lube bullets.

That's not necessary either.

GWS
02-26-2020, 11:59 PM
The APP does a lot more than sizing boolits. Whether its worth while for you, depends on what else you now do slowwwww in the reloading process. I think the most important and worthwhile feature of an APP is the tube case/bullet feeder.

Boolit sizing aside, I think it'll probably become the tool of choice for:

1. speeding up primer removal of brass you intend to wet polish with s.s. pins.
2. speeding up swaging of military primer pockets with crimps.
3. speeding up bulge removal from bulged pistol brass use a Lee bulge buster die.
4. speeding up the sizing process of pistol brass or even small rifle brass.....at least for those otherwise using a single stage press.

I run two progressives, and I'm still going to order one for at least the first three on the list above. Betcha I won't be sorry.

ioon44
02-27-2020, 09:58 AM
I have a Star sizer with Noe bushings for sizing pc boolits. Does it make any sense to invest in a Lee APP press to size boolits? Seams to me to be 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I also have a LEE Pro 1000 set up to deprime my brass works great. Please tell me if I am missing anything here.

I just ordered the NOE adapter and a bushing for my Star to size Hi-Tek coated bullets and load on a 550 so I don't have any use for any Lee equipment.

Intel6
02-28-2020, 11:46 AM

They sell an adapter bushing that you install into the Star and use their push through sizing bushings. Works great and fast!

Nodakjohns
02-28-2020, 03:25 PM
As of right now i size cast bullets with mine. That was my main reason (because i let them sit to long and they got pretty hard to size in my lyman 4500). I found out with the universal case feeder i could deprime a buttload of 45 acp in a short time. So it really shines for these two things I still have to run them through my Lyman to crimp on the gaschecks. But at least if they are already sized i won't worry about almost breaking my lymam with every bullet! Plus i still use my lyman to lube plain bullets. The rest get powdercoated and then gaschecked. Still have to figure out a way to crimp gaschecks on the app.