PDA

View Full Version : 357 heavy bullet, quite loads

JSH
11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Any of you fellows ever fool with somthing like this. Will be shot in a Marlin carbine.

I have some dead soft, flashing and pipe, RD pb cast up.
Thinking 7-800 fps should go through both front shoulders of a deer at 25-50 yards? Maybe I should go to me regular water dropped WW/lino boolit?
I want pop flop, not bang if I can get it. Stuff is thick and range is close, my garden is my food plot,lol.

Dunno what these weigh. I have several designs of FN though. Could got to the 204 lyman if need be. I think a 160-180 will work??????
I did a search with nothing coming back for what I seek. Maybe just a magnum primer,lol.
jeff

Larry Gibson
11-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Going to take more than a magnum primer. The dead soft lead is the way to go. Start with 3.5 gr Bulleseye and work down in .2 gr increments until you get the velocity where you want. Wipe the bore with a patch dampened with solvent every 5-10 rounds as with these light loads the primer grit doesn't get blown out and it's easy to stick a bullet in the bore. The soft lead will push out easily with a good stiff rod (I like the steel .30 cal barracks cleaning rod with a muzzle guide on it). Be sure and watch the target and make sure every bullet has exitted as you drop the powder charge.

Larry Gibson

sniper
11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Amen to what Larry said! I tried some experimentation along those lines once, after reading an article by a "reloading guru".

IIRC, it suggested starting with a known load, and reducing it by 1/2 , until the bullet would just exit the barrel. As I recall, the noise level was not much less.

Well, I reached the second reduction, and the 158 gr. SWC didn't exit. Fortunately, the range had a hammer and a piece of drill rod that would fit, which lead to a little guy asking; "Mom, why is that man banging on his gun?"

Somehow, I never tried that again. :wink:

lathesmith
11-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Larry gives a lot of good advice here, HEED IT. I have had great success with these loads; noise level is the least with the heavist, softest slug you have, with the longest barrel you have, over about 2.8grains of Bullseye. These are deadly loads, and with a long barrel sound a lot like an air gun to my ears. At 50 yards, go for head shots on deer, this is the most humane and ethical way to use these loads.
lathesmith

JSnover
11-18-2008, 05:58 PM
I stuck a few bullets in my .357 revolver years ago, messing around with ultra-light loads. After that I started carrying a couple of primed cases to the range. The magnum primer had just enough steam to pop the bullets out; no hammers, no cleaning rods, no funny looks from the other shooters. A rifle barrel would have a greater volume, so it might take more than just a primer.

JSH
11-19-2008, 12:02 AM
What do you think about trying some trail boss for this?

lathesmith
11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I've never used Trail Boss personally, but from what others have posted this powder can be fairly dirty with residue. This is all wrong for this application, you need the cleanest burning powder you can find.
lathesmith

James C. Snodgrass
11-19-2008, 11:14 AM
If you can't get it slow enough I've got a sling shot and some 50 cal balls .[smilie=1:

shooting on a shoestring
11-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Great place for some Cream of Wheat. I suggest you fill the case between the BE and Boolit. The COW will keep the powder next to the primer for less shot to shot velocity variation, and the COW will help muffle the pop.

JSH
11-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I have used a bit of TB. Never found it to leave any residue to speak of. Shot it in the 45-70, just didn't have what I really wanted for that. I just ran what the bit of load data I had for the 45-70.
I did run chase down some data for 38 and 357. Nothing for the bullet weight I want to use. I extrapolated and ran with it. I think if memeory serves me right. TB was to be looked at in the burning rate of BE only a LOT more bulky.
jeff