PDA

View Full Version : Young rooks

Refraktorius
11-17-2008, 04:34 AM
In the early summer in Western Jutland, the hunting of young rooks is a great sport.

You stroll around the colony, and when the just flight worthy young jump out of the nest, you pop them with a .22 or (hard shooting) airgun.

The great thing is, that they taste very well.

Skin them, clean them, rub them inside and out with salt and pepper, then fill them with a mixture of chopped onions, bacon and parsley.

Tie them up, brown them at good heat in a large pot (I use a heavy cast iron pot), add cream, put on the lid, and let them simmer for about an hour (they should be just about covered by boiling cream).

Place the rooks on a serving plate, and make sauce from the cream.

Serve with mashed potatoes and green asparagus.

An afternoon of fun in the forest and the gastronomical reward

NoDakJak
11-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds good to me! Put out an extra plate! Neil

dale2242
11-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Wanta trade for some squirrel?---dale

Refraktorius
11-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Wanta trade for some squirrel?---dale

Would really like to try some squirrel, but in Denmark squirrels are too small, too few and too rare to be considered anything but cute and a no-no for hunting.

(And I'm afraid that the nice customs-officers wouldn't like the package :wink: )

StrawHat
11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Young unflighted doves are called squab. Got a fancy name for the unflighted rooks?

Never tried rook.

I have eaten crow a few times.....

Scrounger
11-17-2008, 02:53 PM
I thought squabs were young pigeons...

Refraktorius
11-18-2008, 10:03 AM
.... and I thought pigeons and doves were the same sort of critter :mrgreen:

The Danish word for rook is "råge" and the word for young is "unge", a young rook is simply called a "råge-unge". (The "å" is pronounced like the "o" in "row")
This concludes today's Danish lesson.

I have substituted "Eurasian Collared Dove" for rook in this recipe, with a very tasty result.

StrawHat
11-18-2008, 02:32 PM
The common pigeon is more correctly called the rock dove so yes a young pigeon is also a squab.

Interesting lesson in Danish, thank you.