PDA

View Full Version : Replacement nipple for a stripped out T/C

roverboy
02-18-2020, 02:10 PM
My uncle has a T/C Hawken with stripped out nipple threads. What size nipple would be a little bigger diameter? It could easily be retapped for a different size/thread nipple. Thanks

webfoot10
02-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Track of the Wolf has oversize nipples, give them a call. or tap the hole and use a
heli-coil to repair.

LAGS
02-18-2020, 03:34 PM
The T O W oversized Nipples work great.
I have had to use them before on Abused Rifles that I bought.
I prefer them to any Helicoil insert on rifles that I intend on keeping in my collection.
But if you intend to sell the rifle , be Honest and let the buyer know what you replaced the nipple with.
No harm , no foul.
Things do wear out over time or ignorance.

roverboy
02-18-2020, 07:20 PM
I'll look on Track of the wolf at what they got. Thanks

roverboy
02-18-2020, 07:35 PM
I'll look on Track of the wolf at what they got. Thanks

roverboy
02-18-2020, 07:38 PM
Sorry about double post

country gent
02-20-2020, 12:26 PM
Another route to go is drill and tap to next size. bottom screw in tight then drill and tap to original size. Done right it dosnt show and original parts still work. If they are still available a new breech plug can be fitted also.

LAGS
02-20-2020, 06:58 PM
Drilling , then putting in another Larger bolt , then redrilling it to the original size , is the same as putting in a Heli coil insert.
It works , but I see no advantage to using an oversized Nipple or just drilling and tapping it for a larger nipple.
But it is your rifle , your Abilities and your Pocketbook.
But as long as you can get it firing again Safely all methods will work.

roverboy
02-21-2020, 05:34 PM
Another route to go is drill and tap to next size. bottom screw in tight then drill and tap to original size. Done right it dosnt show and original parts still work. If they are still available a new breech plug can be fitted also.

Its my Uncles rifle and I've not seen it in at least 30 years. I've been thinking about going the helicoil ( we call them inserts at work) or just tap bigger diameter and epoxy or Loctite in a bigger screw and drill and tap it for 1/4-28. Thanks everybody.