PDA

View Full Version : Is this rust or patina?

cbaumann0220
02-17-2020, 11:00 PM
The pictures attached are from a 1917 mk3 smle.
I want to know if the red/orange color is rust or a patina. The metal is still very smooth and you can really only see it in really bright light. If it is rust how do I get rid of it?
I've done google searches and posted in a few other forums but everyone just freaks out and declares they would never strip the black paint off the rifle, which I didn't, it was bought this way.
SO what do you think?

Texas by God
02-17-2020, 11:15 PM
If it doesn’t feel rough to the touch, it’s patina. Sometimes you have to get out the 4 ought steel wool to find the patina. I’d scrub both areas on your rifle carefully then light oil wipe. I thought only No. 4’s were enameled? Welcome to the forum, shooting report coming, right?

JimB..
02-18-2020, 12:19 AM
I’d rub it with a little oiled brass or bronze wool, not steel wool.

303Guy
02-18-2020, 12:26 AM
That can be removed by degreasing then applying bluing salts using fine steel wool. Be sure to remove the bluing salt residue and drying before oiling or it will start rusting!

Oiled brass wool works too but doesn't restore the bluing but does reduce the red appearance. Less risk of further rusting this way and is what I would do.

cbaumann0220
02-18-2020, 12:32 AM
Oh the rifle shoots awesomely! I tend to only shoot at 100 yards or so because I'm not the best shot,but it hits a 8 inch gong reliably usually 17/20 hits.

flint45
02-18-2020, 01:58 PM
If it's patina the gun is worth double...HA HA looks like patina.

pietro
02-19-2020, 08:40 PM

Patina, like bluing, is a form of rusting/browning that protects the metal - just hit it with an oily rag every now & then.

IMO, it looks even better if most of the metal is patina'd.(YMMV)

john.k
02-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Yes,collectors have become obsessive....one touch of steel wool or fake blue devalues the gun by 50%.....in other words .dont do anything,but oiling ......And as for sanding........Another word...some kinds of blueing show red in a certain kind of artificial light ......some new guns show this...So ,look at the gun in daylight . .

gnoahhh
02-19-2020, 09:49 PM
Patina= rust. Just a milder friendlier form of rust, but rust it is. Keep it oiled like everybody is saying.

Hogtamer
02-19-2020, 10:56 PM
On your gun it's rust. On mine it's patina!

RustyReel
02-20-2020, 06:18 AM
On your gun it's rust. On mine it's patina!

Yep. If I'm buying the gun it is rust, if I'm selling the gun it is patina!

john.k
02-20-2020, 07:55 AM
Had another look.....its the borderline between blue and brown.....old guns eventually go brown,especially if used a lot ,like an old double......The blueing done on British military guns is very durable,and looks like it has thickness like paint.....This kind of blueing cannot be done without using "corrosive sublimate",a very poisonous chloride of mercury..(all salts of mercury are very poisonous)....so outside of a third world country ,the blueing cant be duplicated.

Multigunner
02-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Bluing is just a controlled rust. The British even called their cold bluing a Browning solution.
Basically its both rust and patina. I'd leave well enough alone, it adds character.

TCLouis
02-25-2020, 05:18 PM
Looks like you are getting it down.

NOW go to a 6" gong. You will be surprised how well you can shoot!

Aim small

Hit small