PDA

View Full Version : What 38-55?

870TC
11-16-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm looking at getting a single shot 38-55. Hoping to spend less than a $1000.00, not interested in the H&R's. What guns should I be looking at or avoiding?

Buckshot
11-17-2008, 02:15 AM
............Eliminating the H&R's and setting that price limit you're pretty much limited to the Uberti's. However I can not recommend them due to the spotty record of accuracy. and it's all in the barrels. You might get a good one, and you might not. I bought mine from Cimarron. The bore was rough as a cob and the crown was bad.

http://www.fototime.com/4A79DE95D6DA51F/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/A75FAC00C7D6686/standard.jpg

It's a very attractive rifle without a doubt and if you just wanted to hang it on the wall I'd say go for it. It's fit and finish is very good to excellent all over. Mine was sent off for repair and when I got it back it was no better. Had a bad crown and 'waviness' in the lands, but was not re-barreled. Cimarron had ordered a new barrel as of about 6 weeks ago, but I've heard nothing yet about when to send my rifle.

The Pedersoli versions use soem Uberti parts but the barrels are Pedersoli so you know they'll be good. I dont' know how much they're going for so they might be over your limit. BTW, Cimarron IS standing behind the rifle, but December of this year will be a year I've had it, and it's been a wasted year.

................Buckshot

missionary5155
11-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Me I am waiting on a used Winchester or Browning ... It may take awhile but I am patient. And I have my leveractions I can load single shot ( :) ) .. As Buckshot stated the Pedersoli seem to be shooters... I have a 45-70 that does as good as I can hold. So maybe a used one of those would be sufficient...

bullshot
11-17-2008, 08:22 AM
There are no Pedersoli's in the country in 38/55 yet. Pedersoli had accuracy issues with the first production guns. Last I heard was shipment middle to end of Nov. I have had one bought and paid for since July. Although I'm anxious to get the rifle I respect the company's position to get it right before releasing.

jimkim
11-17-2008, 08:53 AM
They have a Taylor 1885 Highwall on GunsAmerica Right now. They want $849.00. I guess that would be close to your parameters. If it was me I would get a TC and order a barrel for it.

KCSO
11-17-2008, 10:48 AM
On the other hand I got mine from Cimmarron and it was just fine barrel wise but the bore was what i would consider oversize at 380. I have a Little Sharps in 38-55 on order and will report when it comes in.

WBH
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't know if you have the time or patience to have one rebarreled,, BUT.....
you could probably buy a rifle with good mechanics (rec, wood, etc) but with a shot out or rusted bore and have it rebarreled. It might even be a fun project. Rebarreling with the tube should cost around $500. The used action with furniture could be had reasonably if you hunt around.

Just an idea that I have done several times with good success. You could also build a custom roller off an original action with NEW wood and barrel that would be exactly your specs for around $2000 (sans sights).

Lots of options. Both my Pedersoli rifles are great shooters, though I did buy better Soule sights for them.

Harry O
11-17-2008, 02:15 PM
You could do like I did. I bought a 94 Winchester .375 BB at a very good price (under $400 a few years ago). The price has gone up since then, but they should still be wAAAAAAy less than $1,000. Then I loaded it with BP like it was a 38-55.

My wife loves it. She has since moved to a Ruger No. 2 in .375 Win loaded with BP. I got the 94 Win BB back. Kicks like a SOB with heavy bullet, full power loads. 38-55 loads would make it much more comfortable, but I have not tried that out yet.

The only difference between the two is the .375 case is a little bit shorter than the 38-55.

August
11-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Get a Miroku now! They are available for a limited time. They will always be worth what they cost. They are very desirable. You will not lose a cent.

Pay a few buck more now to avoid frustration and more money down the line.

How many times do I have to learn this lesson in life?????

tejano
11-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey, what about a Contender barrel from Bullberry or one of the other custom makers? Been thinking about that one myself.:mrgreen:

No_1
11-17-2008, 08:15 PM
This is one barrel that is on my list. I wonder if one of the custom makers would consider doing a group buy as long as the caliber is the same. The key would be getting barrels in the length that each individual wants.

Robert

Hey, what about a Contender barrel from Bullberry or one of the other custom makers? Been thinking about that one myself.:mrgreen:

John Boy
11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I have the same DST pistol grip Uberti that Buckshot has. Mine is fitted with a globe front and a vernier rear. It:
... has drop dead gorgeous wood
... fit to finish is excellent
... shoots accurately to 500 meters
... with original powder in 2.125" cases
... in a barrel that is 371 - 378
... with 379 or 380 base diameter bullets
... that are 332gr
No complaints from me

Marine Sgt 2111
11-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I just picked up a pair of Winchester Limited's and if the .38-55 shoots as good as the .32-40 (1.1" @ 100yds with iron sights and no load development) oh man is it a winner. Shoot'em up boys!!!!

KCSO
11-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Here's my latest 38-55 ...

This started out as a Wnchester m94 in 30-30 and after some swapping and some work is now a 38-55 with a .377 bore and a 26" barrel. As to how it shoots...

65 yards out the window of the car as the 10 yard line was blocked by a deadfall. This was with factory irons and i am drilling and tapping the tang for a Marbles tang sight.

McLintock
11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Do something similar to what I did, watch the auction sites like Gunbroker and Auctionarms, for a good Remington roller, for around $400, for an action. Try to get a No. 5 in 7mm, as it has the small firing pin. Then have someone like Lonestar rebarrel it for around $500 (He did my cousins roller for that price), get a wood set from Treebone (available from Brownells'), put it all together and you're at $1000 or so. Won't include sights, but you're kidding yourself if you think you'll get a good rifle for less than a $1000, unless you're lucky with a Uberti. Here's what I ended up with:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/2593806/334107369.jpg
It's got some action embellishments that aren't necessary, so if you get a decent action, it shouldn't need any work.
I've got 2 of the Browning Traditional Hunter's in 38-55 and I wouldn't sell either for $1000, they shoot too good for that low of a price.
McLintock

Johnw...ski
11-19-2008, 05:47 PM
McLintock,

That rifle came out absolutely beautiful, it's the way I would have done it.

Here's a picture of the 38-55 I had built earlier this year although it came in over the $1000 budget at $1745. That price is without sights, I was lucky to score the sights for $550, so I have $2295 into it, and we won't get into the Lyman Super Target Spot that I also aquired for this rifle.

John

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk166/JohnWski/FekenHi-Wall38-55002.jpg

Do something similar to what I did, watch the auction sites like Gunbroker and Auctionarms, for a good Remington roller, for around $400, for an action. Try to get a No. 5 in 7mm, as it has the small firing pin. Then have someone like Lonestar rebarrel it for around $500 (He did my cousins roller for that price), get a wood set from Treebone (available from Brownells'), put it all together and you're at $1000 or so. Won't include sights, but you're kidding yourself if you think you'll get a good rifle for less than a $1000, unless you're lucky with a Uberti. Here's what I ended up with:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/2593806/334107369.jpg
It's got some action embellishments that aren't necessary, so if you get a decent action, it shouldn't need any work.
I've got 2 of the Browning Traditional Hunter's in 38-55 and I wouldn't sell either for $1000, they shoot too good for that low of a price.
McLintock

Jon K
11-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Bullberry builds a good barrel, but if you order one be sure to discuss size, and send him a dummy round with the Boolit you want to shoot, so he can chamber to fit because he usually chambers everything for Sierra Bullets.

Van Horn builds a 38-55 barrel 375 diameter 1;12 twist, I had one, it was a great shooter, and reasonably priced, but just doesn't have the appeal of a traditional single shot rife. I sold it cheap, and had less than 100 rounds thru it.

Jon

WBH
11-28-2008, 10:49 PM
I'll second that about Fred at Bullberry. I have a 6mm Bullberry Improved Match Contender barrel that Fred built for me along with some impresive wood work.
The rifle will shoot .375" @ 100 yards, but only likes The Sierra 60-87 grain bullets.
Very nice barrel work. They stand behind their work.

tejano
12-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Gentlemen, I did not go the Bullberry route. Instead, at lunch today I placed an order for a Winchester 1885 Trapper Limited in 38-55. This carbine only has a 16 1/2" barrel. Who already has one and can tell me what the specs are on their barrel? I plan to shot cast in this one, probably exclusively.

While I have a very understanding wife, I haven't broken the news to her yet because this will be my 12th rifle purchase this year. No sense in pushing my luck. :mrgreen:

Marine Sgt 2111
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Congradulations on the purchase of a fine carbine, I just purchased the rifle. I have heard nothing but praise for the weapon and how it shoots. I believe the groove diameter is .376" but that isn't in stone.