PDA

View Full Version : Drillling M1 gas plug ?

Hang Fire
12-17-2005, 12:59 AM
I have a couple of spare gas plugs for my M1 and was considering drilling one so as to use the rifle for a straight pull bolt action for certain loads.

Does anyone know which size hole (or holes) to drill in the end of gas plug to insure the gas escapes without the operating system being activated?

Frank46
12-17-2005, 03:54 AM
Hangfire, there are atleast two such options open for you. One is the gas plug has interchangeable allen head socket screws that do have various interchangeable orofices to bleed offgas. The second one only has one screw that comes predrilled. My advice is to check with Brownells as they I believe sell one of the setups I mentioned. Hope that this helps Frank

Hang Fire
12-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Hangfire, there are atleast two such options open for you. One is the gas plug has interchangeable allen head socket screws that do have various interchangeable orofices to bleed offgas. The second one only has one screw that comes predrilled. My advice is to check with Brownells as they I believe sell one of the setups I mentioned. Hope that this helps Frank

I remember reading once, that one could simply drill out a certain size hole in the end of gas plug to vent the gas, but, seems my memory fails when I try to recall the specifics.

Frank46
12-18-2005, 03:36 AM
Hang fire, I seem to remember that the gas plug was drilled then tapped to take a allen screw. Only the gas valve body was supposed to be drilled and tapped. Not the valve itself.
The allen screw with a suitable hole in it (do not have the hole size) was supposed to push down the valve and the orofice in the allen screw was to provide the gas relief. Tried to find the article but no luck. Normally the gas valve is supposed to be in the fully closed position and only when using the grenade launching gizmo is it held open if memory is still working, but if one were to install the allen screw without the hole I think you could experiment about how far you'd have to have it screwed in to work as you wanted. Because the gas would vent around the screw rather than through it. Just a thought Frank

TCLouis
12-18-2005, 12:14 PM
NRA and some others did this I though the piston was replaced with a new one so there was nop movement and NO gas was passed to the piston.
Too bad they di not make externally controoled like the Lunjaminn(sp)/Hakim.

Hang Fire
12-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Frank46 & TCLouis

Thanks for the info, from input this may not be as simple as first thought.

Frank46
12-20-2005, 03:08 AM
Hang Fire, try and find the old style gas plugs. These have a round hole with two wings on each side. May be easier to drill and tap. The newer style had to be first drilled out for the tap and very carefully tapped because of the four for want of a better term vents are all that are there to take the threads. Frank