PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mould Handles

GregLaROCHE
02-15-2020, 04:33 AM
Why does Lee make their mould handles a different size than RCBS and Lyman, that seem to be the standard? Would it cost that much more to produce ones that would fit other moulds, or moulds that would fit standard handles?

Walks
02-15-2020, 05:12 AM
RCBS has made the same handles since they bought out Lachmiller/Ohaus. Lyman just changed over to the Saeco type. And as far as I know Lee handles fit all Lyman 2cav and RCBS. N.O.E., MP and Accurate too.
So what is your question ?

GregLaROCHE
02-15-2020, 11:04 AM
RCBS has made the same handles since they bought out Lachmiller/Ohaus. Lyman just changed over to the Saeco type. And as far as I know Lee handles fit all Lyman 2cav and RCBS. N.O.E., MP and Accurate too.
So what is your question ?

That’s great news. Now I can buy Lee handles for my new Lyman mould.

Ed_Shot
02-15-2020, 11:16 AM
A few months ago I bought my first RCBS 2 cav mold. A newly bought set of Lee handles would not fit (too fat). However, a little careful grinding with a dremel tool finished up with a file solved all problems. The Lee handles have always worked fine for me with NOE, Accurate and Arsenal molds. My experience.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-15-2020, 11:45 AM
Here's a list ;)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?154184-Lee-6-Cavity-Handle-interchange-Use-list

Mal Paso
02-15-2020, 12:26 PM
Why does Lee make their mould handles a different size than RCBS and Lyman, that seem to be the standard? Would it cost that much more to produce ones that would fit other moulds, or moulds that would fit standard handles?

I would suspect Lee sells more handles than RCBS and Lyman combined making Lee the standard. Especially since all the independent mold makers use them. RCBS and Lyman are right there with Kodak and IBM for loosing market share.

Mk42gunner
02-15-2020, 07:56 PM
Additionally, Lee handles are typically the least expensive to buy brand new; making them the odds on favorite for modification, if necessary.

Robert

Chill Wills
02-21-2020, 10:02 PM
The Lee are a good value. The only two troubles I have with them is, it would be "more gooder" and easier to use if they opened a 1/2" wider.

So, when I get a new pair I take them apart and 5 minutes with a mill bastard file fixes that problem.

The other problem is, often I have to epoxy one or both wooden handles back in place. That is a permanent fix.

Walks
02-21-2020, 10:43 PM
I modified an RCBS set of handles for My OLD 2cav Lachmiller molds.
I also modified a Lee set last year.

I think I prefer RCBS handles over all others.

Conditor22
02-22-2020, 02:07 AM
A word of caution about Lee's commercial mold handles. the last 4 pair I bought the tips DID NOT LINE UP when closed
https://i.imgur.com/tcTMr2c.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WqEcN8v.jpg

this is a bad thing because the mold halves won't line up when closed -- or put a lot of strain on the alignment pins to get the mold lined up and closed.

I returned 2 pair for replacement then refund, the other 2 I got 2 big nuts that fit around the nut/bolt on the handles, clamped them into a vice and used a flat bar to gently tweak the handles a little at a time until the tips lined up.

I heard of a guy ruining a brass mold because of one of these handles

Chill Wills
02-22-2020, 12:07 PM
That is an interesting point about the line up. I guess none of mine are so bad that I noticed BUT I am going to look at them to see. There is no point in wallowing out the alignment pin female holes if it can be corrected.

Taterhead
02-24-2020, 01:50 AM
If wanting the dimensions of the Lee "Commercial" handles, the NOE clones are great handles! Noticeably higher quality, and worth the additional cost.

smithnframe
02-24-2020, 08:23 AM
My Lee mould handles fit all of my moulds, RCBS, Lyman, Saeco with no modifications!