PDA

View Full Version : Chassepot Needles

GregLaROCHE
02-14-2020, 10:19 AM
How sharp should Chassepot needles be. I was wondering if not too sharp would be better, than as sharp as a sewing needle.
Thanks

elk hunter
02-15-2020, 10:13 AM
I don't know about the Chassepot but do have experience with a Dreyse needle rifle. For the Dreyse I've found that if the needle is too pointed/sharp it will occasionally pierce the musket caps that I generally use as a primer and not set them off. I've come to prefer large Berdan primers over the musket caps as they seem to be much more resistant to piercing. The paper cartridge I make isn't difficult to pierce so a blunt needle works well. I only have a small number of the Berdan primers left so I'm rationing them. I did locate a supplier of Berdan primers but would have to buy in lots of 5000 and I don't think I would use that many in this lifetime.

GregLaROCHE
02-15-2020, 11:14 AM
Here are some Berdan primers for sale in France. Maybe if you search the brand you can find someone in the US that sells them. I’ve heard they are good for Chassepots too.

yulzari
02-15-2020, 12:14 PM
The Chassepot needle, for original ammunition, has to pierce a natural rubber disk to reach the primer and to let the disk slip off the needle when the reverse pressure behind the bolt post blows the disk forwards down the barrel once the bullet/powder case has exited the barrel dropping the pressure in the barrel.

So yes it had to be sharp, if not 'needle' sharp. In many modern Chassepot cartridge DIY designs the rubber disk is omitted. Often due to the maker failing to understand the system as a whole. For these it can be less sharp. The sharp fires off the primer anyway. If not then the usual cause is either the powder case is not rigid enough or the cartridge is too short. Ordinary musket caps work fine.

salpal48
02-15-2020, 12:30 PM
Basic Needles are sold by H&C Collection In France. I have Purchased there Conversion Kits as well.

GregLaROCHE
02-16-2020, 07:18 AM
Basic Needles are sold by H&C Collection In France. I have Purchased there Conversion Kits as well.

Needles can also be made from the appropriate size piano wire.

yulzari
02-16-2020, 12:55 PM
Bicycle spoke too.