PDA

View Full Version : Need help, Found a weird looking military type of 310 tool????

mikenbarb
11-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I just found an old Military loading tool that looks like a cast iron pair of spring loaded pliars with a reinforced T shaped rail on one end with a type of chamber attachment that swivels out for possibly loading and unloading the cartridges in it. The other end has what looks like a adjustable primer seater with a knurled finger adjuster. Its stamped US, O.M.L. and 59 in a few places with little numbers and looks like its for a larger rifle cartridge with an opening of 2-3/4"-3". It looks like a type of military 310 tool but smaller scale with a cast steel construction and a rail off the one side and looks like its possibly from the Indian War period??? Im lost on this one and any help would be appreciated.
Below is kinda the shape of it and hopefully you get the idea.LOL.

X___X < Top where cartridge goes.
( ) < Handles

schutzen
11-16-2008, 06:22 PM
How about a picture?

mikenbarb
11-16-2008, 07:05 PM
I wish I could but dont know how to but im trying to get it to work. I hate technology!

hydraulic
11-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Sounds to me like you have one of the primer/deprimers for the .30-40 Krag. These were sold ten or fifteen years ago in the Shotgun News and I think Springfield Sporters had them for a while. The depriming pin was missing in the ones we bought for our shooting club (First U.S. Infantry of Fort Randall, Dakota Territory). We made an insert that worked. OML is the initials of the government inspector. I have seen complete reloading kits issued by the army with these tools in them. If I remember correctly, we paid $10 for them. They were handy for depriming .45-70 shells that had been loaded with black powder. Deprimed and droped the empty in a milk jug full of water. There's a picture of them in Earnest and Waite's book on trapdoors.

mikenbarb
11-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I found out what it is and its a Frankford Military hand tool used for capping and decapping cases and was military issued in the early 1900's.

Just Duke
11-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Can you hold it a little closer to the computer screen so we can all see it Mike?

mikenbarb
11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Can you see it now?? LOL. Im gonna post a pic later.

buck1
12-26-2008, 12:50 AM
I am not good enugh to clean it up . But I tryed.....Buck

mikenbarb
12-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Thats actually a Herters neck die I have and the capping tool is gone and off to a private collection. Thanks.