PDA

View Full Version : moose milk

cajun shooter
11-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Whats the % of Ballistol to water for "MOOSE MILK"? I'm trying to mix some up to put down the bbls of my SXS for the next SASS match. I also read somewh[smilie=s:ere that it's good over a hot bowel of oats.

calaloo
11-16-2008, 01:05 PM
According to the instructions on the Ballistol can mix 50% to 50%. But it also sais that you can increse the water if desired.

I generally like Cajun cooking but a hot bowel of oats doesn't do much for me. Come to think of it though, Boudain is a bowel full of rice, pork, and pork liver and I'm going to have some for lunch.

Bill

August
11-16-2008, 02:35 PM
I've heard most guys say 1 in 10. I tend toward 50/50, however.

montana_charlie
11-16-2008, 03:05 PM
20/80 is a common mix. You can also use one of the water-soluable cutting oils instead of Ballistol. I get mine from Napa.
CM

Hip's Ax
11-16-2008, 09:11 PM
My mentor taught me to use 10:1 water soluble cutting oil and water. I think we're using Tru Sol.

Ballistol is expensive compared to this stuff.

cajun shooter
11-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Calaloo, It's spelled BOUDIN and it's all the meat parts like head meat, livers with cajun seasoning and then it's stuffed into hog casings. In Louisiana we call a 7 course meal a six-pack of Bud and a large link of BOUDIN. Notice I said I read somewhere about the oats I didn't say I was eating them. In 90 while in Sturgis, SD I ask for some grits with my eggs and the waitress said " Whats a Grit ". She could not understand why 7 guy's from Louisiana where laughing so hard.

LIMPINGJ
11-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Just remember when you get out of the South they use yellow corn and call it Polenta. Charge a lot more too.

montana_charlie
11-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Just remember when you get out of the South they use yellow corn and call it Polenta. Charge a lot more too.
When my Grandmother made it from yellow corn (in Texas) we called it 'mush'. My wife (from Madrid, Spain) calls it 'polenta'.

Mush can be made thick enough to be formed in a 'loaf', sliced, and browned in bacon grease. That's 'fried mush'.
One favorite way to eat that is with butter and syrup...as a substitute for hotcakes...which somewhat resembles 'french toast'.
CM

Muddy Creek Sam
11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Calaloo, It's spelled BOUDIN and it's all the meat parts like head meat, livers with cajun seasoning and then it's stuffed into hog casings. In Louisiana we call a 7 course meal a six-pack of Bud and a large link of BOUDIN. Notice I said I read somewhere about the oats I didn't say I was eating them. In 90 while in Sturgis, SD I ask for some grits with my eggs and the waitress said " Whats a Grit ". She could not understand why 7 guy's from Louisiana where laughing so hard.

cs,

When I was still trucking I ordered Grits in Delaware. The brought me some of the Hominy Sh(*. Disgusting stuff.:veryconfu

Sam :-D

NoDakJak
11-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Mush is good no matter whether it is yellow or white. Grits is better and if it isn't made of Hominy then it is just mush. Fried mush is realy great! Fried Grits just has to be the staff of life. What I can't figure out is why I have never been able to find fried grits in the south. Is that just a midwest thing? Neil

montana_charlie
11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
What I can't figure out is why I have never been able to find fried grits in the south. Is that just a midwest thing?
I think that when Southerners try to fry any mixture containing corn and water...it comes out as 'hush puppies'.
CM

calaloo
11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
cajun shooter

Apparently both spellings are correct. Zummo's, the brand that I buy spells it boudain. No matter how you spell it it is pronounced boodan and it is good. Love them grits too. I'm going to cook up some real nice and thick and fry it.

Bill