PDA

View Full Version : Applying Gas Checks w/out sizing

Black Wolf
11-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has a method that allows you to crimp on a gas check without running it through a sizing die. I have all lee equipment, hornandy gas checks.

I wanna' take my .32 cal gas checks and crimp them on a .329 cast bullet. I hate to buy a sizing die of .329 just to get the gas check crimped on.

TIA
BW

Larry Gibson
11-16-2008, 10:28 AM
You say "all the equipment"? Thus if you have a Lyman or RCBS lubrasizer and a .32 sizer (.323-.325"?) then put that sizer in the lubrasizer.. Run the stop stop all the way up. The sizers ("H" die) for those has a tapered feed so start running a bullet with the GC on into the sizer adjusting the stop until the GC is crimped to the diameter wanted. Only the GC will be grimped and sized that way.

Getting a Lee sizer at .329" is another option.

Larry Gibson

xr650
11-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Larry,
He said "all Lee equipment" as in all of his equipment is Lee brand.

Black Wolf,
Using the Lyman lubrasizer with the check installer as Larry stated is the only way I know of to install checks without sizing.

44man
11-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Does Lee make a factory crimp die for that caliber? If so, you can crimp checks on with it using a little thought.

Black Wolf
11-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Larry,
He said "all Lee equipment" as in all of his equipment is Lee brand.

Black Wolf,
Using the Lyman lubrasizer with the check installer as Larry stated is the only way I know of to install checks without sizing.

xr650 - you are correct. I use lee presses, dies, sizing dies, etc (except for the case trimmer). Anyhow, I usually size my bullets with a lee sizing die but was going to shoot my .329 as cast, but needed to install "ie crimp on" the gas checks.

I'll probably just have to fork more cash for a .329 sizing die. Thanks guys.

Larry Gibson
11-16-2008, 08:37 PM
xr650

Right you are....my bad....just trying to help but I was beyond his capability. Sorry

Larry Gibson

jack19512
11-16-2008, 11:39 PM
I have Lee equipment also and when I want to install a GC without sizing the boolit I use the sizer die but run the boolit base first into the sizer and only run the boolit into the sizer just enough to crimp the GC. Then I use a very small hammer and wooden dowel to knock the boolit back out of the sizer. It is more time consuming but works well for me.

jonk
11-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Ditto on the base first option to install the gas check.

I also have had good luck gluing them on with super glue and not sizing otherwise.

dwtim
11-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I run all of my GC bullets through my Lee sizer upside-down. The checks just pucker and pop off the other way. If the style is round nose, I use Lyman top punches "adapted" to fit on the Lee ram.

I would spring for the 329 sizer. I'd hate to knock that bullet out and either ruin the nose, or have the check come out lop-sided.

David R
11-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Push through sizer. Cheap and fast.

I use it for a 7.65 argentine I think its .314 puts the gas checks on great.

David :)

jack19512
11-18-2008, 03:46 AM
I'd hate to knock that bullet out and either ruin the nose, or have the check come out lop-sided.

There is no danger of either ruining the nose of the boolit or the GC coming out lop-sided if done right. You catch the boolit in your hand when taping it back out, it doesn't take much, and you seat the GC on the base of the boolit before crimping. At least I have not encountered any problems.

PatMarlin
11-18-2008, 08:33 AM
That's interesting as I read Black Wolf's post the same way Larry did substituting "the" for "lee".

Must be a west coast declination thing... :mrgreen: