PDA

View Full Version : 358627 in 38 Special?

Michael J. Spangler
02-10-2020, 10:14 PM
So I just picked ups 2 cavity Lyman NOS 358627 and I'm dying to shoot some of these bullets.
I read Fryxell's articles and saw his load data. I'm probably just going to go with his data.

However I was wondering if anyone has an old Lyman manual with load data for this bullet? I dug through some of my old manuals and I just seem to have a gap leaving me lacking a book that even shows this bullet.

Does anyone have the background on who designed this bullet? I read it was designed for the 357 maximum but was hoping for some more info. I like a good story.

I'm excited that this bullet loaded to the top crimp groove in a 38 case will just cycle through my Uberti 1873. It cycles smooth through my Marlin 1894 too so I should be able to see the difference from Fryxell's 650ish FPS in his revolver and a rifle length barrel.

I also want to test these out of a snubby to see if they tumble and make a mess in ballistic gel. Just for giggles to see if they mimic the old man stopped 38 S&W.

Doesn't anyone have any pet loads? Any fun stories about this mould? Or maybe some nice pics?

bowfin
02-11-2020, 01:13 PM
Great...I thought I had all of the molds I needed until I read your post.:grin:

Michael J. Spangler
02-11-2020, 02:04 PM
Hahahaha.
In my experience there’s always one more.

jrayborn
02-23-2020, 10:41 AM
Yes always one more mold, die, firearm. What a hobby!