PDA

View Full Version : CVA Hunter Rifle

Nit Wit
02-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Picked up a used one in .243 at Kittery Trading Post in Maine on Saturday. Excellent condition. On the way home I dropped it of at a Gunsmith friends place. He crowned it with an 11 degree target crown. I picked it up today and topped it with a Nikon 3x9 BDC. I'll bore sight it tonight and the next warm weekend I'll dial it in. Grand kids are coming to Maine from Alaska and My son will be farming land I bought. We love deer hunting! Anyone have one of these inexpensive rifles?

NW

Elroy
02-10-2020, 07:09 PM
I have the compact Hunter in 7mm08,and aside from looks I favor it over my Henry single shot.It has a great trigger especially compared with the Henry.Mine is picky about sizing,but a lot of single shot break opens seem to be.My compact came with a nice recessed crown on it's 20 inch barrel.

Jedman
02-10-2020, 07:54 PM
I have one in 243 Win. and it is a sub MOA rifle. I have shot many antelope with mine and l like everything about it except that the stock is plastic. I have for years wanted to make / convert a stock and forend from another gun with real walnut but haven't got to it yet. When I bought mine I got it for less than the H&R handi rifle and think it's a much better gun.

Jedman

gunauthor
02-10-2020, 07:59 PM
I have one in 450 Bushmaster, great rifle and the price was right !!!!!!

Nit Wit
02-10-2020, 08:47 PM
Mine was $175.00, Plastic is ugly but durable. I read some reviews and it sounded like a decent little rifle. Glad to see some other folks are happy with theirs. I have hunted with cap locks and flint locks for years. A single shot rifle will make you a better hunter!
NW

dh2
02-10-2020, 09:12 PM
I have one in 35 Whelen, it is a wonderful rifle, very easy to handle , I got it after hunting most of my life with bolt rifles, I don't see the single shoot affecting much the first shot is the only one that matters any way. I am thinking about getting one in 444Marlin

Texas by God
02-10-2020, 11:01 PM
I have one in 243 Win. and it is a sub MOA rifle. I have shot many antelope with mine and l like everything about it except that the stock is plastic. I have for years wanted to make / convert a stock and forend from another gun with real walnut but haven't got to it yet. When I bought mine I got it for less than the H&R handi rifle and think it's a much better gun.

JedmanThat seals it for me. I've seen 7mm-08s right at $200 brand new. I better get one before they go way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

hpdrifter
02-10-2020, 11:50 PM
Anyone have one in 45-70?

Curious what the bore diameter runs?

TCLouis
02-11-2020, 01:11 PM
I think Academy had them (7-08, 223) with scope for 229 here in middle TN.
I bought it because it had the plastic stock.
Pretty, nice to look at, . . . NO!
but practical no matter the weather
Sounds great closing the action.
Like closing the door on a quality car back in the day.
SOLID!!!
Got it shooting decently with coated projies and now need to get back to slinging soup cans!

Jedman
02-11-2020, 06:50 PM
256616My rifle is a early Scout model but believe it is the same as the now Hunter models.

Jedman

Texas by God
02-11-2020, 07:44 PM
Maybe just maybe if they get popular enough, Boyd’s will offer wood furniture for them.

Elroy
02-11-2020, 07:53 PM
https://lockedloaded.com/ Locked and loaded has a pretty nice selection,some are sold out,but they have a lot of good deals on what they do have in stock.They offer a way wider selection of calibers than I imagined,especially the big heavy stuff.

8mm
02-11-2020, 08:07 PM
I own 2 CVA Hunter rifles as well as 3 CVA Scout V2 rifles. The Hunters are in 35 Whelen and 45-70. The Scout V2s are in 35 Whelen, 444 Marlin, and 44 Mag. In my opinion these are the best single shot rifle values for price and performance. The triggers are light and crisp. The metal work is excellent and the barrels are reputed to be mfg. by Bergarra.
For me the 35 Whelens and 45-70 deliver the best accuracy compared to several other brands of rifles I own in those calibers. All my shooting in these rifles are mid level loads with cast bullets. The 444 is very accurate but I still have further load development to complete. Since I no longer hunt, top velocities are no longer a priority. Even the modest loads I use are more than adequate for deer.

steve urquell
02-12-2020, 04:31 AM
Love my V2 in .300BLK. I wish CVA would import some of Bergara's wood camo stocks like they put on the BA13 overseas. Plastic but look nice.

https://i.imgur.com/AnVCA0J.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8AnVWA0.png

BA-13
https://i.imgur.com/ulg8kek.png

richhodg66
02-12-2020, 08:05 AM
The Optima Elite I have in 7mm-08 is a good rifle, shoots cast pretty well. It is homely, but that stock is a nice design, seems comfortable shooting from a bench or any position.

Nit Wit
02-15-2020, 04:32 PM
It warmed up to 20 degrees today so I sighted it in. What a pleasant rifle to shoot. Very nice trigger also. That crush zone pad absorbs most of the recoil. Very pleased.
Nit Wit