PDA

View Full Version : my son smoked his first ML deer today

idahoron
11-16-2008, 01:26 AM
This year my son Jacob wanted to shoot a deer with his ML and he also wanted to back pack a deer. Well he got both of his wishes today. This is his first ML deer. He got her on a youth any weapon doe hunt. After he got her down the fun stopped. The 460 gr 500 S&W bullets didn't have a chance to show pentration. He shot her in the neck as she was looking at us.
We snuck up on this deer from down in a small canyon. When we climbed out of the canyon she was just over 100 yards. Something about us got her attention and she came closer. He shot her with his TC Renegade with a GM LRH stainless barrel. The load was 80 gr of Pyrodex P with a paper patched 460 gr Lee 500 S&W bullet. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Jacobdeer08-3-A.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Jacobdeer08-2.jpg

madcaster
11-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Looks like a fine time!Congradulations to you both!

missionary5155
11-16-2008, 06:11 AM
Well done ! There is not much better hunting than with a son ! First deer I shot was with a replica Zouave .58 with a .57 round ball and patch. It only gets better from here. God Bless your time together.

RugerFan
11-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Very nice! Tell him CONGRATS and nice shot. I know the feeling as well. Watching my son harvest game is probably more of a thrill than doing it myself.

eka
11-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Ron that is outstanding!! Give the young man a big 'ole pat on the back for doing it the hard way. Some of the best memories for sure.

My oldest son and I still get a big laugh about one of his first deer hunts. He could take a doe, being a kid, but I could only take a buck. It was particularly cold that morning and then the sun came up and he got warm. You guessed it, he fell asleep. I was about twenty yards away from him when two fat does came upon him. I couldn't wake him up or shoot them, so I just watched as these two does sniffed him and all but stepped on him. A little while later he woke up, non the wiser. I like to have never convinced him that the deer were hunting him. A video of that would have been more prized than a huge rack any day. Now, I just take him along and set him out as deer attractant. :lol:

You know Ron, I bought a Renegade a while back to convert to a .32 squirrel rifle with a GM barrel. I still have the original .50 barrel sitting there not being used. I use another rifle in .50 for roundballs. I've been thinking about doing something with paperpatch for that barrel. I can't remember the twist rate off the top of my head, but I know it's in the middle somewhere so it should work with that Lee boolit your talking about. Hmm, another project maybe.

Congrats again,

Keith

11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Congrats! Fine day afield and the togetherness can never be replaced.

eka - Just a thought. I, too, have a Renegade and have a GM round baller to replace the factory. I took the factory barrel and had it bored to a smoothbore .60. It's wild with a patched round ball of .595 or so, and it also works as about a 20 ga. ML shotgun. Like I said, just a thought......

Bigjohn
11-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Idahoron, give the lad a pat on the back and a firm handshake from me. Job well done.

He seems to be well and truly on the Lifes Learning Trial stocking up on experiences he will be able to relate to his grandkids.

John

crowbeaner
11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Fine hunting! That's the way to do it and Capt. Tred Barta would have to agree! My kid is still looking to take his first, and God willing we'll get it done this Thanksgiving. Count the days afield with your kids; they are irreplaceable and moments to cherish forever.

Underclocked
11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Congrats to Jacob and pa. :)

Clark Savage Jr
11-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Warm feeling, isn't it? Congrats!

My grandson harvested his first deer this year at age 13. It was a fine mule doe and a one-shot kill with a .308 that was given to him by one of my old friends.

We had a nice wall plaque made up commerating the event and will present it to him on Thanksgiving day.

billsr
11-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Ron that is outstanding!! Give the young man a big 'ole pat on the back for doing it the hard way. Some of the best memories for sure.

My oldest son and I still get a big laugh about one of his first deer hunts. He could take a doe, being a kid, but I could only take a buck. It was particularly cold that morning and then the sun came up and he got warm. You guessed it, he fell asleep. I was about twenty yards away from him when two fat does came upon him. I couldn't wake him up or shoot them, so I just watched as these two does sniffed him and all but stepped on him. A little while later he woke up, non the wiser. I like to have never convinced him that the deer were hunting him. A video of that would have been more prized than a huge rack any day. Now, I just take him along and set him out as deer attractant. :lol:

You know Ron, I bought a Renegade a while back to convert to a .32 squirrel rifle with a GM barrel. I still have the original .50 barrel sitting there not being used. I use another rifle in .50 for roundballs. I've been thinking about doing something with paperpatch for that barrel. I can't remember the twist rate off the top of my head, but I know it's in the middle somewhere so it should work with that Lee boolit your talking about. Hmm, another project maybe.

Congrats again,

Keith

Isn't the standard twist 1 in 48 inches?