PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock Winter Woods, Montana

rfd
02-10-2020, 08:23 AM
Another fine traditional muzzleloader video from Denny Ducet ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjQKIjJz8D8

mazo kid
02-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Nice video! I recognize one of the shooters, wearing a distinctive cap.

LAGS
02-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Thank you.
Makes me want to try another Flinter

Beerd
02-10-2020, 10:49 PM
real men still blow down the barrel after a shot.
old habits are hard to break.

Beerd
02-10-2020, 10:50 PM
Nice video! I recognize one of the shooters, wearing a distinctive cap.

that sure narrows it down to about everyone :kidding:

indian joe
02-10-2020, 11:05 PM

I got chastized severely for that at a match in Queensland - first and last warning the RO said -

We talked about it later - he sez "its not about safety as such - but what if someone that feeds the leftwing press takes a picture of it and puts your head and shoulders on the front page of a city rag ? headlined "shooter prevented from committing suicide by quick acting journalist" - he said it would be ok to use a blow tube - hafta admit its a better look - and that powder residue off the muzzle dont taste real nice either.

indian joe
02-10-2020, 11:08 PM
Thank you.
Makes me want to try another Flinter

yeah thanks RFD for posting -- made me drool some -- have not had my flinter out for months...............

rfd
02-11-2020, 07:33 AM

particularly if old habits make safety sense.

junkbug
02-11-2020, 08:52 AM
I have been trying to talk myself into buying a Dixie Gunworks Jaegar in .54 flintlock. Not inexpensive. But it looks like a versatile rifle.

toot
02-11-2020, 09:11 AM
i'm sure that every one who saw the video picked up on the guy blowing down the barrel. so stupid, it will get you throwed out of most gun clubs! and i be leave rite full so. just DARWIN'S THEORY in practice. jmho.

waksupi
02-11-2020, 11:37 AM
i'm sure that every one who saw the video picked up on the guy blowing down the barrel. so stupid, it will get you throwed out of most gun clubs! and i be leave rite full so. just DARWIN'S THEORY in practice. jmho.

That's a "Back East" thing. Pretty much every shooter here blows down the barrel. That no-blow crap from the NMLRA developed from one of their lawyers making rules about things he didn't know about. I've never seen a documented case of a discharge doing injury, although it may have happened. Just like any other firearm related incident. I personally can tell when a rifle has been fired. They make noise and lotsa smoke. If you don't like it, stay in the east.

a danl
02-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Another fine traditional muzzleloader video from Denny Ducet ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjQKIjJz8D8

great video, makes me wanna be part of the fun.

RoyEllis
02-11-2020, 02:18 PM
That's a "Back East" thing. Pretty much every shooter here blows down the barrel. That no-blow crap from the NMLRA developed from one of their lawyers making rules about things he didn't know about. I've never seen a documented case of a discharge doing injury, although it may have happened. Just like any other firearm related incident. I personally can tell when a rifle has been fired. They make noise and lotsa smoke. If you don't like it, stay in the east.

+1000... was taught to do that as a young boy over 50yrs ago, still do it & haven't seen or heard of a single bad incident from the practice.

TCLouis
02-11-2020, 02:34 PM
Aye, there be quite a collection of distinctive hats!

Beerd
02-11-2020, 04:02 PM
+1000... was taught to do that as a young boy over 50yrs ago, still do it & haven't seen or heard of a single bad incident from the practice.

Well, I did chip a front tooth one time during a "cut the stake" shoot.

pietro
02-11-2020, 05:11 PM
particularly if old habits make safety sense.

I dunno 'bout safety, but I do know that the moisture in a shooter's breath helps keep fouling soft, and a hearty puff will help clear the firing channel (along with a pick :roll: ).

I DO miss my rocklock (an A&H Mountain Rifle), though - but I didn't miss it's weight enough to keep it. :bigsmyl2:

rfd
02-12-2020, 05:49 PM
"why do this blowing down the barrel, are you insane?!?!?!?"

"blowing down the barrel" is the CORRECT thing to do, and done IMMEDIATELY after discharging the gun barrel yer about blow into.

the safety reason is to make sure there are no embers left down the tube after a shot is taken. don't think that can happen? well it sure enuf happened to a very well known gun writer, who wrote about his experience in muzzleloader magazine a year or so ago. he began to pour down a measured bp charge into the barrel and an ember down in the chamber area lit the charge up like a roman candle. he was hurt, but extremely lucky that no serious harm was done. a very scary experience, for sure.

the other reason for barrel blowing was previously posted in this thread - it's fouling control, keeping the bp residue soft for either a reload, or to prepare to secure the gun for some period of time before proper final cleaning can be administered.

here, "back east", almost ALL public ranges and club held trad muzzy events will have NMLRA hooks into them, one way or another, so barrel blowing is not allowed and will be grounds for dismissal from the event and/or range. yeah, thank you NMLRA for that stupidity. its like ric sez, it's a litigious thing and a way to safeguard stupid people at the expense of smart people, and another reason i dislike the NMLRA. at my club's events and matches we get around that nonsense by using a neoprene blow tube, about a foot long. when at a private range, or out in the woods, i blow away right down the tube, a free man, as God intended, amen. did i mention that i dislike the NMLRA? good.

bwana bob's rant about blowing down the barrel (http://bwanabob.info/page2.html)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

freedom475
02-12-2020, 06:55 PM
As long is it is your "own" head(!) your pointing your rifle at...I'm in the camp that thinks a free American should do things "the way he sees fit".

Sure wouldn't want to be standing around the guy that explodes his horn as he fills his measure with his horn at the muzzle like so many do. Only to find out he didn't blow down his barrel!!

But on the other side of the coin. I once watched an elderly man, on a woods walk, have a "Pan-Flash" with no boom. Because of his habit of doing so, he lowered his rifle from his shoulder and immediately shoved his still loaded flinter into his mouth!!

That would have been a pretty graphic display for those of us standing beside our friend, if it would have scattered his mind all over our buckskins... Who says you can teach an old dog new tricks!

rfd
02-12-2020, 07:13 PM
As long is it is your "own" head(!) your pointing your rifle at...I'm in the camp that thinks a free American should do things "the way he sees fit".

Sure wouldn't want to be standing around the guy that explodes his horn as he fills his measure with his horn at the muzzle like so many do. Only to find out he didn't blow down his barrel!!

amen to that. this is how and why the ancients learned about their firearms through much trial and disastrous error, and why specific safe practices have been handed down over the centuries. now we "learn" by today's rule makers that the old ways were bad, wrong, harmful, horribly unsafe, and so in this politically and socially correct society rules are created to "protect" everyone from themselves. nah, it's not that at all. if you dig a little deeper, their last reason for such rules have nothing to do with "protecting society".

But on the other side of the coin. I once watched an elderly man, on a woods walk, have a "Pan-Flash" with no boom. Because of his habit of doing so, he lowered his rifle from his shoulder and immediately shoved his still loaded flinter into his mouth!!

blowing down the tube after a pan flash is dumb on many levels. period. you ONLY blow down after a complete discharge, as has been done for centuries. well, except the tail end of the last century and this one we're currently in. let dumb people screw up, it's how the species gets better through natural selection.

That would have been a pretty graphic display for those of us standing beside our friend, if it would have scattered his mind all over our buckskins... Who says you can teach an old dog new tricks!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RU shooter
02-13-2020, 09:43 AM
Looks like a great time ! Wish it would snow here this year . The few trail walks we have here I don't do too well as I'm color blind and can only see about half the targets because there's no contrast even though most plates are painted red they still get lost in the green/brown back ground of the woods .

waksupi
02-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Looks like a great time ! Wish it would snow here this year . The few trail walks we have here I don't do too well as I'm color blind and can only see about half the targets because there's no contrast even though most plates are painted red they still get lost in the green/brown back ground of the woods .

This is a tough range, as most of the targets are white, from our fall rendezvous.

waksupi
02-13-2020, 12:55 PM
"why do this blowing down the barrel, are you insane?!?!?!?"

"blowing down the barrel" is the CORRECT thing to do, and done IMMEDIATELY after discharging the gun barrel yer about blow into.

the safety reason is to make sure there are no embers left down the tube after a shot is taken. don't think that can happen? well it sure enuf happened to a very well known gun writer, who wrote about his experience in muzzleloader magazine a year or so ago. he began to pour down a measured bp charge into the barrel and an ember down in the chamber area lit the charge up like a roman candle. he was hurt, but extremely lucky that no serious harm was done. a very scary experience, for sure.

the other reason for barrel blowing was previously posted in this thread - it's fouling control, keeping the bp residue soft for either a reload, or to prepare to secure the gun for some period of time before proper final cleaning can be administered.

here, "back east", almost ALL public ranges and club held trad muzzy events will have NMLRA hooks into them, one way or another, so barrel blowing is not allowed and will be grounds for dismissal from the event and/or range. yeah, thank you NMLRA for that stupidity. its like ric sez, it's a litigious thing and a way to safeguard stupid people at the expense of smart people, and another reason i dislike the NMLRA. at my club's events and matches we get around that nonsense by using a neoprene blow tube, about a foot long. when at a private range, or out in the woods, i blow away right down the tube, a free man, as God intended, amen. did i mention that i dislike the NMLRA? good.

bwana bob's rant about blowing down the barrel (http://bwanabob.info/page2.html)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I was somewhat involved in the case when the westerns split all relationship with NMLRA. I have zero use for them.

mazo kid
02-13-2020, 02:09 PM
I was referring to Mike Nesbitt's billed leather cap.

Eddie Southgate
02-13-2020, 04:34 PM
Reckon that bunch of old guy's kidnapped that good looking dark headed honey ? She's the best looking Muzzle loading accessory I ever saw .

Good Cheer
02-13-2020, 07:31 PM
The gas blast into battleship guns' chambers was done for gun reason, as was the wet mop down a muzzleloading cannons' barrel.

waksupi
02-14-2020, 11:43 AM
I was referring to Mike Nesbitt's billed leather cap.

Better get your eyes checked, he wasn't there. He's kinda persona non gratis in this area.

waksupi
02-14-2020, 11:56 AM
Reckon that bunch of old guy's kidnapped that good looking dark headed honey ? She's the best looking Muzzle loading accessory I ever saw .

That's Denny Ducet's wife. She did the majority of the video work, and all of the editing.

fast ronnie
02-14-2020, 12:55 PM
Looks to me like those guys were enjoying themselves!!!

Captain*Kirk
02-14-2020, 12:55 PM
Thanks for posting, really enjoyed it!

oldracer
02-14-2020, 02:19 PM
For us folks down in Southern CA where we do have matches but have people quit when the temp gets down to the 45 degree range where we think we are going to freeze! Anyways, thanks for the video, I have down loaded all of them and links several together to make longer movies. Watch them at night on the Roku attached USB drive when the UFO guys are not on.

Would it be possible to list who the shooters since I figure some are famous or really famous but not having names put to the faces is hard.
Thanks for the great video work,
John (the old racer)

BHill
02-15-2020, 12:24 AM
Better get your eyes checked, he wasn't there. He's kinda persona non gratis in this area.
That kind of presents more questions than it answered. I doubt the remaining answers are allowed on the forum though. Enjoyed the video.

rfd
02-15-2020, 07:32 AM
not muzzleloading, but more of the ducets ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL2My6JGmLc

Edward
02-15-2020, 07:47 AM
Beautiful scenery and the (guns are nice too) !

sharps4590
02-15-2020, 08:46 AM
I stopped shooting matches, sanctioned or otherwise, about the time the "don't blow down your barrel" nonsense started. Glad I did because I'm not going to stop. If you're too stupid to know whether or not a muzzleloader is unloaded, maybe you're too stupid to be shooting one.

wapiti22
02-15-2020, 07:21 PM
A really cool video -- bunch of guys having fun in the woods!!!

KCSO
02-15-2020, 07:33 PM
When I first started muzzleloading I got instructions from My Grandfather who shot them in the 1920's. When you fire your shot blow down the tube to keep the fouling soft and make sure your nipple is free. Now I catch hell from some guys who say don't do that and THEN have me make them a BLOW TUBE for their 45-70!

I am somewhat sorry to see that your club is about like ours, mostly old guys. The average age in our club is 67. Its a shame we are not getting the young folks in in any numbers.

Mostly here due to inlines and hunting rules.

waksupi
02-16-2020, 12:52 PM
For us folks down in Southern CA where we do have matches but have people quit when the temp gets down to the 45 degree range where we think we are going to freeze! Anyways, thanks for the video, I have down loaded all of them and links several together to make longer movies. Watch them at night on the Roku attached USB drive when the UFO guys are not on.

Would it be possible to list who the shooters since I figure some are famous or really famous but not having names put to the faces is hard.
Thanks for the great video work,
John (the old racer)

I promise, none of us are famous!

RFD, that video is from my old elk hunting territory.

rfd
02-16-2020, 12:54 PM
...RFD, that video is from my old elk hunting territory.

"splendor" doesn't do that land justice - just fabulous country.

DGV
02-22-2020, 05:31 PM
Where do I sign up