PDA

View Full Version : Why cut down a seating die?

Elroy
02-09-2020, 11:41 AM
I only load for 1 belted magnum(7mmRemMag),and I bought my dies used,They are an old set of RCBS,and are in great shape,and seen to have been taken care of,except for the fact that the seating die has been shortened some.I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that it is for a belted case,but can't figure out why..I wonder if some of you may know the reason..Thanks

ReloaderFred
02-09-2020, 12:25 PM
They were probably trying to size the case as close to the belt as possible. Someone makes (or made) a die for that specific purpose.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Elroy
02-09-2020, 12:51 PM
They were probably trying to size the case as close to the belt as possible. Someone makes (or made) a die for that specific purpose.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Thanks Fred,It does make some sense to work on the sizing die,but I can't figure out why the seating die would need cut down.256382

jsizemore
02-09-2020, 12:57 PM
If they full length resized, and had a bullet with a cannelure they wanted to crimp into, it may have been a bit long to get it in the short opening of their press.
You know how it is trying to slip a bullet up into the die and then set it on the mouth of the case with 7 mag. If they were trying to seat and crimp at the same time it would be a real pain. And I have run into brass with large belts.
Keep in mind that 7 mag goes in lever and autoloaders. The brass gets worked FAST when you full length resize every time.

ReloaderFred
02-09-2020, 01:31 PM
Thanks Fred,It does make some sense to work on the sizing die,but I can't figure out why the seating die would need cut down.256382

Ah, somehow I misread and thought it was the sizing die. Perhaps it was a crimping issue, especially if they had trimmed their brass shorter than normal, like for a chamber that needed shorter neck length.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Elroy
02-09-2020, 01:36 PM
Thanks Guys.

Bazoo
02-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Heck, using the lee hand press and seating 30-06 I have to ease the bullet tip in the seating die if I'm crimping. If there is a cannelure I generally seat to it and crimp.