PDA

View Full Version : Mold to Feed a TC White Mountain Carbine and a TC Encore

spur0701
11-15-2008, 09:49 PM
A buddy picked up a never fired TC White Mountain Carbine in .50 today for $100 at a show in Richmond. He stopped at Basspro on the way home and was complaining about the cost of bullets and has asked me to cast something.....he'll pay for the mold. He wants to use it for deer during the rest of the season and maybe plinking after that.

I've got a 209X50 barrel on a TC Encore that I use during deer season. I use 250 g Branes expanders in a plastic sabot in it and have been very happy with the accuracy and range.

If I could I wanted to cast something I could use in both. I did some searches but am suffering from some false positive hits coupled with information overload.

I was thinking about a Lee Mini or REAL, lubed with LLA, and rolled in mica. Any recommendations and/or lessons learned would be appreciated.

mikenbarb
11-16-2008, 01:19 AM
I use a Maxi-Ball and both size R.E.A.L. molds. I use bore butter and it works fine but a little messy. I have also used liquid ALOX with decent results but the bore butter is better for cleaning after lots of shooting. Im going to be switching to NASA lube because its supposed to be the best for muzzleloader boolits and you should check it out and just search NASA lube and read about it. If I had to make a choice of the three I would choose the Maxi-Ball mold because they shoot great and have been around a real long time for a good reason. Plus they knock deer off their feet with pure lead and a hollow point put in them. I take a fat tapered centerpunch and make about a 3/16" deep hollow point and it works great and helps with expansion. I have also seen guys put a BB in the mold tip before casting them and then remove it when its cooled. I would say to try them all before you dedicate buying a mold for one because one may shoot alot better than the other.