PDA

View Full Version : Finding sources for lead

Omega47
11-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I just got my first casting pot this week - purchased from a gent off another handload site. Now I've spent 3 days trying to find lead without luck. None of the tire or radiator stores in the area will even talk to me. They all say they have to send the stuff to an EPA recovery company or to their corporate offices. Even the local shops and junk yards won't give me the time of day. Any ideas on finding some sources?

I'm not a local and this is a fairly rural area we live in now, so that may be the problem. Ran into the same thing when I needed a tow recently . The driver goes "are you a local?". I showed him my driver license with a local address, but he goes "that don't mean nothing." and he shouted out "hey, does anyone here know this guy?". When no one anwered he goes "you ain't local" and my tow charge went from $150 to $450. People up here suck big time :???:

Anyway, I want to cast bullets to use with light loads in my .308 rifle, and for my .357s.

Thanks.

JSnover
11-15-2008, 08:33 PM
There's another thread on this board suggesting plumbers and roofers. If you don't have any luck, the swappin' n sellin' section is as good a place as any to buy lead. The members here will treat you right.

451whitworth
11-15-2008, 10:11 PM
there are tons of threads on this board about where to get ww's and i realize this is not practical for most people. i only offer this as an example of a way to aquire ww's in unlimited quantities for free and to the lengths i went to get them. after finding it harder and harder to come by ww's for free (as i refuse to pay for them) i finally got a second job a couple days a week at the local wal-mart tire lube express in 2001. i was on the inside now. i could get at least one 5 gallon bucket every two weeks and sometimes alot more. as you can imagine doing this year round for 5.5 years allows you to aquire 10 lifetimes supplies of ww's. all for working two 6 hour evening shifts a week. i never sell my supply but have traded with a plumber for pure Pb (lead pipe he salvaged from his job) a few times. when i quit in Jan. '07 they were trying to get me to stay on because i never was late or called in. but i had to tell them i acomplished what i set out to do.:lol:

RugerFan
11-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Yesterday I bought 92 lbs of wheel weights from a local recycler for .25 cents a pound.

Buckshot
11-16-2008, 12:36 AM
..............There are no rules. Being new to an area would probably complicate things too, as you mentioned. Sounds like a small town, and they can sure be suspicious of a 'new face'. But small towns have their charm, especially after people get to know you.

At the range I belong to the rangemaster knows I cast, and he's refered several people to me who came in with lead to get rid off, or for sale. Once was a guy with a 2 axle carhauler trailer with maybe 20 five gallon buckets of lino in typeset and 10-15 of those 28lb lino ingots.

Another time a couple guys in a beat to crap Ford 1 ton p/u with it's rear bumper dragging drove in the parking lot. They had 5 moderately sized modular type lead counterweights off some earth moving machine in the back. Then you simply have other shooters who know other shooters & etc. If you put up a notice on the range's bulliten board about wanting lead, who knows?

Keep your eyes and ears open, and let other shooting aquaintences know.

................Buckshot

sirgknight
11-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I too live in a very rural area. There's virtually nothing to be found locally. BUT, I can go 25 miles in any direction and locate a larger town. When I go to these other towns or cities I make it a point to locate about 5 or 6 tire dealers or car dealership service departments and ask for any wheel weights they might have. You'll be surprised what you'll find. Some of them will give the weights to you and some you'll have to buy. Another place to try is the 10-min lube centers like Shell or Quick-Lube. They service tires also. I found a 5-gallon bucket full of weights at one of those a few weeks ago. Even when you travel way out of town, stop at some of the tire centers and just ASK....a cordial, friendly greeting goes a long way. Good Luck.

Russel Nash
11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Omega47 wrote:

...People up here suck big time ....

I sure wish I knew where "here" is, so I don't move there myself, by mistake.

You can always send me a private message if you don't want to say on an open forum.

I'm just curious that's all.

bcarver
11-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Got a bucket(84 lbs) at the first place I stopped.
Tire shop of an old buddy.
I'm new to this but am going to dive in head first.
Picked up 60 more at second shop.

mikenbarb
11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
What state are you in? That would possibly help. I acquire about 400-600lbs. a week depending how busy my suppliers are. I can also get unlimited lead amounts from our local scrapyards for a great price because they dont make much on it when they wholesale it to the foundries they deal with.

Omega47
11-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Got a bucket(84 lbs) at the first place I stopped.
Tire shop of an old buddy.
I'm new to this but am going to dive in head first.

Wow. Nice haul. Good to have buddies :wink:

The best I could do up here in Cow Hampshire was find a tire shop who sold me 20lbs of wheel weights for $5. Not too bad, I guess. Turned them all into 1lb ingots over the weekend. :grin:

badgeredd
11-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Wow. Nice haul. Good to have buddies :wink:

The best I could do up here in Cow Hampshire was find a tire shop who sold me 20lbs of wheel weights for $5. Not too bad, I guess. Turned them all into 1lb ingots over the weekend. :grin:

That works out to 25 cents a pound, a fair price and I'd continue to check back and like Buckshot told me a few donuts just to be friendly won't hurt you at all. Besides you might find as I did, the little things have paid dividends and I now am getting all of the weights they have at a very good price. Patience and perseverance will pay you back, guaranteed!!!!!

Edd

Omega47
11-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Very true. Now the next question, is being new to small town tire shops, how often do you check back? Is once a month too often, or should it be like every week or two??

454PB
11-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Very true. Now the next question, is being new to small town tire shops, how often do you check back? Is once a month too often, or should it be like every week or two??

The more you nag, the more you bag[smilie=l: