PDA

View Full Version : Is there fishing in Heaven

dtknowles
02-07-2020, 10:46 PM
A member of this forum told me that if I wised up I might be able to go fishing with him in Heaven.

I don't believe there is any fishing in Heaven.

What do you think? Fishing in Heaven? What will we do in the afterlife?

Tim

Beagle333
02-07-2020, 10:50 PM
I sure hope there's fishin.

Winger Ed.
02-07-2020, 10:54 PM
I hope so.
What would be so great about Heaven if ya couldn't go fishing and be with your dog.

Tom W.
02-08-2020, 12:19 AM
There's a river of life flowing from the throne of God. Gotta be fish in it. Many years ago I fantasized about catching huge trout and bass from that river, and each time was a new experience! Never got tired, never got bored. Never broke one off, all catch and release,..

unclemikeinct
02-08-2020, 12:36 AM
I hope so.
What would be so great about Heaven if ya couldn't go fishing and be with your dog.

God Bless you Ed. from me & Mr. "Radar" Wonderdog

mozeppa
02-08-2020, 01:32 AM
we'll be doing things you can't wrap yer mind around!

roadie
02-08-2020, 01:48 AM
Well, if you believe in an afterlife, and a Heaven in that afterlife.......it shouldn't be much of a stretch to believe in fishing in Heaven.

If you believe.

Traffer
02-08-2020, 02:24 AM
You know what they say about paradise... "A river runs through it"...

https://youtu.be/9WHdEZbIRpc

GhostHawk
02-08-2020, 08:43 AM
After my grandfather passed (my first fishing buddy) I had a very vivid dream about him one night.

He was sitting on a small hill, under a tree, which overlooked a nice stream.

He was bending light in different colors into a lure. If you can imagine tieing a fly on a hook with no point or barb.

Once he was satisfied he cast it out. A big trout rose, took it, and whole creation evaporated.
The trout sheepishly sunk back down, grandpa had a huge smile on his face. He'd fooled that ol trout that time.

True or not who can say, but it sounds close enough to heaven for me.

Skipper
02-08-2020, 09:02 AM
A member of this forum told me that if I wised up I might be able to go fishing with him in Heaven.

Tim

Pretty simple...how could it be Heaven without fishing?

1hole
02-08-2020, 12:14 PM
You guys think of whimsical fishin' in heaven same as me. I'm even looking forward to scuba diving (with no clumsy tank!) so I can swim WITH the fishes in the River of Life! I LIKE the idea of fishing for six Saturdays in a row and one glorious Sunday of study, worship and singing every week!

Of course none off us know if anything in the afterlife will be the way we now hope. But we do know we will be back on Earth and we know we'll have physical bodies so it IS interesting to think of delight filled lives fishin' and other delights with the people (and pets?) we love in God's heaven isn't it?

(The existence of this thread proves some folk have so little sense of humor (and happiness) that whimsical fun thoughts fly right over their head. :))

[Skipper, are you a hard hat diver?]

Traffer
02-08-2020, 12:43 PM
You guys think of whimsical fishin' in heaven same as me. I'm even looking forward to scuba diving (with no clumsy tank!) so I can swim WITH the fishes in the River of Life! I LIKE the idea of fishing for six Saturdays in a row and one glorious Sunday of study, worship and singing every week!

Of course none off us know if anything in the afterlife will be the way we now hope. But we do know we will be back on Earth and we know we'll have physical bodies so it IS interesting to think of delight filled lives fishin' and other delights with the people (and pets?) we love in God's heaven isn't it?

(The existence of this thread proves some folk have so little sense of humor (and happiness) that whimsical fun thoughts fly right over their head. :))

Yes to the scuba diving without a tank. I think that we will be able to travel through the universe without having to breath. Plenty of fun things to do. But none of it matters to me. All that matters to me is that I will get to be with God. I believe that the goal of human life is to know God.

richhodg66
02-08-2020, 12:57 PM
Reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where the old hillbilly died while unsuccessfully trying to save his dog and they both walked the road to heaven. He gets to one gate with a smooth talking gatekeeper who says he can't bring the dog in as there is no coon hunting and the old man refuses to enter because of it, then he finds the real gate where the keeper pets the dog and welcomes them both in.

pertnear
02-08-2020, 01:13 PM

Tim

Silly question. Of course there is fishin' in heaven! Lottsa 10+lb bass swimmin' around that like top-water baits too! HIS reels never get backlashes either. I don't know for sure, but me thinks bass boats are outlawed though (?)

Skipper
02-08-2020, 02:57 PM

Firefighter for 34 years. On my days off, I did deep water salvage.

1hole
02-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Firefighting - WAY off topic but ....

Oh boy ... you guys are crazy! I took one day of fire training. I could deal with them live flames over my head okay but hitting the ceiling with fog instantly drove fire down to me lying flat on the floor; HOT! That was enough fire fighting for me.

I did sport diving, instruction (PADI/YMCA) and a little shallow commercial day jobs plus some body recovery for a local rescue squad (found two) for some 20 years. Then, 1980, I got T-boned by a truck load of pipe and got so much lung damage the diving M.D.s at Duke University Hospital said I better give it up ....

But, I still have a functioning U.S.N. Mk II suit in excellent condition (I think that's what it is - ?) hard hat/breast plate, brass sole shoes, suit and pig-tail. It all came from the Navy's Charleston S.C. salvage yard in '73. It's been buried in a storage locker for some 20 years but it still had good rubber last time I looked! I'm 80 now and want to sell it before I croak, do you know anyone that might be interested? Or know what it might be worth?

Skipper
02-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Real mark II helmets are worth a bunch to collectors. I used to use a Superlite 17.
Check with these guys...they buy, sell and consign helmets.

https://www.oldhelmet.com/us-navy-mark-v-helmets

a danl
02-08-2020, 04:38 PM
how about thinking of Jesus, the one who died so you could be there in the first place. i do believe there will be vineyards because Jesus said he would not drink again of the cup (wine) until we drink it again with him in the kingdom.

Don Purcell
02-08-2020, 08:48 PM
The other Twilight Zone had the criminal get shot and killed. He wakes up in what looks like heaven with Sebastion Cabot showing him around and providing for him. He was set up in an elegant apartment with beautiful women all wanting to be with him, playing pool and always making the impossible shots. After awhile he is bored out of his skull and complains to Cabot that he didn't think Heaven was supposed to be like this. Cabot replies "My good man whatever gave you the idea you were in Heaven?" and just laughs at him. Great series.

Shawlerbrook
02-08-2020, 08:52 PM
I remember a song about Beer in heaven. I just hope I get there to find out.

trapper9260
02-08-2020, 09:21 PM
Reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where the old hillbilly died while unsuccessfully trying to save his dog and they both walked the road to heaven. He gets to one gate with a smooth talking gatekeeper who says he can't bring the dog in as there is no coon hunting and the old man refuses to enter because of it, then he finds the real gate where the keeper pets the dog and welcomes them both in.

Yes that one was call The Hunt .

Markopolo
02-08-2020, 09:49 PM
Jesus knew something about fisherman.. being a fisher of men..

i would say there is a great run of wild steelhead waiting in that river. on earth as it is in heaven.

Walks
02-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Yep,
All the good things are THERE.

Fish that hit on the first cast.
Five cent Thrifty ice cream cones, and Hershey bars.
Grandma's Molasses bars and ice-cold milk right out of the bottle delivered that morning by the Adour Milkman.

Three Duck triples every time they come in to the decoys.

Every time you open the mold, perfect bullets drop out, sized & lubed. And the pot never runs dry, and the sprues mysteriously jump back into the pot.

You wife serves up whatever dinner you want without having to ask. And Never yells.

The buck drops dead at the first shot. And you never have to worry about contamination from deer hair when gutting/skinning out.

All your Dogs are there.

Your Mom & Dad, whole family is there. And nobody yells.

Heaven is just Heaven.

JimB..
02-09-2020, 12:26 AM
So thinking about this, will there be benchrest or bullseye shooting? Will everyone shoot one hole groups at infinite distance? For that matter, any sport? Everyone throws a perfect game when bowling, dancers, figure skaters and gymnasts all have perfect strength and form. Can there be any competition in heaven?

dtknowles
02-09-2020, 01:55 AM
Finely a philosophical response instead of jokes.

Tim

Rizzo
02-09-2020, 01:21 PM
It's interesting to read the different views of how heaven is perceived.
I have wondered this myself.

My view is that we are currently living in a material world and our activities are related to the material desires that we have.
Such as trying to catch that big lunker fish, or trophy buck or getting that new Harley Davidson or Corvette, making a billion dollars, etc., etc.

The afterlife resides in the Spiritual Realm.
It's not a material place but is a place where "thought" is how things get manifested.
I do believe that you will "see" your past relatives and friends that have made it there.
It is a place where one is in everlasting Spiritual Bliss and has a knowledge of our Oneness with all things.
There really isn't any desire to have that Corvette, etc. anymore.
The Buddha had a saying..."..The root of all suffering is desire..."
(BTW,I am not a Buddhist)

Those desires are what keep us in this Material World.
The unfulfilled desires that we may have pretty much need to get negated out before we "advance".
Being back home with God is the desire we should all have.

It's hard for me to really comprehend everlasting Spiritual Bliss but then it is also hard to understand the nature of God as being "Always was and always will be."

Fishing in Heaven?
I doubt it.

Good thread, btw.

Don Purcell
02-09-2020, 05:42 PM
So thinking about this, will there be benchrest or bullseye shooting? Will everyone shoot one hole groups at infinite distance? For that matter, any sport? Everyone throws a perfect game when bowling, dancers, figure skaters and gymnasts all have perfect strength and form. Can there be any competition in heaven?

See my post on the first page about the Twilight Zone episode with the criminal that dies and goes to his reward.

Squeeze
02-09-2020, 05:53 PM
My father is there. If they did not have fishing before, There surely is now.

dverna
02-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Been told there are no dogs in heaven. Really sad as I love them more than most people even though I am allergic to them....dogs I mean.

I think heaven is going to be boring once we get over meeting God and all the people we always wanted to know. Maybe like an eternal bible study?

The Bible is silent on what we wind up doing for eternity except for being with God. But eternity is such a long time....I cannot even imagine it. I hope God is as much fun as a puppy.

Not interested in fishing for eternity....or ever again for that matter. Shooting 100 straights would be just as boring but it would be nice not having to reload again. On the other hand, reloading might be a way to keep from going crazy with boredom.

If Hell wasn’t so damn hot, and uncomfortable, but they had dogs there, I might choose that venue for as long as it lasts.

Forgive this sinner God for my wandering thoughts. If you think me worthy to be with you, please don’t make me fish.

elmacgyver0
02-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Where ever they send dogs, that's where I want to go.

Walks
02-09-2020, 06:51 PM
Heaven is going to a Wonderful Place.

What ever is Wonderful for You, that's Your Heaven.

JimB..
02-09-2020, 09:49 PM
See my post on the first page about the Twilight Zone episode with the criminal that dies and goes to his reward.

I remember that one, and tonight it reminds me of a joke about hell.

Guy dies, is judge and found wanting, he is cast to hell. While he approaches the gates with great trepidation, he is greeted by a surprising pleasant demon. The demon tells him that he gets to choose one of three places to spend eternity, and the man thinks it could be worse. They go to a wall with three doors and the demon opens the first door.
In the first room there are millions of souls, it is silent and everyone is standing on their heads on a hardwood floor. The man thinks that this would really hurt after a while and would be unbearable for eternity.
In the second room there are tens of millions of souls, it is silent and everyone is standing on their heads on a carpeted floor, the man thinks this would be only slightly better.
As the demon opens the third door the man is overcome by the sound of a billion conversations and the smell of excrement. He looks into the room and billions of souls are walking around knee deep in excrement, talking and drinking coffee.
The man decides that the noise is better than the silence in the other rooms, and that you’d get used to the smell and being covered in crap from head to toe, so he tells the demon that he’ll stay.
He wades in, finds a cup of coffee and discovers that he does get used to the smell. A short while later a voice booms from an unseen location “everyone, shutup and get back on your heads, coffee break is over.”

44MAG#1
02-12-2020, 11:32 PM
My question is why would any earthly escapes need to be in Heaven when Heaven is perfection and with perfection is an eternal perfect happiness free from ALL sorry, troubles and trials we have in this earthly life that we escape from by doing things that take our minds off of them hence happiness through escapism? Even fishing, hunting, golfing, eating, or anything anyone can name is not perfect happiness as there is nothing perfect in this life so why would something not perfect be allowed in Heaven. The answer it isn't allowed. We will escape our finite minds in Heaven as we are made perfect before entering Heaven. God perfect is different than mans perfect and thank God for that.
That is the reason God made Heaven not man. If man had made it, it would be screwed up like earth is. So what would be the fun in that?

44MAG#1
02-12-2020, 11:33 PM
My question is why would any earthly escapes need to be in Heaven when Heaven is perfection and with perfection is an eternal perfect happiness free from ALL sorry, troubles and trials we have in this earthly life that we escape from by doing things that take our minds off of them hence happiness through escapism? Even fishing, hunting, golfing, eating, or anything anyone can name is not perfect happiness as there is nothing perfect in this life so why would something not perfect be allowed in Heaven. The answer is it isn't allowed. We will escape our finite minds in Heaven as we are made perfect before entering Heaven. God perfect is different than mans perfect and thank God for that.
That is the reason God made Heaven not man. If man had made it, it would be screwed up like earth is. So what would be the fun in that?

1hole
02-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Been told there are no dogs in heaven.

Yeah, I've often been told that too, quite emphatically. That, along with other stuff the speakers have no way to support; meaning they're probably wrong.

Sometimes it gets funny when some folk insist on telling about things they really know nothing of! Truth is, we don't need to know that so we're not told. But, we ARE told there will be "horses" in heaven and I see no valid reason to insist it will be limited to horses.

A lot of Christians have come to believe the eternal heaven will be a gauzy, nebulous, purely spiritual place; if the Bible is correct that image isn't even close to being true. Instead, we'll have a restored (physically resurrected) New Earth - or Eden - where resurrected humans will live in company with Jesus forever. God - Jesus - put animals, fish, vegetation and mankind, etc., on Earth and he called each of them "good". It's illogical for any of us to jump up now and announce there will be no animals, fish, vegetation in that restored earthly existence! I won't guess if we will have resurrected pets in heaven but I will guess there will be no shortage of creatures of all types. So, If I'm right about this, I'll finally be going fishing again! ;)

dverna
02-13-2020, 01:02 PM
Hope you are right 1hole. If I get there, I will not be allergic to dogs.

1hole
02-13-2020, 04:29 PM
hope you are right 1hole. If i get there, i will not be allergic to dogs.

roger that!!! :)

gwpercle
02-13-2020, 05:06 PM
Oh I'm sure there will be fishing in heaven ...for those who enjoy fishing.
Just one thing...you can't ...exaggerate ... about the size of your fish !
Just the truth , the whole truth and nothing but the truth .

I was also led to believe that there will be a shooting range , reloading tools and unlimited free wheel weights . I'm taking a couple of my moulds with me !
Gary

1hole
02-13-2020, 06:05 PM
Oh I'm sure there will be fishing in heaven ...for those who enjoy fishing.
Just one thing...you can't ...exaggerate ... about the size of your fish !
Just the truth , the whole truth and nothing but the truth .
Gary

You make me grin; I do know what you're saying.

But the worst of fishermen aren't competitive with those who claim their factory .270 (et al) and 4-12X Leupold hunting scope shoots hunting bullets in "1/2 MOA groups all day!" ;)

Battis
02-13-2020, 06:29 PM
If heaven is heaven, why would you need to fish?

dtknowles
02-13-2020, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I've often been told that too, quite emphatically. That, along with other stuff the speakers have no way to support; meaning they're probably wrong.

Sometimes it gets funny when some folk insist on telling about things they really know nothing of! Truth is, we don't need to know that so we're not told. But, we ARE told there will be "horses" in heaven and I see no valid reason to insist it will be limited to horses.

A lot of Christians have come to believe the eternal heaven will be a gauzy, nebulous, purely spiritual place; if the Bible is correct that image isn't even close to being true. Instead, we'll have a restored (physically resurrected) New Earth - or Eden - where resurrected humans will live in company with Jesus forever. God - Jesus - put animals, fish, vegetation and mankind, etc., on Earth and he called each of them "good". It's illogical for any of us to jump up now and announce there will be no animals, fish, vegetation in that restored earthly existence! I won't guess if we will have resurrected pets in heaven but I will guess there will be no shortage of creatures of all types. So, If I'm right about this, I'll finally be going fishing again! ;)

If that is the case and I will not say it isn't. What do the saved do in the mean time. Some people have already been waiting for 2000 years for the Earth to be resurrected and while some think the time is near, it could be another 2000 years or more before that comes to pass. What have the saved to do in the mean time?

Tim

Cheeto303
02-14-2020, 01:25 AM
I don't know. What I do know is that Jesus did his fishing down here. I sure pray there's deer hunting though.

Ickisrulz
02-14-2020, 08:52 AM
The Bible's descriptions of both Heaven and Hell are highly symbolic and should not be taken literally. The original audience certainly would not have. The ideas conveyed are that the redeemed will be with God and the unsaved will be punished and then destroyed.

One of the only things that pertains to our lives in Heaven that can be taken at face value (per Jesus) is that humans will not be married. There is also the new body we will receive, but the Bible doesn't go into explicit detail on its attributes.

I don't suspect that our existence will be without challenges, work or opportunities. If we didn't have those, we'd get bored. I highly doubt Heaven will be one eternal church service as some suggest. At least that is not my idea of paradise!

dverna
02-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Interesting take Icki. I have been lucky to have jobs that were not "work", as many define it. I enjoyed most of mine. Work in heaven could well be doing something we enjoy and then it is not "work".

Many of you love to cast, and I hate it. Some love to reload, but me not so much. You guys can cast away and reload; and I can shoot!!

But seriously, I wonder if God will use us to intercede in the lives of those on earth (or other planets) to help Him do His works? I guess that is a foolish notion for those who believe God is all powerful and omniscient...He does not need help. But what if His power is transferred to other beings and He acts more like a supervisor? It allows Him to be everywhere, at all times by proxy....the ultimate Collective...the Borg.

One of my problems, and I believe it affects many others, is trying to put our human traits on God. Anthropomorphism. We get bored and we think God gets bored too. We think He has an image (We were made in His image) but He cannot have an image...at least not as we think of the term. We have no idea of what Gods face is but He has a face....yet it may not be our concept of a face.

God IS! But do not know what He is. Heaven IS! But we do not know what it is. Our little pea brains can only frame those concepts with what our limited knowledge can envision. So yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause....and fishing in heaven...and shooting ranges....and gun free zones...and whatever we want heaven to be.

Ickisrulz
02-14-2020, 10:21 AM
Interesting take Icki. I have been lucky to have jobs that were not "work", as many define it. I enjoyed most of mine. Work in heaven could well be doing something we enjoy and then it is not "work".

Many of you love to cast, and I hate it. Some love to reload, but me not so much. You guys can cast away and reload; and I can shoot!!

But seriously, I wonder if God will use us to intercede in the lives of those on earth (or other planets) to help Him do His works? I guess that is a foolish notion for those who believe God is all powerful and omniscient...He does not need help. But what if His power is transferred to other beings and He acts more like a supervisor? It allows Him to be everywhere, at all times by proxy....the ultimate Collective...the Borg.

One of my problems, and I believe it affects many others, is trying to put our human traits on God. Anthropomorphism. We get bored and we think God gets bored too. We think He has an image (We were made in His image) but He cannot have an image...at least not as we think of the term. We have no idea of what Gods face is but He has a face....yet it may not be our concept of a face.

God IS! But do not know what He is. Heaven IS! But we do not know what it is. Our little pea brains can only frame those concepts with what our limited knowledge can envision. So yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause....and fishing in heaven...and shooting ranges....and gun free zones...and whatever we want heaven to be.

We are made in God's image in respect to the fact that God has intellect, will and emotion. We mirror that, except on a smaller scale (some animals do have these attributes, but on a limited scale). God made us in his image so we could not only understand him*, but choose to be like him. Whether or not God the Father and God the Holy Spirit have bodies is up to debate. We know that Jesus Christ has a body.

God the Father always uses an agent (e.g., the Son of God was the agent of creation and redemption, man is the agent that spreads the Gospel). Therefore, it is not a stretch to imagine some of the missions you proposed.

*To claim we cannot understand God is nonsense. God spent thousands of years revealing himself to man and those revelations are recorded in the Bible. John summed up God's personality in three words, "God is love." Love motivates everything God does. The Bible also explains God's methods. Unfortunately, many Christians overlook this and adhere to their ideas of what they'd do if they were God.

sharps4590
02-14-2020, 10:51 AM
I don't know if there will be fishing...or dogs....or shooting and everything that entails. What I DO know is that it is going to be so much better than earth and this life that I definitely don't worry about it and rarely wonder about it. God is in charge and that's all I need to know.

Dapaki
02-14-2020, 11:16 AM
Why would we have to work in heaven? No fishin for this guy, give me wheels and I'll go anywhere with you, give me a rod and I'm out!

1hole
02-14-2020, 01:04 PM
Don, some thoughts on your thoughts:

One of my problems, and I believe it affects many others, is trying to put our human traits on God. Anthropomorphism. We get bored and we think God gets bored too. We think He has an image (We were made in His image) but He cannot have an image...at least not as we think of the term.

I believe you're absolutely correct so far as the spiritual, not physical, nature of our triune God, including Jesus, the Son of God. But .... Jesus, the son of man, had (and still has) a physical body; in fact He was the "first born of all creation" (Col 1:15-19). Meaning, in the Mind of God, His human body was a created existence at that moment so far as God was concerned. Jesus was by no means the "first born man" in the literal sense at that time but I believe all humanity is made in the image of what would be his body, soul and spirit.

I don't KNOW any of that as a fact of course but, IF I'm right, it will be Lord Jesus, the son of man (that's what he always called himself and I think it's significant) that we will see face to face.

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

1hole
02-14-2020, 01:45 PM
One of the only things that pertains to our lives in Heaven that can be taken at face value (per Jesus) is that humans will not be married.

That's the common idea for that verse but that's NOT what it says. I mean, it simply says people will not be getting married. But, other than stretches of personal interpretation, that verse does not say those of us who are truly married, truly heart bounded as if one flesh, will not continue to be married in the after life.

There is also the new body we will receive, but the Bible doesn't go into explicit detail on its attributes.

Yeah. As my old pastor's wife says, "Surely we won't be doing THAT in heaven!", as if sex is dirty on its face. I say, "Not so, it is man who puts that slant on the physical bond between husband and wife, not God."[/quote]

I highly doubt Heaven will be one eternal church service as some suggest.

Ditto.

In fact, I suspect the divisions of "time" will more likely be as God made it to start with; one sabbath and six non-sabbaths with lots of options for the other day's activities. Like, fishing and playing with the hordes of animals! ;)

dverna
02-14-2020, 05:00 PM
We are made in God's image in respect to the fact that God has intellect, will and emotion. We mirror that, except on a smaller scale (some animals do have these attributes, but on a limited scale). God made us in his image so we could not only understand him*, but choose to be like him. Whether or not God the Father and God the Holy Spirit have bodies is up to debate. We know that Jesus Christ has a body.

God the Father always uses an agent (e.g., the Son of God was the agent of creation and redemption, man is the agent that spreads the Gospel). Therefore, it is not a stretch to imagine some of the missions you proposed.

*To claim we cannot understand God is nonsense. God spent thousands of years revealing himself to man and those revelations are recorded in the Bible. John summed up God's personality in three words, "God is love." Love motivates everything God does. The Bible also explains God's methods. Unfortunately, many Christians overlook this and adhere to their ideas of what they'd do if they were God.

I "understand" the concept of eternity, but I really do not understand it. For example, is time eternal or just a dimension we do not understand? If it is eternal, did it have a start? In some ways, God is easier to understand. He just IS. He has shown His love for us. Unlike eternity, He has intellect, a plan and emotions that we can identify with. We cannot identify with eternity...well I should say I cannot. God is mostly just but has done or permitted some unjust things as well...like man has. A few examples...

He cursed all mankind for eternity for the sins of Adam and Eve.
He destroyed the world during the Flood...I cannot wrap my mind around every person except those on the Ark deserved death.
He killed the baby of David and Bathsheba as punishment for their sins.
He allows innocent newborns to die or even worse, suffer terrible afflictions that resulting a painful death.
etc etc

I can identify with God. I fear Him for what he can do and still does. But I cannot understand Him completely. Yet, I know he loves us.

Ickisrulz
02-14-2020, 07:05 PM
That's the common idea for that verse but that's NOT what it says. I mean, it simply says people will not be getting married. But, other than stretches of personal interpretation, that verse does not say those of us who are truly married, truly heart bounded as if one flesh, will not continue to be married in the after life.

Well, with the way you understand it, we are back to the Sadducees' question: You are married more than once and deeply love all of your wives, but they died. Who will you be married to in Heaven? Jesus' answer was, people will not get married. I don't know how you could take this any other way.

Companionship is another issue and Jesus didn't address this. Probably because it is intuitive and can be inferred from Scripture.

Ickisrulz
02-14-2020, 07:10 PM
I "understand" the concept of eternity, but I really do not understand it. For example, is time eternal or just a dimension we do not understand? If it is eternal, did it have a start? In some ways, God is easier to understand. He just IS. He has shown His love for us. Unlike eternity, He has intellect, a plan and emotions that we can identify with. We cannot identify with eternity...well I should say I cannot. God is mostly just but has done or permitted some unjust things as well...like man has. A few examples...

He cursed all mankind for eternity for the sins of Adam and Eve.
He destroyed the world during the Flood...I cannot wrap my mind around every person except those on the Ark deserved death.
He killed the baby of David and Bathsheba as punishment for their sins.
He allows innocent newborns to die or even worse, suffer terrible afflictions that resulting a painful death.
etc etc

I can identify with God. I fear Him for what he can do and still does. But I cannot understand Him completely. Yet, I know he loves us.

His methods are clear and I think you have a good understanding of them. We don't always know the why (e.g., child born with ailment), but we have faith because we know the motivation: love.

Eternity past is baffling.

1hole
02-14-2020, 08:17 PM
Well, with the way you understand it, we are back to the Sadducees' question: You are married more than once and deeply love all of your wives, but they died. Who will you be married to in Heaven?

Well, first, that story comes from an effort of the religious authorities to trap Jesus, at least in a moral sense. He out smarted them without answering their question in a specific way that they could use against him.

Jesus' answer was, people will not get married. I don't know how you could take this any other way.

But I'm not taking it in any other way. I simply recognise there's a subtle but clear and wide difference between saying married people won't still be married in heaven is by no means the same as saying that no one will be married at all and I'm not comfortable going beyond what is written.

Taking away or adding to scripture as it is written is some deep waters and there be some scary spiritual monsters in that kind of depth ... meaning cults.

Ickisrulz
02-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Well, first, that story comes from an effort of the religious authorities to trap Jesus, at least in a moral sense. He out smarted them without answering their question in a specific way that they could use against him.

But I'm not taking it in any other way. I simply recognise there's a subtle but clear and wide difference between saying married people won't still be married in heaven is by no means the same as saying that no one will be married at all and I'm not comfortable going beyond what is written.

Taking away or adding to scripture as it is written is some deep waters and there be some scary spiritual monsters in that kind of depth ... meaning cults.

The Sadducees attempted to trap Jesus over a theological issue. Sadducees did not believe in a resurrection, spirits or angles and challenged him with their question. He answered the immediate question about life after death from Exodus (one of the books the Sadducees felt was inspired). Jesus won the debate, but continued on giving us a glimpse of existence in Heaven.

If you take the passage to mean that future marriages will not take place in Heaven, but married people will still be married for eternity, we have serious problems.

The first is someone who had been married multiple times (the Bible is not pro-polygamy). The second is, what if you were not particularly fond of the specimen you married? Are you stuck forever? What if your spouse dies and you enjoy a life of solitude--are you stuck being married again? I remember saying "till death do you part", which is the biblical ideal. Finally, the individuals in the Sadducees' example were in fact already married. But Jesus answered the question by saying people will not be "given or taken in marriage" referring to the hypothetical individuals.

This touches on the same idea when people expect to get all their pets back. Some dogs I have had I was glad when they died. Eternity is an awfully long commitment to anyone other than God.

I don't feel I am adding to or taking away from this passage. I know the LDS believe along the lines you do though.

dtknowles
02-14-2020, 09:26 PM
I "understand" the concept of eternity, but I really do not understand it. For example, is time eternal or just a dimension we do not understand? If it is eternal, did it have a start?........

Time started (time as we humans know it) with the first creation. With Let there be Light. That began time, with nothing there is no time, time is the measure of change. Without change there is no time. As long as there is something and it is changing even if it is a single photon there will be time. Time might be eternal but God could end it. If God eliminated everything but God, time would cease.

Tim

1hole
02-16-2020, 06:42 PM
If you take the passage to mean that future marriages will not take place in Heaven, but married people will still be married for eternity, we have serious problems.

Maybe, but I don't think so. Let's see:

The first is someone who had been married multiple times (the Bible is not pro-polygamy). The second is, what if you were not particularly fond of the specimen you married? Are you stuck forever? What if your spouse dies and you enjoy a life of solitude--are you stuck being married again?

I surely don't know the answers to those issues but the paperwork legal thing we accept as proof of marriage is certainly not, ip so facto, a "one flesh" bonding thing that God intended, and that matters. I'm sure God has an alternate eternity plan for those who made nuptial mistakes in this life. BUT - I sure don't believe they will be finding a "heavenly true love" and getting married again in heaven. That IS contrary to scripture!

I remember saying "till death do you part", which is the biblical ideal.

I don't think the couples who actually bond to become "one flesh" will have a problem with spending eternity together. My other half and I recently marked our 60th anniversary and it seems like little more than a blink of the eye to us. She's always been my favorite Bible study partner, fishing, water skiing, SCUBA diving, bolling, hiking, gardening and ruffing it camping buddy too. (And that's all I'm going to tell you about! ;)

I really like her a lot and today, at 78 and 194 lb. she's a great-great granny lady with care worn arthritic hands and varicose veins, but she still looks like a lovely 115 lb., 17 year old girl to me! Sorry about others who feel differently.

I obviously don't know God's plan to deal with those who haven't been truly married in the Biblical sense like us. However, I doubt those who regret the secular legal agreement they once made will be compelled to stay together in heaven. But it's likely that none of them will be getting married again either!

Eternity is an awfully long commitment to anyone other than God.

Yeah, including spending eternity with God's special gifts, one of which - for me is my eternally bonded one flesh, best thing that ever happened to me - wife. That's a wonderful thing to contemplate ain't it! Eternally together in the company of Jesus - with youngish bodies, hearts and minds that won't tire, worry or hurt anymore.

I know the LDS believe along the lines you do though.

Well, "along the lines" ... okay, reluctantly, sorta. But Mormons are a religious cult, they don't agree with me (the Bible) on much in this life and virtually nothing at all about the afterlife! (For one thing, I already have all the wives I want!) My home library has copies of the LDS main books and I know a bunch of 'em personally; in fact, some are close family. All nice folk but they do have weird beliefs. Including their cult leader's totally unbiblical plan of salvation and his massively distorted view of heaven.

So, I love Mormons individually but please don't equate anything I believe with them, not even slightly. :)

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

Ickisrulz
02-16-2020, 08:38 PM
Maybe, but I don't think so. Let's see:

I surely don't know the answers to those issues but the paperwork legal thing we accept as proof of marriage is certainly not, ip so facto, a "one flesh" bonding thing that God intended, and that matters. I'm sure God has an alternate eternity plan for those who made nuptial mistakes in this life. BUT - I sure don't believe they will be finding a "heavenly true love" and getting married again in heaven. That IS contrary to scripture!

I don't think the couples who actually bond to become "one flesh" will have a problem with spending eternity together. My other half and I recently marked our 60th anniversary and it seems like little more than a blink of the eye to us. She's always been my favorite Bible study partner, fishing, water skiing, SCUBA diving, bolling, hiking, gardening and ruffing it camping buddy too. (And that's all I'm going to tell you about! ;)

I really like her a lot and today, at 78 and 194 lb. she's a great-great granny lady with care worn arthritic hands and varicose veins, but she still looks like a lovely 115 lb., 17 year old girl to me! Sorry about others who feel differently.

I obviously don't know God's plan to deal with those who haven't been truly married in the Biblical sense like us. However, I doubt those who regret the secular legal agreement they once made will be compelled to stay together in heaven. But it's likely that none of them will be getting married again either!

Yeah, including spending eternity with God's special gifts, one of which - for me is my eternally bonded one flesh, best thing that ever happened to me - wife. That's a wonderful thing to contemplate ain't it! Eternally together in the company of Jesus - with youngish bodies, hearts and minds that won't tire, worry or hurt anymore.

Well, "along the lines" ... okay, reluctantly, sorta. But Mormons are a religious cult, they don't agree with me (the Bible) on much in this life and virtually nothing at all about the afterlife! (For one thing, I already have all the wives I want!) My home library has copies of the LDS main books and I know a bunch of 'em personally; in fact, some are close family. All nice folk but they do have weird beliefs. Including their cult leader's totally unbiblical plan of salvation and his massively distorted view of heaven.

So, I love Mormons individually but please don't equate anything I believe with them, not even slightly. :)

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

I hope you can see that you have a certain amount of bias on this issue! Congratulations on a 60+ year marriage. I am only at 23 myself. I'm not sure anyone could stand spending eternity married to me.

Thundarstick
02-16-2020, 09:19 PM
Jesus the Christ said we will be like the angels of God at the resurrection. Figure out what the angels do, and you'll have a pretty good idea of heaven.

1hole
02-16-2020, 09:54 PM
I hope you can see that you have a certain amount of bias on this issue! Congratulations on a 60+ year marriage. I am only at 23 myself. I'm not sure anyone could stand spending eternity married to me.

It's not "bias", it's life experience and Bible study.

Stand by, you'll get some to!

dtknowles
02-16-2020, 11:48 PM
Jesus the Christ said we will be like the angels of God at the resurrection. Figure out what the angels do, and you'll have a pretty good idea of heaven.

It is pleasant to think so.

Tim

1hole
02-17-2020, 11:47 AM

Yeah, I've gone over that but I don't know what it means for us to be "like angels." I'm certain we won't be identical with them after the resurrection so I have wondered, in what ways and which spiritual and physical characteristics will we be like and different from the angels"?

If we are resurrected as angels we wouldn't be ourselves, scars and all, therefore we wouldn't really be resurrected like Jesus at all and that can't be true. Angels are spiritual beings, they don't appear to have physical bodies; we will. Angels don't appear to have parents, friends and others they will seek in heaven; we will. God made man "in his own image" - clearly very different from angels - in order to have a special relationship with us that's presumably much different from his relationship with angels. There are several different types of angels serving different functions and only one type of us. Therefore, I conclude that after the resurrection, however much we will overlap, we simply cannot be "like angels" in detail.

I have those questions (and others) but I do not have the answers. But I don't think being told we will be "like the angels" tells us much because we obviously won't be fully identical with heaven's angels. ???

Ickisrulz
02-17-2020, 12:05 PM
The Bible gives very little information on angels. I infer that they too were made in the "image of God" as far a intellect will and emotion are concerned. We know that they are held accountable for sinning as man is. However, angels who sinned were not redeemed*.

When Jesus said we would be like the angels, I take that to only mean that we will not be married in Heaven as the angels are not married in Heaven.

*Why did God not see fit to redeem angels? No one can say for sure. But I suspect it is because their rebellion was accomplished in the very presence of God. In other words, they had proof every day of God's existence, power and goodness, yet chose to go their own way. Mankind must accept these things about God by faith and because of this we are dealt with differently. You will notice in the Bible that after a major showing of God's power (e.g., leading the Hebrews out of Egypt/the Day of Pentecost) that God's people are held to a much higher standard and evil is swiftly removed.

Blackwater
02-17-2020, 04:10 PM
All I know is that when my father died, my first mental vision of him was him wearing some old jeans, rolled up to the knees, a nondescript short sleeve shirt, an old straw hat with the rim bindings partly gone, and some frazzeling around the edges, sitting by the Jordan River, or what I took to be the Jordan. The water was a bit muddy, but that didn't discourage Dad. He had a pole cut from some shrub or tree, about 9' long, some old black fishing line of some type, a hook, and a real cork float about 3 or 4' up from the hook. He was sitting there on the semi-wet bank, just as happy as a field lark in the summer time, contented and anticipating a good fish at any minute. Whether that was just my imagination or some sort of "message from beyond" I cannot say. All I CAN say is that it was a very satisfying image, and would be just like my Dad. And it sure did bring a smile to my face. I could never worry about him ever again. I know he's in Heaven with the Lord, and that they've worked out all the little details and fine points between them to both's perfect satisfaction. What those details are, I won't know until I get there, and thus, am ready to receive that kind of information. Speculation occupies too much time that we could spend on fruitful study and consideration, and self-analysis. That is all that I'm certain of.

marlin39a
02-17-2020, 04:33 PM
There better be fishing. Along with hunting. And my beloved dog will be there. And my Marlin 39's.

Bantou
02-27-2020, 12:04 PM
I always imagined hunting and fishing in heaven as a mutual agreement between “hunter” and “pray.”We know that there won’t be any death in heaven and that the lion will lay down with the lamb. So to me hunting in heaven has always looked something like paintball and fishing something akin to a very complicated game of tug of war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1hole
02-27-2020, 02:13 PM
Food for thought:

It's interesting that the last time we know the apostles saw the Lord they were fishing in the Galilee when they saw Him cooking a fish dinner for them on shore. He was a resurrected physical man and it makes sense that He ate the fish along with them. To cook fish demands they have been pulled from the water and that suggests He had been "fishing" and that opens the possibility we may go fishing in our resurrected bodies when we want more fish for dinner.

It's also interesting that so many people are adamant about what we WILL or WON'T do in the heaven on earth, based on nothing but "That's what I've always been told"; that's thin evidence of anything.

Iowa Fox
02-27-2020, 03:50 PM
Yes there is and the waters are pristine and unpolluted unlike everything on the face of the earth today.

a danl
03-04-2020, 09:25 PM
in heaven there will be no more sin so that means no more death, i would think that would include hunting and fishing. what will we eat? who knows , maybe manna.. remember back in the garden there was no death until the Lord killed the animal to clothe adam and eve because they had their eyes opened after they disobeyed God and sinned against Him and saw that they were naked.

popper
03-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Darn, streets of gold and no shopping malls. River but no pole/bait. Might read the descriptions of Heaven in the Scriptures, wall, gates, open areas. Wonder what for? No clocks? In reality, we have NO clue but it will be great. IMHO, if you think you will be bored I suspect you won't be there.

44MAG#1
03-08-2020, 07:07 PM
Here is probably the most intelligent post on this subject. How would you be bored so much you would have to go fishing to be happy. Doesn't make much sense does it?

Darn, streets of gold and no shopping malls. River but no pole/bait. Might read the descriptions of Heaven in the Scriptures, wall, gates, open areas. Wonder what for? No clocks? In reality, we have NO clue but it will be great. IMHO, if you think you will be bored I suspect you won't be there.

Shiloh
03-15-2020, 05:04 PM
Gotta be. Gotta be all out dogs too.

Shiloh

1hole
03-15-2020, 07:54 PM
Dogs yes but, please Lord, no indoor cats!

Newtire
07-19-2020, 01:06 AM
I hope it’s like in the John Prine song “When I Get to Heaven”.

wch
07-19-2020, 02:41 AM
I'm sure there's fishing and dogs, also sure that there will still be "the big one that got away"!

smithnframe
07-19-2020, 07:10 AM
Better yet.......is there "Heaven"?

William Yanda
07-19-2020, 07:43 AM
Doesn't matter unless you are sure that's where you are going.

GhostHawk
07-19-2020, 08:18 AM
I had a dream where I was talking to the Lord.

I was concerned. Lord, you know i can not carry a tune in a bucket. How is it going to work with me sitting at your feet singing songs of praise?

He pointed out that he made me, he knows what is inside me. And that there would be times I would be needed to fill the crowd at the throne.
Then he went on to point out that being partly of indian blood I would also have access to the Happy Hunting ground. Where the weather is nice, food is never scarse, and I could go out with my favorite horse and find a buffalo or a deer, or whatever for the pot.

Then he mentioned Bill you dabbled pretty deep in Wicca/Shamanism. And as such I would have access to those lands as well.

Then he said I suspect your going to want to be close to rainbow bridge, you have friends waiting for you there.

And I asked "Lord you can find me a piece of heaven that touches on all those. So I can move freely.

Yes William Thomas, almost all things are possible.

Well Lord I think I might enjoy heaven a whole lot more knowing this.

https://jashow.org/articles/what-will-happen-to-our-bodies-at-the-rapture/

What happens during the rapture?

The Bible teaches that the rapture is a time when Christians will receive an immortal body. An actual physical transformation is expected to take place in the rapture, where our corruptible bodies put on incorruption. According to the Apostle Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, this happens in a moment.
What will happen after the rapture?

After the rapture, Christians will stand before the throne of God to receive their rewards. White robes will be given to clothe them, and they will praise God.
What happens during the rapture? The Bible teaches that the rapture is a time when Christians will receive an immortal body. An actual physical transformation is expected to take place in the rapture, where our corruptible bodies put on incorruption. According to the Apostle Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, this happens in a moment. What will happen after the rapture? After the rapture, Christians will stand before the throne of God to receive their rewards. White robes will be given to clothe them, and they will praise God.

"Amen and amen! Every believer's body will be raised up at the Rapture and changed in a fraction of a second into an INCORRUPTIBLE body that never gets sick, never tires, never diseases, never aches nor feels pain, never sins. We will be raised up by the Spirit of God, never to suffer in physical pain again. What a wonderful day that will be, especially for those of us who suffer physical pain in our bodies in this present world!!!"

We know we will be changed at the rapture. What we do not know is how those changes will effect how we feel and act.

What I do know is that the Lord amighty will have it all figured out.

wv109323
07-20-2020, 05:07 PM
I think heaven will be much like the Garden of Eden before the fall of Eve,then Adam. Eden was God's design and I don't know why he would not go back to that perfect design. God killed the first animal to cover the sin of Adam and Eve. With no sin I do not think there will be death of animals in heaven. They will be animals to enjoy but we will be vegitarians if we eat at all.