PDA

View Full Version : Casting equipment importance!

Freightman
11-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Was casting today and it was cold in the shop had a leather jacket on and leather apron + my leather gloves, was doing good until my hand slipped and I dumped a double cavity 230 g mould full of hot lead in my lap. No harm done as the apron caught it all and kept it from burning something important. Do not get lazy take time to put your gear on, never can tell what you might save.

Just Duke
11-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Glad your OK Freightman other that not taken heed to warning might not be so lucky.
I quoted you and reposted this here sir.
Thanks

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=27984&highlight=CHEAP

Bret4207
11-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I've never been able to cast sitting down. Limits my movement too much. To each their own.

copdills
11-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I cast sitting alot , but I always have my seat cocked at an angle in case I have to jump up and do an indian dance LOL , follow casters please always try to think and even when we are standing and casting ,wear an apron or something thick to cover yourself and don't forget the face shield , we one eyed folks have to protect what we have left , no kidding lol

be safe and God Bless you all

Dale53
11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
In winter I use a flannel shirt, bib overalls, and a shop apron. In summer I change the long sleeved flannel shirt to a lighter long sleeved shirt - otherwise the same. It IS important to be sure your clothes are all-cotton (synthetics will melt when hot lead hits it leading to "napalm like effects" on your skin). I think that this is VERY important.

I also wear a cap and eye glasses - a face shield would be better.

Dale53