PDA

View Full Version : Best free photo storage site to use with Castboolits

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-01-2019, 12:17 PM
I have posted about Photobucket several times since their first extortion. I announced a 'FIX' and also announced deadlines and then their eventual reversal of their extortion. Well, Now they are at it again, limiting their free accounts to a very small MB storage or they blurr your photo's. So I had to reduce the album size ...or I could have upgraded to a pay account and that's not happening.

So, that was finally the last straw, I'm ready to switch to a different photo hosting website.
What are you using?
What do you suggest?
Any new and neat Photo Websites?

I suppose I am the last hold out trying to use Photobucket. I had a lot of photos there, that are hosted for castboolits and other websites. When they first started to try and extort, I should have left like most everyone else did, but I was reluctant to leave them, as it would be a lot of computer time to switch all my photos.

I am OK with you all jumping in and posting how smart you were by leaving Photobucket during the first Extortion, but PLEASE, before you do, be sure to include some answers to my actual questions...meaning, tell me what you now use to host photos.

====================
I'll add a bit more:
I recall Imgur being mentioned many times, Is it any faster that the sluggish photobucket when maneuvering their website?

A quick google search provided me with other options...do any of you have experience with them?
Smugmug
Flickr
Google Photos
Dropbox
Tinypic
Use
500px
free image hosting dot net
postimage
imageshack
imagevenue
imgbox

If any of you are on the same quest as me?
this website gives an overview of some of them.
https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329

454PB
10-01-2019, 12:23 PM
I moved to https://imgur.com/

MrHarmless
10-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Imgur is super fast. The UI is okay at best, in my opinion, it is extremely easy to upload and do minor edits to pictures. You can make albums, and make them public or private with the click of a button. Completely free.

It was built specifically for Reddit, which, at the time, had no real large scale, reliable hosting sites, and because it filled an empty niche, it was wildly successful and it's continued to be reliable. As a result, it's very well adapted to posting on forums.

Bazoo
10-01-2019, 02:30 PM
I use imgur and it so far has been fine. Somewhat complicated to use, but I'm not real savvy on working programs and websites.

Reverend Al
10-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Same here ... Imgur has been working just fine for me. I abandoned Photobucket when they first tried to extort us for photo hosting and have never looked back ...

Froogal
10-01-2019, 05:10 PM
I use the Google cloud for storage, but have learned that I can upload to most sites directly from my computer.

Tripplebeards
10-01-2019, 05:24 PM
I use imgur

Bookworm
10-01-2019, 08:57 PM
I also use Imgur.

Years ago I used Photobucket, but was frustrated by the massive wave of ads on that site.
After PB tried to extort everyone, I deleted everything, including my account.

I eventually went to Imgur. I find Imgur to be easy to download, but not as intuitive to use as PB was. I have trouble sorting albums, but perhaps it's just me.
Imgur makes it easy to post pics, I'll give them that.

Conditor22
10-01-2019, 09:31 PM
IMGUR for many years now and a LOT of posts

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?375622-Posting-Pictures-using-IMGUR

nun2kute
10-01-2019, 09:41 PM
I still don't want to use a photo host, already got the one i'm typing on

tinhorn97062
10-01-2019, 10:44 PM
iCloud, Dropbox, Google Photos...I don’t use any actual photos hosting websites like the Bucket or Imgr. I post photos right from my phone or laptop, and don’t pay a dime for any kind of storage.

Idaho45guy
10-03-2019, 12:59 PM
Photobucket is the devil. I used them to store hundreds of family photos. My email provider that I used to sign up went under and after I hadn't logged into PB for a while, they said they sent a link to my old email address for verification.

Of course I couldn't verify it since the company dissolved. I sent an email to PB explaining the situation and asked if they could help me out with the situation. Even offered to sign up for a paid account just so I didn't lose all of the pictures of my kids growing up.

They never responded.

Of course I had most photos backed up, but I still lost quite a few.

I now use the Amazon prime photo service. I also download pics onto a USB device every few months.

gwpercle
10-03-2019, 01:13 PM
I take a few pictures , the wife puts them on our computer in a file marked gary's guns and I can post them from the computer to here . As far as I can tell this costs me nothing .
Why don't I need the bucket of photo thing ?
Better yet , if you have a computer , why do you need "a photo hosting site" do they do anything special ?
Gary

NyFirefighter357
10-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Imgur.com
https://i.imgur.com/kw8lmpa.jpg

Idaho45guy
10-03-2019, 11:45 PM
I take a few pictures , the wife puts them on our computer in a file marked gary's guns and I can post them from the computer to here . As far as I can tell this costs me nothing .
Better yet , if you have a computer , why do you need "a photo hosting site" do they do anything special ?
Gary

Not all forums allow uploading photos. Plus, if your computer crashes, or you get a new computer then your photos are saved.

With Amazon, I take a photo with my phone, and when I get home, the phone automatically uploads the new photos to Amazon. Then I go to Amazon and download them to my computer into a folder.

I surf the web and post on forums a bunch at work, so I can use a photo hosting site to post my pics from work.

Idaho45guy
10-03-2019, 11:46 PM
Gary

Not all forums allow uploading photos. Plus, if your computer crashes, or you get a new computer then your photos are saved.

With Amazon, I take a photo with my phone, and when I get home, the phone automatically uploads the new photos to Amazon. Then I go to Amazon and download them to my computer into a folder.

I surf the web and post on forums a bunch at work, so I can use a photo hosting site to post my pics from work.

fatnhappy
10-04-2019, 12:26 PM
I'm so sick of photobucket I just deleted every single photo on their site, lest they covet any without permission before I close the account.
Frankly, I don't see how their business model is going to survive.

Red River Rick
10-04-2019, 12:30 PM
I'm so sick of photobucket I just deleted every single photo on their site, lest they covet any without permission before I close the account.
Frankly, I don't see how their business model is going to survive.

I did the exact same thing....................I hope PB goes under!

RRR

brstevns
02-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Is there a good free photo hosting site that works with castboolits. Having a heck of a time tring to get photos into post

OS OK
02-06-2020, 02:42 PM
https://imgur.com

Conditor22
02-06-2020, 03:11 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?375622-Posting-Pictures-using-IMGUR

454PB
02-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Another vote for Imgur.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Is there a good free photo hosting site that works with castboolits. Having a heck of a time tring to get photos into post

Br,
I hope you don't mind, I merged an older thread of mine into yours...and kept your title.
Jon

brstevns
02-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Br,
I hope you don't mind, I merged an older thread of mine into yours...and kept your title.
Jon

Was wondering why I already had over 20 replies

skeettx
02-07-2020, 12:47 AM
https://www.jpgbox.com/submit.html?

6bg6ga
02-07-2020, 03:38 PM
I never had a problem using the cast boolits photo upload

303Guy
02-07-2020, 06:59 PM
I've been very happy with postimage. They make me re-login after long periods (months) of inactivity. Their options for posting images covers all my needs and is easy enough to use.

flagman1776
02-07-2020, 09:12 PM
I ran a forum where the founder had used photobucket for many custom images in a separate account. I was able to retrieve what I wanted before I deleted everything. I kept getting blurbs the PB had new management, offering print deals... like I would ever trust them again. I studied business in school and how "goodwill" was an asset. PB pulled something underhanded and threw away all their goodwill. I hope they go under.
I switched to postimages https://postimages.org I'm very happy.

David2011
02-12-2020, 02:05 PM
As an IT professional and many years prior, a professional photographer I have a few rules for myself.

1. Store nothing in “the cloud” or any services outside my control.
2. Post to Castboolits and the other forums I frequent directly from my computer.
3. Back up my data frequently and on two separate hard drives. Store at least one backup in a fire safe or your safe deposit box and rotate them frequently.
4. Flash drives are only for data you don’t mind losing, i.e., short term secondary storage for transferring data.

mtnman31
02-20-2020, 03:28 PM
I use http://postimage.org. It works well for me. I don't store photos there - they are just copies and used for posting on forums. I used to use hunt101 before it closed down.

John Wayne
02-26-2020, 08:57 AM
As an IT professional and many years prior, a professional photographer I have a few rules for myself.

2. Post to Castboolits and the other forums I frequent directly from my computer.
3. Back up my data frequently and on two separate hard drives. Store at least one backup in a fire safe or your safe deposit box and rotate them frequently.
4. Flash drives are only for data you don’t mind losing, i.e., short term secondary storage for transferring data.

David says it all!!!!

brassrat
02-26-2020, 09:40 PM
My sediments exactly but haven't had a flashdrive mess up. Very happy my 2nd hard drive came back to life after a couple years, last week. It just needed some force plugging the thing in. Strange cause the light was on but puter couldnt see it.

Ben
02-29-2020, 10:58 AM
I wish I'd never posted the 1st photo on Photobucket !!!!!!!!!!!

khmer6
02-29-2020, 11:01 AM
S3 buckets!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

brassrat
03-01-2020, 12:31 AM
It looks like photo bs took their blocked pics that everyone trusted them with and made them visable but blurry and worthless.

Ben
03-03-2020, 02:58 PM
I'll never give them a copper penny.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-04-2020, 12:53 PM
I wish I'd never posted the 1st photo on Photobucket !!!!!!!!!!!

I agree 100% !

rfd
03-08-2020, 07:44 AM

also as an IT pro, i agree.

1. "the cloud" is someone else's private property, not yours, and therefore using any image/file archive service can compromise your data - or lose it.

2. posting directly from your computing device to a forum ensures that the image/data you upload will remain with the forum - this may not be true if you use any manner of web-based image archive service (the "cloud", photobucket, imgur, etc etc). for insensitive images i feel a need to archive online i use www.imgur.com for public image sharing.

3a. for real computers only - i wrote a simple script that with the click of a mouse will automatically backup all sensitive data (most of which is encrypted) to multiple receptacles at the same time: the main hard drive, a pair of external hard drives, a pair of flash drives. this is only for sensitive data you can't do without - files of all types, images, etc etc - not for applications which can always be reloaded.

3b. for mobile devices only - data will need to get copied off mobile devices and locally stored, as listed above.

4. flashdrives are no longer as unreliable as they used to be and for the very most part can be relied upon for many multiple writes, unlike those thumb drives of the past. they are not a primary source of backup, which will be a mechanical hard drive, but SSDs have improved to the point where they're now replacing mechanical drives in all real computers. flashdrives are silly cheap - buy a bunch, save to them for a year or so of backing up, then take them out of backup rotation and archive them in a safe place.

Remyvtr15
04-28-2020, 10:40 PM
I'll never give them a copper penny.

Or a Zinc one