PDA

View Full Version : Any one from Coloardo?

Bill D
11-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Looking for some one that makes there own lead bullets and that is willing to show me how its done, I'm interested in seeing hard it is to make lead bullets. I want to see if its worth the time and investment. Reloading for 38spl,357mag, and 44mag. I live in the Bailey area.

Thank You for Your Time

Bill
bdouthet@aol.com

Echo
11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the board, Bill. There is more expertise here than you can believe, and I'm not blowing my own horn - I consider myself a tyro in comparison to others on the board, even though I have been casting for over 40 years.

I will guarantee you that it is worth it. Casting boolits makes so much sense, especially when factory condom bullets are costing .25-.30 apiece. Plus, you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. It can grow to be an obsession. And you can get into casting for not too much dinero, so the dinero won't be much - to start with. Once you get hooked, the sky's the limit. Since you will be casting for pistol cartridges, it makes it some simpler.

My recommendation, if you decide to dip your toes in, is to stick with Lee equipment, at least to start with. Their equipment is inexpensive, but better than one would expect given the cost. Thei 10-lb bottom pour furnace in fairly cheap, their molds are danged good, and their sizing system is inexpensive and effective. Check eBay for good deals. You may want to upgrade in the future, or - you may decide casting isn't for you, and if so, then you aren't out too much dinero. If you wish to continue casting, the Lee system can do a creditable job for you. And read the books - Lyman, RCBS, and Lee all have great reloading manuals with info on casting.

Personally, I have 5 furnaces, 20+ molds, and three lube/sizers - and still look for more. I said it can be an obsession! And there are LOTS of folks on this board that have WAY more equipment than I.

I'm sure more folks will chime in with their recommendations. In the meantime, read all the stickys on each thread . . . I could say LOL, 'cause that would take a WHILE. But there is a ton of info here.

Again, welcome.

Bill*
11-15-2008, 07:23 PM
I WISH, but I'm from NJ. (sigh):mrgreen:.....OHHH-- and Welcome Bill....Bill

scrapcan
11-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Bill D,

You have quite a few Coloradans here to look up. Where are you at in CO? Depending on where you are you may have some other folks near the borders to help out.

I am north of the border near Cheyenne.

rockrat
11-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Can't help as I am on the other side or the Mountain. I would go with an older Saeco pot (mines almost 40 years old and works fine) as the lee drips quite a bit. Nothing wrong with the lee moulds, I have many of them. If you do want to get into casting , I could send you a lee "drip-o-matic" for you to try.

R.M.
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm in the mountains (foothills) between Golden and Boulder.
First thing I'd be doing is collecting some lead. Once you start, you'll never have enough, and if you don't start, you can always get another caster to take it off your hands.
I use Lee for the most part. Lee equipment is cost effective, but does have a few hangups. Doesn't bother me.
PM me if you want any help.

mike in co
11-17-2008, 06:23 PM
and i am over in aurora.

mike in co

76 WARLOCK
11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I live in Lakewood if it is closer.

.45Cole
11-18-2008, 04:32 PM
rockrat-where on th west slope? I'm from GJ, but in greeley for college.