PDA

View Full Version : Custom build action question

C-dubb
02-06-2020, 10:39 AM
I am in the planning stage of a custom rifle. I have always wanted to put one together and finally am going to do it. The rifle will be a 338-06 with a 24" barrel and a fancy walnut stock.
What I haven't decided is what action to use. Here are the ones I'm considering :

Mauser 98 (military or civilian)
Springfield 1903
Remington 700
Winchester (controlled feed) pre64 or new model

Would love to hear your choices and why.
Thanks in advance.

Rapidrob
02-06-2020, 10:45 AM
With the larger bullet diameter the M1917 Enfield action with it's six round magazine may be the way to go.
The action is just stupid strong and can be modified for just about any normal magnum cartridge.
There are many of the actions modified in the 50's/60's laying around for a very fair price.
Otherwise, any of the ones you list would do well.

Sig556r
02-06-2020, 10:47 AM
Rem700 with detachable mags

C-dubb
02-06-2020, 10:51 AM
With the larger bullet diameter the M1917 Enfield action with it's six round magazine may be the way to go.
The action is just stupid strong and can be modified for just about any normal magnum cartridge.
There are many of the actions modified in the 50's/60's laying around for a very fair price.
Otherwise, any of the ones you list would do well.

Completely forgot about the enfield. this post was supposed to narrow my list not expand it. :)

C-dubb
02-06-2020, 10:54 AM
Rem700 with detachable mags

I like the Remington 700 but want an old school look so no detachable mag. I'm even on the fence if I even want a floor plate.

Shawlerbrook
02-06-2020, 11:31 AM
Personally I would opt for the Winchester M70 as I love the 3 position safety among other features.

Sig556r
02-06-2020, 12:12 PM
I like the Remington 700 but want an old school look so no detachable mag. I'm even on the fence if I even want a floor plate.

Use a BDL stock then with blind magazine, not sure if they're available without a floorplate inlet. But if you want an earlier look, maybe 721 or 722? Pls update us when built...

RU shooter
02-06-2020, 02:48 PM
Just my tastes but I'd go with the model 700 and an ADL style stock if going without a floorplate is the plan second choice with be an old school prewar Mauser sporting rifle look with a shorter forend and schnabbled tip but that's the look I like

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-06-2020, 03:16 PM
I have a friend who builds custom rifles, as well as wood stock duplicating.
He and I, have had many discussions over the last 20 years, his table is next to mine at the local (once a year) gunshow.
One of his favorite action is the Argentine Mauser Model 1909, specifically, the most common one, which is German made and marked Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken.

TNsailorman
02-06-2020, 03:31 PM
I had 2 of the 1909 Argentine mauser actions and they were both really machined actions. I had a local gunsmith put a Shilen match grade barrel in 30-06 and I put a stock on it. Beautiful rifle and shot so well that I sent it to Robar and had it their Robar finish put on it. My son has it now. james

pietro
02-06-2020, 03:51 PM

The wildcat .338/06 uses a standard .30-06 case, and is not a belted magnum - whose best home is the Enfield.

IMO, your best choice, in terms of an E-Z-Peazy build, metallurgy, strength & ease of obtaining easy repairs, wide repair parts availability and accessories would be a controlled-feed (CRF) post-91 Winchester Model 70 Classic.

Also IMO, the military actions require much more modification than a commercial action to result in a nice sporting/custom rifle; and the Remington (while nice) is a non-starter as being a classic custom rifle.

Texas by God
02-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Get an older walnut stocked 700 ADL 30-06 and and send to JES for the .338- 06 rebore. Bam, as the kids say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

C-dubb
02-06-2020, 05:46 PM
Get an older walnut stocked 700 ADL 30-06 and and send to JES for the .338- 06 rebore. Bam, as the kids say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Have been looking over varies older custom guns for sale and believe that buying one and having it sent to JES may be the most economical way to go. I may wait until April and see what I can find at the Tulsa gun show.

iomskp
02-06-2020, 06:05 PM
I went down this path a couple of years ago, the first mistake I made was relying on others to do the right thing by me, if I did it again I would micro manage it, I chose reputable gunsmiths and stock builders and putting it bluntly I got screwed each and every way by relying on them, +1 with C-dubb

M-Tecs
02-06-2020, 06:18 PM
I have done several on all of the action being discuss. Unless you are doing the work yourself the 98 Mauser, 1903 or 1917 required to much time and effort (money) to get them to equal the triggers, lock speed and tolerances of the 70's or 700's not. Resale value is way better for 70's and 700's

Uncle Grinch
02-06-2020, 07:39 PM
You could always pick up an Interarms commercial Mauser and use it as a start. It comes already set up.you can then add your personal things.

Texas by God
02-06-2020, 11:47 PM
Whatever you do- pics!

6gunz
02-07-2020, 12:22 AM
I used a 700 action on my 338-06 AI. I found a beat up 700 BDL 270 at a gun show cheap. The stock didn't even make good firewood. You will love the 338-06 it's a good round and one of my favorites. Enjoy the build, lots of fun decisions to make.

smithnframe
02-07-2020, 07:49 AM
Can't go wrong with a 98 IMHO!

Petrol & Powder
02-07-2020, 08:48 AM
The available budget will play a role.

Finding a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action is going to be difficult and paying for a modern era model 70 Controlled feed version is going to be expensive.
The Remington 700 long action would likely be the least expensive non-military surplus option.
A Springfield 1903 action (other than a low number receiver) is going to be difficult to find in good condition and affordable.
There are a lot of suitable Mauser 98 actions out there but as others have said, some may need additional time & money. There's also the Mauser safety which is perfectly functional but some people don't care for it. That can be altered but that's more time & money again.

I too had forgot about the 1917 action, that's an option.

I think the money available will play a big part.

uscra112
02-07-2020, 10:15 AM
I'd go Remington. Easy to find one that won't break the bank, and the stock Walker trigger is perfectly fine for anything but serious benchrest. (I have never done the recall on mine, and won't.) Second choice a good grade of Mauser. Winchesters are just too gol-darned spendy for my taste. Springfield of course OK, and pretty easy to find as old "sporters", but somehow I just don't warm up to them.

Enfield 1917s are strong as he11, but heavy, and they're cock-on-closing.

roadie
02-07-2020, 01:45 PM
It's hard to give suggestions as to which action is best without knowing just what you want to end up with. Also, is money a consideration, or can you do a lot of the work yourself. In general, a commercial action will be way ahead of a military action, simply because of the time and work involved to change a military action to what a commercial one gives you.

Myself, I'd look for a commercial 98, probably an FN, they're out there along with the branded ones and deals can be found. You get it all in one, decent trigger, ready for a scope, the metalwork is done, and a fine action. Just a new barrel, re-finishing, and the fancy wood. Paying someone to change a military 98 into what an FN gives you is kinda like throwing money away.

It depends too on your definition of custom, it's different for a lot of people.....and it doesn't seem to mean what it did when I was building custom rifles.

stubshaft
02-07-2020, 05:14 PM
I used a model 70 controlled feed action with a McGowan featherweight barrel to build mine. I had a couple of them lying around, but would not hesitate to use a 700 action to build another one.

Rapidrob
02-07-2020, 05:47 PM
All good answers and advice. I have built several rifles on Santa Barbra Mauser actions and have been very happy with them.
I also have bought used Wetherby Athena ( Howa) actions and made match winning rifles using them. Their steel is first rate.
My "Mile rifle" is one I built in 8mm Remington magnum using the Howa action with a 38" Douglas XX barrel, Remington 700 glass stock and Vortex scope. I did it on the cheap and have won a couple of the matches.
What you want the rifle to do should tell you who's action to use. If your never going to shoot over 200 yards, a well used Turk Mauser action will fill the bill.( bolt/lug movement) Father out and any of the above actions will do nicely.
I would still look at rifles converted in the 50-60's. Their cheap and all you may need to do is replace the barrel and bed the action.
In my day the Elk hunters really liked the .35 Whelen. ( 06 opened up to .357)
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/9/2/35-whelen-the-colonel-s-cartridge/

C-dubb
02-07-2020, 06:35 PM
I plan to use this rifle mainly for hunting deer, hogs and elk. Probably never take a shot over 300 yards.
I know that the cheapest route would be the model 700 and I'm not ruling it out but I already have a few and am leaning towards something different. So far the model 70 or a civilian 98 sound good but I am still open to finding an old custom rifle that someone has done the hard work on the action.

akajun
02-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Sounds like your willing to spend the money to build a nice rifle. If not your better off buying a factory gun as you’ll be money ahead.
If you go Mauser find a nice used commercial Mauser action. Parker hale, interarms, cz, Santa Barbara, fn are all good ones and make nice rifles. Stay away from the military actions, as by the time you drill and tap, bend the bolt, and replace the safety and trigger your money behind.
Same thing with 1903 and 1917’s.
Surprisingly you can find long action push feed m70’s and even the “ classic” m70’s for around 4-500 and they build nice rifles.
If you go 700, easy button is to buy a $400 one from a big box store and strip it to the action and sell the take offs.
However if you want to upgrade for a nicer action the ptg 700 clones are about $700, come with whatever extractor you want, and are trued so no extra machine work is needed. Same for the Stiller scout actions.

waksupi
02-09-2020, 11:11 AM
I've got good Mauser actions at gunshows, by buying rifles with nasty barrels and beat up stocks. Last one was a Herter's FN action. I gave around $250 for it.
One thing many want to do is to chamber with a match reamer. I really advise against it. They are not forgiving of a speck of dust getting in the chamber, and to me are unsuited for a hunting rifle.

GARD72977
02-09-2020, 11:42 AM
I would choose a controlled feed. I think it makes a much nicer feel. I want a gun that makes me happy when I pick it up. A Winchester 70 controlled feed or one of the others would be very nice.

I have a 7-08 match rifle built on a A303 Smith Corona action. It is as smooth as butter