PDA

View Full Version : Question, modifying a brass mold.........

HiVelocity
02-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Folks,

I have a brass mold that I would like to have both the (1) grease groove, and the gas check step removed.

This will allow me to have 1-cavity as a powder coat only; and the second cavity as original.

Anyone on the forum perform this function, reasonably priced?

Thanks in advance, comments, recommendations welcomed.

HV

lightman
02-06-2020, 07:18 PM
Eric at Hollowpoint Molds does top notch custom mold work.

kevin c
02-07-2020, 12:32 PM
You likely know this, but for the new folks, it really isn't necessary to remove the lube groove for coated casts. Removing it increases the weight, and there'll be extra bearing surface. Both (along with the new heel in this case) may change how the round behaves when loaded to any recipe for the original design.

It's true that getting HiTek (and maybe powder coat? I don't know that technique) into the groove can take some doing, but while perhaps lighter or blotchy in color, it's not a contact area in the barrel so lubrication and leading are non issues.

HiVelocity
02-07-2020, 11:54 PM
Kevin C-

Yes sir, I'm aware of the increased weight. Since my die is a .311 and the grease groove is deep, probably will increase the weight a few grains, no problem.

Lightman-

I appreciate the heads up; I'll call Eric, I've done business with him several times.

HV