PDA

View Full Version : Lee dies in a RL550B

jim4065
11-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Any problem with this? I have a bunch of Lee dies and really love the Factory Crimp Dies, but I'm thinking of going to a Dillon to save some of the repetitive arm motions. Probably keep the Lee Classic turret - it's handy for smaller jobs. Loading 1000 rounds on the Lee is too much like work.

Any good reason to go to the RL650? All I see is a powder cop - hard to justify the increase for that alone. :roll:

happy7
11-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Lee dies work fine on the 550. I use a bunch on mine. However, you will have to remove the o ring from the retaining nut, remove the nut, and reinstall it upsidedown. Otherwise the die isn't quite long enough. But this way, they work fine.

happy7
11-15-2008, 03:35 PM
If you ever get up my way, stop by and I will let you load some on mine if you like.

hotwheelz
11-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes the lee dies will work fine , Unless your going to turn out 1000's of rounds a month no need for the 650 you can get a case feeder for the 550 now so the only things the 650 does is auto index and has a 5th die station for powder check .....

missionary5155
11-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Roger all the above commo... Been using my 550B for 20 years and Lee have been used all along.

sig2009
11-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Lee dies work fine on the 550. I use a bunch on mine. However, you will have to remove the o ring from the retaining nut, remove the nut, and reinstall it upsidedown. Otherwise the die isn't quite long enough. But this way, they work fine.

What! I have never had to reinstall the retaining nut upside down on any of my Lee dies with my 550. The first thing I do is buy the 1" retaining rings from Dillon and lose the Lee 1 1/4" retaining rings. Without doing that you don't have enough room to adjust the dies with a wrench.

happy7
11-15-2008, 05:37 PM
The Dillon rings fit, but the Lee ones are taller than the Dillon ones, and sometimes won't fit right side up if you screw the die all the way in like how you do with the sizing die for instance. They fit upside down, because the threads don't go all the way through the nut. But the new 1" dillon rings do give more room.

What! I have never had to reinstall the retaining nut upside down on any of my Lee dies with my 550. The first thing I do is buy the 1" retaining rings from Dillon and lose the Lee 1 1/4" retaining rings. Without doing that you don't have enough room to adjust the dies with a wrench.

shotman
11-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I dont know if your buying but if you are dont go dillon. If you have, the lee ring/ nuts will work on the bottom of the die [where it comes through the die plate] on the 550 ---650 all wont work in line. rick

jim4065
11-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Shotman - why not go Dillon? I had an RL450 years ago that loaded 9mm and 30 carbine real well, but struggled with .223 (if I recall correctly). At any rate - nothing but pleasant memories. My choices are really Dillon, Hornady and Lee. Got a lot of Lee stuff - no major complaints. Just don't know much about the LNL Progressive, whereas Dillon doesn't get much bad press.

Shiloh
11-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes the lee dies will work fine , Unless your going to turn out 1000's of rounds a month no need for the 650 you can get a case feeder for the 550 now so the only things the 650 does is auto index and has a 5th die station for powder check .....

I've never seen a DL 650 in operation, and have no doubt about the volume of ammo one can turn out with one. Don't think that the 550 is anemic though.
If one has the spare primer tubes full, components organized and ready to go,
one can churn out an impressive pile of ammo with a DL 550B. ;)

Shiloh

lar45
11-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I'll cast my vote for the Dillon also. It's a very great machine and is a pleasure to load with. I use a bunch of the Lee dies and haven't had any problems with them.
I used to use only RCBS dies, but tried a Lee set when loading for a friend and really liked them. I especially like the long tapered(ultra smooth) expander button.
I think I'll try the Collet Size dies next.
I've been useing the Lee FCD for a couple of years and like it. I seat and crimp with the regular die(for pistol ammo), then have the FCD in the last station. For rifle ammo I seat, then use the FCD.
I put a piece of masking tape on the powder measure lid and also on the low primer buzzer. I write the powder and primer type on the tape that I'm useing at the moment. When I switch I draw a line through it and put the new one on the tape.
It's probably a good idea to empty the powder hopper when you're done, but the primers can sit there for months if you want.

Sprue
11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Any problem with this? I have a bunch of Lee dies and really love the Factory Crimp Dies,but I'm thinking of going to a Dillon to save some of the repetitive arm motions Probably keep the Lee Classic turret - it's handy for smaller jobs. Loading 1000 rounds on the Lee is too much like work.

Any good reason to go to the RL650? All I see is a powder cop - hard to justify the increase for that alone. :roll:

When you go Blue, your repetitive arm motions will continue as you will be reaching for your wallet. Be prepared to be nickle and dimed.

I think the costs are a little more for the 650 when you buy or change tool heads as oppose to the 550B.

The Lee dies will work just fine but you may find it a little cumbersome to tighten each die to the tool head without the custom lock rings from dillon.( I'm speaking of the 550B models here)

I like my dillons though, don't get me wrong.