PDA

View Full Version : ID gun parts

rickw55
02-05-2020, 03:32 PM
Some time back, I bought a bunch of miscellaneous gun parts at an estate sale. I couldn't identify most of them so I posted pictures on this forum and asked for help in identifying them. Several of you were kind enough to respond and identify them for me, which I greatly appreciated.
I have some more parts that I can't identify, from another estate sale.Could you please help me identify these parts? I would appreciate any help.
Here are the pictures.
They are in three groups:256126 256127 256128 256129
256130 256131
The first group shows on the left what I think is a rear sight, but it has a curved rack attached to it.Is it for a pistol? The two smaller items on the right seem to be safety levers, but for what?
The second group has two firing pins on the right, and what I think is a semi-auto rifle bolt second from the left.I have no idea what the two odd-shaped parts to the left and right of it are.
The third group has two front sights and one very odd part. That part has a section in the center that slides from side to side.At first In thought it might be a front sight, but I don't know.
All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick W

richbug
02-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Look at a schematic for an M1 Garand. With the exception of the hooded sight, you should find them all there.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-05-2020, 04:30 PM
richbug is correct-- the parts are for the M1 Garand rifle. The hooded front sight may be a National Match component, as is the hooded rear sight shown on the extreme left in photos #1 and #2.

Winger Ed.
02-05-2020, 04:33 PM
The rear sight parts are National Match ones.

They'll fit the Garand and I think the M1A-M14.

You'd need to measure the width of the front sight blade.
What ever the width is will tell ya if it's issue or NM. The NM front sight blade is thinner.

It'd be easy enough to check-
M1 & M14 sights look the same, but they may or may not interchange.

lefty o
02-05-2020, 04:43 PM
the hooded front sight would be an aftermarket part.

Texas by God
02-05-2020, 06:13 PM
That was too easy for this bunch of folks......

rickw55
02-05-2020, 09:21 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate it!
It may have been easy for you guys, but it was an almost complete mystery for me.
All these parts were in one container, but I had no idea that they belonged together.The last bunch of parts I bought were from a lot of different guns, all mixed together.
Rick W

Texas by God
02-05-2020, 10:11 PM
It was thoughtful of someone to put only Garand parts in the container; usually there will be parts from different guns mixed with little parts from cars, sewing machines, etc. or like you said- rifle, pistol, shotgun and muzzleloader mix/ match. Now you need an M1 Garand to go with those parts.