PDA

View Full Version : Need help with mini lathe

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2020, 11:02 AM
I have one of the typical small mini lathes. I lost a key when changing gears. I finally got a new one, but can’t remember what combination of gears to use for normal turning. I have all the different combinations for making threads, but nothing to tell me how to set it up normally. Can someone help me out?
Thanks

Moleman-
02-04-2020, 11:11 AM
Go to Grizzly lathes and find the one that physically looks like yours. Click on the "documents" tab and download the manual.

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2020, 01:09 PM
I went to Grizzly and I think I found what I need. I’ll find out tomorrow.
Thanks

McFred
02-04-2020, 01:18 PM
There are online calculators that will let you input the leade screw TPI and various gear combinations to produce a desired TPI.

Or you can make a spreadsheet and make a table of lever/gear combinations to get you what you want.

Traffer
02-04-2020, 01:22 PM
On a typical mini lathe I just use the biggest diameter gears that fit for normal turning. Bigger the gears = slower the carriage moves. In fact there is a guy on facebook that sells a set of change gears printed from his 3D printer that is even geared lower than stock. I bought a set from him for $15. They have been working well and seem to be as durable as the plastic ones the machine came with. He still sells them but I think he charges a little more now. $20?. If you want I can pm you how to contact him (easy if you are on face book)
The info for thread cutting gearing should be right on the lathe.

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2020, 01:54 PM
I have all of the settings for different threads on the side, but nothing told me how to set it up for normal operation. I’m ok now. I went to grizzly and found what I need and a lot more good information.

Traffer
02-04-2020, 02:00 PM
I have all of the settings for different threads on the side, but nothing told me how to set it up for normal operation. I’m ok now. I went to grizzly and found what I need and a lot more good information.

Did your lathe come with metal or plastic gears?...If plastic, it's OK. Some folks disparage them but they are just fine.

Traffer
02-04-2020, 02:05 PM
I hope it's OK to post this...This is a FB site called "7X Mini Lathe" Lots of good info here and good folks sharing...https://www.facebook.com/groups/480517968637011/
A person needs a Facebook account to access it I guess.

Moleman-
02-04-2020, 02:37 PM
They also have archived manuals for older machines. My 9x20 lathe was labeled by Enco and is old enough (1994) that some of the apron parts are different than the current ones. I've had to look up the older models when ordering apron parts from them since Enco is no more.

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2020, 04:04 PM
Did your lathe come with metal or plastic gears?...If plastic, it's OK. Some folks disparage them but they are just fine.

I have the plastic gears and don’t worry about the strength, but they are so hard to get on and off. I’ve considered buying metal gears just so they would be easier to get on and off. I probably won’t put the money into them now, because I am thinking of upgrading soon. Probably another Chinese lathe, just bigger and with more options and more precise. I’m working mainly with steel. What I have now is about the cheapest that was for sale, but I have done a lot with it.

Traffer
02-04-2020, 05:58 PM
I have the plastic gears and don’t worry about the strength, but they are so hard to get on and off. I’ve considered buying metal gears just so they would be easier to get on and off. I probably won’t put the money into them now, because I am thinking of upgrading soon. Probably another Chinese lathe, just bigger and with more options and more precise. I’m working mainly with steel. What I have now is about the cheapest that was for sale, but I have done a lot with it.

That's strange, I have never had any trouble getting the change gears on and off. Just a hex cap screw on the shaft and pop them off. Are your stuck or something? Oh you do also have to loosen the screw that tensions the assembly but I think only one cap screw for that also. But be sure you do that first otherwise the teeth themselves will make it more difficult to separate.

DDRanch
02-04-2020, 06:17 PM
Taffer

Thanks for Mini Lathe link to FB

Also would be interested in contact info for replacement gear guy.

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2020, 11:35 PM
That's strange, I have never had any trouble getting the change gears on and off. Just a hex cap screw on the shaft and pop them off. Are your stuck or something? Oh you do also have to loosen the screw that tensions the assembly but I think only one cap screw for that also. But be sure you do that first otherwise the teeth themselves will make it more difficult to separate.

I have to pry my plastic gears off and tap them on with a hammer. As I said, I got one of the cheapest available and there the quality control wasn’t there. I should mic the shafts and gears. I thought they needed a tight fit because they were plastic and didn’t want to try and ream them.

Traffer
02-05-2020, 01:56 AM
Well there is a lot of difference in quality control in these units. They look the same but some are much better than others. Mine is a Harbor Freight 7x10 that i bought while they still honored their big coupons on their "Central Machinery" brand name. Mine was "out the door for under $450 including tax. Right now the same unit cannot be bought for under $700 (I got mine just over a year ago). There is a video of a (seemingly same) mini lathe on youtube that is unbelievably shoddy. Same looking parts except a different color but the thing had to be rebuilt in order to use. This is the really poor one... There are more videos on this lathe by this same guy if you want more follow up.

https://youtu.be/YTfLc9238vA

DDRanch
02-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Anyone here have a clue as to who made "Metalworker" mini lathe? Or should I ask what brand it is now?

GregLaROCHE
02-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Well there is a lot of difference in quality control in these units. They look the same but some are much better than others. Mine is a Harbor Freight 7x10 that i bought while they still honored their big coupons on their "Central Machinery" brand name. Mine was "out the door for under $450 including tax. Right now the same unit cannot be bought for under $700 (I got mine just over a year ago). There is a video of a (seemingly same) mini lathe on youtube that is unbelievably shoddy. Same looking parts except a different color but the thing had to be rebuilt in order to use. This is the really poor one... There are more videos on this lathe by this same guy if you want more follow up.

https://youtu.be/YTfLc9238vA

I think that’s the one I have. $600 a year ago including shipping from an internet seller. I’ve done a lot of tuning on it and it now works ok. Just not up to working mostly with steel unless really small parts. I have made some special screws for old guns with it.

Traffer
02-05-2020, 05:44 PM
@GregLaROCHE
Actually once you get the gibs set so the slop is out and everything is running as it should it will cut steel just fine. I use mine primarily for making dies from grade 8, 7/8-14 bolts. (actually the equivalent of grade 14)
And just fyi, I have found that grade 8 bolts machine easier than grade 5 bolts. It is strange but true. I have some videos of me using my lathe on youtube. I make pretty poor videos but you can see here what mine is like. You can hear a clicking. That is because (I believe) I cracked a bearing by pounding on the work with a hammer to get it to run true. I am a rank amateur when it comes to machining. I tend to be cave man-ish when making things. I break a lot of stuff.

https://youtu.be/yRb0eTZO0xM

GregLaROCHE
02-09-2020, 03:32 AM
@GregLaROCHE
Actually once you get the gibs set so the slop is out and everything is running as it should it will cut steel just fine. I use mine primarily for making dies from grade 8, 7/8-14 bolts. (actually the equivalent of grade 14)
And just fyi, I have found that grade 8 bolts machine easier than grade 5 bolts. It is strange but true. I have some videos of me using my lathe on youtube. I make pretty poor videos but you can see here what mine is like. You can hear a clicking. That is because (I believe) I cracked a bearing by pounding on the work with a hammer to get it to run true. I am a rank amateur when it comes to machining. I tend to be cave man-ish when making things. I break a lot of stuff.

https://youtu.be/yRb0eTZO0xM

I had a clicking and was worried it was a bad sign. It turned out that one of the notches on the drive belt had broken off. When I replaced it, Iran smooth as silk.