PDA

View Full Version : raise Lee press from bench

Battis
02-04-2020, 12:21 AM
I just got this bench at Harbor Freight. Not bad for the money ($120 with coupon).
What's a good way to raise a Lee turret press up from the top of it?

country gent
02-04-2020, 12:29 AM
I have that bench also. How much do you want to raise the press? A block can be made from 2 X ? on edge glued together and doweled. finished down to size and thickness. Drill 3 holes to match the bench top and bolt thru with heads on underside of the top. Drawers will clear them. then drill bolt pattern for press and counter sink heads so block sits flat and bolt press on to it then block to bench. Really handy is counter bore holes in block then you can bolt unbolt with out disturbing the bolts for the block

parson48
02-04-2020, 12:04 PM
I bought one of these back before Christmas. It's serving me well. Use with Dillon 550b and RCBS Rockchucker.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020723361

Battis
02-04-2020, 12:16 PM
I think the problem is not the height of the press, but the fact that it has to overhang the edge of the bench so that the tube that holds the spent primers can clear the bench. Raising the press would help, or extending it over the edge.

jdfoxinc
Someone else uses a spare tire mount.

C.F.Plinker
I made a block for my ABLP and found that I had to space it out away from the bench about 1/4 inch in order to allow room for the primer disposal tube where it exits from the back of the ram. It looks like this is necessary if the bench thickness plus the block height is 2" or more. YMMV

Battis
02-04-2020, 12:34 PM
That's the problem - the tube clearance. I just called Lee Precision and they said their base plates are meant to mount flush with the edge of the bench. When I told the tech about the tube not clearing he said, "Must be a problem with your bench," which makes no sense. I might just buy a metal plate that will overhang. Then there's these items but they're kind pricey, though it might be worth it:
https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lee

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-04-2020, 01:06 PM
Which turret press?

The Classic and the new Value turret press, both dispense spent primers through the Ram.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNDpzzoE0s

The Old Value turret press dispenses the spent primers into the base, I don't believe there is a tube to route the spent primers to another container, unless you make a DIY spent primer system, like some people have made...I did such, by drilling a hole in the bench and gluing a tube into the hole of the wood bench.

Battis
02-04-2020, 01:24 PM
I have the "new" Lee 4 hole value turret. The spent primer tube/hose actually drops between the linkage and the bench top, so it gets squished unless I overhang or raise the press. The girl that answered the phone at Lee knew exactly what I was talking about and even described the problem. The tech guy blamed it on my bench. I'll just use a board and make a small overhang.

poppy42
02-04-2020, 01:42 PM
I have A Lee classic cast turret it mounts to the edge of the bench so that the linkage and the primer tube overhang the bench. No problem, unless you want to mount your press further back on the bench then you must raise it up. I don’t know which model turret press you have but all the ones I’ve seen mount the same way. Even the Lee stand is designed so that theTurret linkage and primer tube hangs down in front of the stand. I guess I’m missing your problem. Pictures might help. And I don’t mean just of the advertisement of the bench you’re bought.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-04-2020, 02:01 PM
After I watched the video I posted, I now understand you issue.
I guess Lee is thinking their value turret should be mounted on a value bench...LOL, meaning a thin topped cheaply made bench.
I agree with your plan to use a steel plate...and I suspect it will have to be made to over hang far enough to clear the front mounting bolts, unless you drill a couple holes in the bench to inset the bolt/nut or bolt head (if you invert the bolt).

Battis
02-04-2020, 03:15 PM
The spent primer tube hangs down the back of the press. From the base of the press to the top of the tube is 1 1/2". Which means that if the edge of the bench is more than 1 1/2" wide (or thick), which mine is (2 1/2"), the top of the tube will not be able to fit under the edge, and it will get squished. If I raise the press, or overhang it, the tube will be fine. I could probably remove the tube and let the spent primers drop into a bucket or whatever.

poppy42
02-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Ok noooow I see what your talking about, after watching John B’s video he posted. The easiest fixed I can see is do exactly what was done in the video mount to press on a piece of three-quarter inch plywood or if you concerned mounted on two pieces of three-quarter inch plywood that’s plenty of strength and then mount plywood to the bench. In my case( I live in an apartment so I have limited space) all my equipment is mounted this way and I mount my equipment to the bench with peanuts so that I can remove any piece of equipment and put another one up there by saving space. The only thing you have to remember is all the bolts that mount your plywood to your equipment must be countersunk so that the plywood sits flat on your bench! I see no reason to buy Lee’s bench mounts unless you want to you can get a half sheet of plywood for about 20 bucks and make many many many equipment mounts! I tried to upload a couple of photos but for some reason I’m having some difficulty if you want I send me a PM and I can email or text you what I’m talking about. I hope this helps

Battis
02-04-2020, 03:51 PM
The Inline Fabrication Company sells the risers in three heights: 4", 7 1/2" and 9 1/2". But you have to let them know that it's a Lee NEW 4 hole Value turret press because the mounting holes are different. A simple overhanging board should do it.

Froogal
02-04-2020, 04:01 PM
I have a 2x6 in between the bench and the press.

samari46
02-05-2020, 01:06 AM
I scrounged an old office table which was all steel. Closed in the back,sides and added shelves and had a hinged door. For the top I used full 2" x12" scaffold planks. Scaffold planks are what is used for florring on scaffolds. used carriage bolts to fasten them to the table top. Planed and sanded the tops down and about 3-4 coats of spar varnish. As far as the correct height for the presses there right where I want them. The other table so converted uses some old 2 1/4" hard rock maple for a top. Sanded and varnished. Frank

fast ronnie
02-05-2020, 06:08 AM
That's the problem - the tube clearance. I just called Lee Precision and they said their base plates are meant to mount flush with the edge of the bench. When I told the tech about the tube not clearing he said, "Must be a problem with your bench," which makes no sense. I might just buy a metal plate that will overhang. Then there's these items but they're kind pricey, though it might be worth it:
https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lee

Dillon makes these for their press, too.
I mounted mine on a 3/8ths thick steel plate bolted to the bench. The plate is drilled and tapped for a couple of different presses which makes it simple to change without removing the plate.

Battis
02-05-2020, 09:31 AM
I checked out plates and brackets at the hardware store, priced things that I could use, measured, checked out different woods, then said the heck with it and bought a riser from Inline Fabrications. It should be here this weekend.

Gus Youmans
02-06-2020, 03:09 PM
You won't regret it. They make great stuff.

Gus Youmans

clum553946
02-06-2020, 03:55 PM
I have that very same bench. I have two Inline Fabrications quick mount risers that work really well. I like that you can change presses, sizers, priming tools ect by just buying the correct plate for your tools and you can switch the on the mount in seconds. Their mounts are very well built.

flagman1776
02-06-2020, 10:25 PM
I have my presses mounted on thick plywood... 5/8 - 3/4 inch... carriage bolts recessed from underneath. I use a couple of big **** C clamps to hold it to the bench. I left the C lamp spot as a gap but finished the edge with an aluminum strip to keep cases and primers from going to the floor. Over many years, I've been glad I didn't bolt it to my bench top directly... like I did on my first couple of benches.

djryan13
02-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Someone on another forum (i think) posted this recently as an option... I bought one to try. You have to be creative with it but it looks interesting so I bought one. Haven’t had a chance yet (but for $13 why not...)

MaxxHaul Powder Coat Black 70214 Trailer Spare Tire Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJKB2FQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_tYmpEb9VJF19T

Battis
02-07-2020, 12:29 AM
That does look pretty good. Is it 12 inches high? Let us know how it works. I found a bunch of items at the hardware store that I could use, but decided just to buy the pre-made riser.

Battis
02-09-2020, 10:25 AM
I bought the 9 1/2" riser from Inline Fabrications, and I'm glad I did. It's heavy, well made, sturdy and it looks better than anything I could have made. Good people to deal with, very fast (free) shipping).
https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system

fast ronnie
02-09-2020, 01:31 PM
Someone on another forum (i think) posted this recently as an option... I bought one to try. You have to be creative with it but it looks interesting so I bought one. Haven’t had a chance yet (but for $13 why not...)

MaxxHaul Powder Coat Black 70214 Trailer Spare Tire Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJKB2FQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_tYmpEb9VJF19T

I made my own, but that looks like a good starting point for someone without a welder,etc.

jonp
02-10-2020, 06:22 AM
I have a 2x6 in between the bench and the press.

I use a 2x10 with a piece of metal plate on top and clamp the whole thing with C Clamps.

flagman1776
02-10-2020, 01:22 PM
I have my presses mounted on thick plywood... 5/8 - 3/4 inch... carriage bolts recessed from underneath. I use a couple of big **** C clamps to hold it to the bench. I left the C lamp spot as a gap but finished the edge with an aluminum strip to keep cases and primers from going to the floor. Over many years, I've been glad I didn't bolt it to my bench top directly... like I did on my first couple of benches.

I was contemplating various replies... and it came to me that the bench this is mounted to is already high, requires standing or a tall stool to work at.

Kenstone
02-10-2020, 08:38 PM
The spent primer tube hangs down the back of the press. From the base of the press to the top of the tube is 1 1/2". Which means that if the edge of the bench is more than 1 1/2" wide (or thick), which mine is (2 1/2"), the top of the tube will not be able to fit under the edge, and it will get squished. If I raise the press, or overhang it, the tube will be fine. I could probably remove the tube and let the spent primers drop into a bucket or whatever.

A simple open box riser made from 2x6/2x8 might work to get that primer tube above the bench edge.
I know it's a drill press, I done that for a loading press though [smilie=1:
You get the concept,
:grin:
Edit: In keeping with the cheap reputation of reloaders, I've found it way cheaper to reach for a block of wood instead of a charge card :bigsmyl2:

djryan13
02-10-2020, 11:18 PM
That does look pretty good. Is it 12 inches high? Let us know how it works. I found a bunch of items at the hardware store that I could use, but decided just to buy the pre-made riser.

Nah, just measured. 6”

Conditor22
02-11-2020, 02:52 AM
Look at one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJKB2FQ/?coliid=INL3UJY0GAU7E&colid=ST8IC9C5DX8P&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it