PDA

View Full Version : How to keep screws tight?

Kev18
02-03-2020, 11:45 PM
My cartridge guide screw on my 1886 always get loose, along with the hammer pivot screw. It sometimes causes the cartridges to get stuck in the mag tube, or not even feed.
I know people say loctite, but how tight can I put them? I know I broken a few screw heads.

Winger Ed.
02-03-2020, 11:59 PM
Just a drop of the stuff on the screw threads is all ya need.
Tighten it down a bit more than finger tight/snug, you don't need to put a torque value on it more than a few inch-pounds.

Yang down a scope mount a bit more, but that's about the only ones.

The pivot screw's job is to stay still and not come out.
They aren't really trying to hold things down that are under a lot of pressure like a cylinder head or something.

Not familiar with the cartridge guide screw.
I'd put a drop on it, and snug it down.

There's no reason to tighten a gun screw so much its in danger of breaking.

Battis
02-04-2020, 12:13 AM
I have two different types of Loctite - one is stronger than the other. It works well.

David2011
02-04-2020, 01:14 AM
My semi-auto .22 pistol’s front sight got loose every time I shot it no matter how tight I tightened it. Finally after a range session I took it home, cleaned the front sight screw and its threaded hole with a brake cleaner type gun cleaner. One drop of blue Loctite on the screw (not in the hole), reassembled it with moderate torque and it hasn’t come loose again since 1982. It was allowed to sit and cure until the next weekend before shooting it again.

Kev18
02-04-2020, 02:22 AM
Il try blue loctite. I have red also, but I hope I wont need that.

clum553946
02-04-2020, 02:32 AM
Use the blue, if you use red you may have to put heat on the screw to loosen.

Il try blue loctite. I have red also, but I hope I wont need that.

osteodoc08
02-04-2020, 04:41 AM
It’s not that you tighten the screw any tighter. Just clean with some alcohol. Place a little drop on the threads and tighten as you usually would. Just snug is enough on that one.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-04-2020, 08:48 AM
Use blue loctite, then you can remove the screws if you need to.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

kenton
02-04-2020, 09:33 AM
If the screw is smaller than a #10 (10-32,10-24,M5x.8,etc) I start with purple loctite 222. I have had issues with blue loctite on smaller screws.

CBH
02-04-2020, 09:49 AM
Wrapping screw with monofilament fishing line works, too.

lefty o
02-04-2020, 11:45 AM
tig welder will keep it from backing out. seriously though, clean the screw threads, and threads in the rcvr, and the tiniest amount of blue loctite should keep it from moving once its snugged up.

SSGOldfart
02-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Use the blue, if you use red you may have to put heat on the screw to loosen.

Or you may never get the screw out again yep don't ask...Semper-fi

country gent
02-04-2020, 04:33 PM
On a lot of screws the blue locktite doesnt even need to be on the threads. If it has a head with a good shoulder. a wipe on the shoulder and mating surface and snugged down holds good. If its a fitted head in the recess its even better.

wv109323
02-04-2020, 04:56 PM
One reason that bolts come loose is the threads are worn and mating surfaces are not making proper contact. A thread locker fills these voids hardens and adheres per the chemical composition. Select a proper product on the application with a known wway to remove the screw if necessary.

Elroy
02-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Just use red, and if you need to remove the screws lay a soldering iron on the head til you see a little puff of smoke.

gwrench
02-04-2020, 05:57 PM
I'm a big fan of all things loctite but sometimes they can run and cause problems with bluing etc. My brother pointed me to Vibra-tite and it's a good option.

https://www.vibra-tite.com/portfolio-items/vc-3-threadmate-overview-video/

rockshooter
02-04-2020, 08:13 PM
for sights, I find that a little dab of RTV silicone under the sight works well
Loren

Minerat
02-04-2020, 10:26 PM
Clear finger nail polish works too. Did the scope bases on my 300 WBY 10 years ago and still tight.

Tom W.
02-04-2020, 11:57 PM
What he said^^^^^^^^^^

Or green loctite.

M-Tecs
02-05-2020, 12:33 AM
What he said^^^^^^^^^^

Or green loctite.

You forgot the purple font. Like all Loctite you have a choice of grades in green. 680 is the strongest and not for threads. Years ago when I was an R&D toolmaker we built a test machine. I had a couple of pivots that used 3/4 cap screw that kept on backing out. The engineer stated they would never have to be removed so I liberally applied 680. A couple of days later he changed his mind. The only way I could get them out was to heat them to a light cherry color. As soon as you lost the cherry color the screw would lockup. Loctite is a great product if you select the proper grade for the task at hand.

PHyrbird
02-05-2020, 02:10 AM
If the screw is smaller than a #10 (10-32,10-24,M5x.8,etc) I start with purple loctite 222. I have had issues with blue loctite on smaller screws.

Kenton I whole heartedly agree. Purple is specifically designed by Loctite for small diameter screws. Blue or other types lab tested as stripping out part of the threads. Plus heating to cherry temps also pulls any heat-treat from steels making parts unsafe. This info direct from the Loctite seminars.
Members pay attention!! I don't jump up on a stump often, but damage from misinformation is just wrong.

fast ronnie
02-05-2020, 05:54 AM
680 is used for mounting a loose-fitting bearing. If you are going to want to get it apart at some point in the future, use something else. I used it on a loose axle bearing on a 4 wheeler years ago, and it never did fail as far as I know. That thing had about .010 slop in it. I pity anybody that tried to take it apart.

Kev18
02-06-2020, 11:57 AM
How can I tighten up my forend tenon dovetail? Can I take a punch and make a small burr so it tightens? Or is there a more professional way?

Mytmousemalibu
02-06-2020, 12:39 PM
How can I tighten up my forend tenon dovetail? Can I take a punch and make a small burr so it tightens? Or is there a more professional way?

You can peen the edges with hammer and center punch to swell the tenon hole smaller. Your just displacing some metal to tighten it. Start small & light and just one or two spots first.

Kev18
02-09-2020, 07:47 PM
You can peen the edges with hammer and center punch to swell the tenon hole smaller. Your just displacing some metal to tighten it. Start small & light and just one or two spots first.

Ok thats what I did, but i brought the gun out to the woods and shot a few rounds, now its loose again.

flagman1776
02-09-2020, 11:06 PM
I don't recommend red locktite for anything you might want to remove someday. I worked in marine electronics. A customer with a seriously overpowered boat insisted on wave jumping his 32 foot bass boat (so his buddies told me) which resulted in shaking nice new antennas apart, repeatedly. The base mount was on the side deck with a stand off from the flying bridge. I used lots of red locktite. Everything held so he actually broke the antennas. My boss was unable to remove the broken antenna, so I was sent to reverse what ever I'd done. I couldn't heat it where it was. I turned the boat around, put a pipe wrench on it and a ten foot cheater bar, clear across the dock. It fought me every turn. I cleaned up the threads with acetone and installed the new antenna. And pretended like I didn't know why my boss couldn't get it apart. (If he's reading this, sorry!) I threw the red locktite away.