PDA

View Full Version : Completed my collection as far as I am going to today.

tazman
02-03-2020, 11:39 PM
Remington 510, 511, and 512 bolt rifles. I finally got all three.
My father had a 511 in rather poor condition that I inherited. I picked up a 512 a couple of months ago. I used to have a 510 back when I was a teenager but let it get away. I picked up another 510 today.
I know there are 513t rifles out there but they are beyond my means since I won't just collect them. I get them to shoot. Around here, a 513t goes for nearly $450 and up. Too much for my blood.
Sometime soon I am going to take them all to the range and see what they can do and what I can do with them.

The one I got from my father wasn't in anything like good shape. He had drilled large holes(1/4 inch or so) in the receiver in order to mount a scope but all the mounting hardware was gone. It had been left standing in a corner for a long time and was half rusted up. The bore was ok and cleaned up nicely. The rest has some serious "character".
I had to get a new catch to hold the magazines in as the original had broken off at some point. Dad had been using duct tape to hold the mag in place. It worked after a fashion. I found the new catch on Fleabay.

Of the three, the 512 is in the best condition and even it has some scratches in the stock. I may see if I can clean them up some but since I got them for a reasonable price, I am not too worried about it. I will keep them clean and functional.
I have always wanted to get all three of these and now I have.

If you guy want, I can post pictures later. We'll see how much interest there is.

TNsailorman
02-04-2020, 12:21 AM
Those old 500 series Remington's were about as good as it got in their day. My Dad had one and the guys in the neighborhood use to bring him pennies to shoot a hole thru--offhand. I am not sure just what model it was, but the best I remember it had a curved magazine and what I thought of at the time as a "beehive" rear bolt knob. He sold that little rifle and bought a semi-automatic that did not shoot as well. I wish I had one of those pennies today but he never kept any of them for himself, just gave them to neighbors. I miss him. Show us pictures of your rifles. james

tazman
02-04-2020, 02:09 AM
The rifle you describe was the 511.

TNsailorman
02-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Sounds about right and thanks Taz. I have several .22lr's but I may just have to try and find a really good example just for nostalgia. james

sparky45
02-04-2020, 12:16 PM
Don't forget the 514; journeyman's plain Jane but just as accurate.

arlon
02-04-2020, 12:56 PM
I have a few of the 500s, 510 Target Master, 521-T, 541-THB and several 552s.. All are fun but the 510 with just the factory iron sights is my favorite for shooting pop cans.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-04-2020, 12:59 PM
It is odd, isn't it, how the .22 rifles of our youth are kind of underappreciated by the shooting fraternity. Most of us learned on one, and shot much more game with a .22 rifle than we ever did shoot larger game with a higher powered center fire rifle. Seems like when we get older we begin to reflect on how useful they were (and still are) and become interested in them again. I didn't have to collect my original, a Stevens 15-A, because I've still got it! :-D And, six or seven more various .22s acquired along the way.

Pressman
02-04-2020, 01:01 PM
Thanks Taz, now I want one.

Markopolo
02-04-2020, 01:11 PM
i would love to see a pic of it... i love rifles of Character...

arlon
02-04-2020, 01:43 PM
I live in a rural area with a few acres of open space. I can shoot sub sonic .22 LR out of the old Target Master into a bullet trap at 50 yards all day long and never disturb a sole. Can't shoot much of anything else other than an air rifle but it is a lot of fun.

I do still have my first .22 too. I bought an Anschutz 1416 when I was in 8th grade. Mowed a lot of grass to get it.

tazman
02-04-2020, 05:35 PM
I still have the first 22lr I ever purchased. I bought it from my brother for $20 when I was 10 years old(1962). Winchester model 72A. It still wears a 1 inch weaver scope I put on it 45 years ago. I have not needed to adjust the scope in all that time.
The Remington 510 I mentioned was my second gun. I got it about 4 years later. For some idiotic reason, I thought I had enough 22 rifles at some point and let the 510 get away from me.

Jack Stanley
02-04-2020, 07:35 PM
I saw a very nice 510 at a shop on the west side of the state last year and it took all I had to walk away from it . As nice as it was I won't drill it just to help these old eyes , I do have an accurate scoped rifle already . So here's hoping the next generation appreciates it .

Jack

oldhenry
02-04-2020, 08:15 PM
I've "needed" a 510 for some time.

Your description of the one that you got from your father reminds me of my 511. I bought it from a pawn shop in Atlanta in the mid '70s for $32.00. The prior owner had attempted (or maybe succeeded) in mounting a scope by drilling on the left side of the stock. It's no beauty, but shoots so well I wouldn't dare change it. My youngest son says it's the only gun that I own that he's like to own someday: and he will.

Enjoy that 510!

garandsrus
02-04-2020, 08:20 PM
I have two 513t’s I bought from the CMP a while back. Great rifle!

tazman
02-04-2020, 10:27 PM
Here are a couple of pictures. First is the set.

From top to bottom model 510, model 511, model 512

This picture is of the receiver of the 511 that my father configured for a scope mount of some kind.
If you blow the image up a bit you can see the rather poor condition of the blueing and pits from the rust. Nonetheless, I can't part with it because it was my father's rifle.
It still shoots fine as of it's last trip to the range which was years ago. I fired it a couple of months ago just to see if it still worked and it does.

I will take all three of these to the range and see how they shoot. I fully expect even the worst of them to shoot well for me.

As a side note, I always store my firearms with the firing pin dropped on an empty chamber. I don't want the springs to be under any more stress than necessary during storage. It seems to have worked since all my rifles still work as they should with their original springs regardless of their age.
With most 22lr rifles, you don't want to drop the firing pin on an empty chamber so I pull the trigger with the bolt handle up and then ease the handle down. Works like a charm with every bolt rifle I own including center fire.

Forrest r
02-05-2020, 08:54 AM
Keep an eye out the sporter version of the 513t It's marked 513s

https://i.imgur.com/OPrVFnG.jpg

They made 13,xxx of them

tazman
02-05-2020, 09:41 AM
I had no idea that one existed. Thanks for posting the picture.

Texas by God
02-05-2020, 10:36 AM
Thanks for posting this. Dad had the 511, my uncle had the 512. Wonderful rifles. I rescued and restored a 510 last year that I hope to teach my grandson to shoot with( he’s almost 2) someday. My nephew has Dads old 511 and it is still a tack driver. I liked the fact that you can load the clip from the top with the action open. Tazman, I un-cock all my bolt rifles like you do- Dad taught me that even though he was never a “gun guy”. His collection consisted of the 511, a model 235 Stevens hammer SxS 12 gauge, and a 94 Winchester- which I have. My brothers and I learned to shoot with the 511; 30-30 ammo was too expensive to “waste” and the old “ two row” Stevens was brutal. Thanks for kicking up memories!

FLINTNFIRE
02-11-2020, 12:47 AM
I need to look at mine when home , I have the 511 I believe bought some years ago from a older gentleman who was moving south it has drilled holes through stock as it looks like it was used as a set gun on his fathers farm , I also have a tubular feed remington that the linkage feed would not function so 20 years ago I took it to a local gunsmith who said it was not fixable and converted it to a single shot , also have the 513t have not shot it in years , same with a savage anschutz mark10 ah memories .

Rich/WIS
02-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Had a CMP 513T that was accurate as all get out, but let it get away from me. Picked up another civilian model that Bubba had been at that needed a little love. This one had been D&T'd for Weaver bases and the barrel shortened. Reshaped the stock to remove the beavertail forend and thinned it a bit, cut the butt stock to get the odd angle off, added a 1/2" rubber butt pad to get it to correct length and installed QD swivels. Shortened and re-crowned the barrel at 22" and a good going over with Brownells T4 gave the metal a finish that would pass for hot blue. Topped with a BSA 3-9X40 rimfire scope it shoot ragged hole at 25 yards and, when I still hunted, put a lot of squirrels in the pot.

bob208
02-21-2020, 07:11 PM
I still have my 514 I got when I was 12 years old. got my b.s.a. marksmanship badge with it.

Texas by God
02-21-2020, 09:35 PM
I just got another 510 from a member here. Even though I probably didn’t have time to do it, I shot about 20 cb longs and about 20 Blazer lr out of it this afternoon broke some clays at 40 yards then mopped up the pieces. With the cb’s I moved up closer. It shoots sooo good!

tazman
02-22-2020, 12:58 AM
I love these old rifles. They shoot every bit as well as the newer ones and they look so great in those walnut stocks.

Iowa Fox
02-22-2020, 01:56 AM
Nice rifles Taz. I'm always on the lookout for old 22s myself.

Texas by God
03-03-2020, 10:05 PM
My newest 510 is d&t! For When my eyes go bad it's ready for a scope. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200304/befff0a2925634f4194849de2ce92ea1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wcp4570
03-09-2020, 10:21 PM
I am a sucker for old Remington's and I have a few but always looking for other cheap 22. All of my Remingtons shoot very well. I bought a Remington 550-1 semi auto a few years back and really like shooting it better than the new stuff like the Ruger 10/22. I have 2- 510's, 3- 511's, 512, 513, 521, 550-1, 552, 41, 33 and a 34. The model 34 has a very unique cartridge lift mechanism and feeds ammo very smoothly. If you hit enough pawn shops these rifles can be found and many times at very reasonable priced. Good luck on your searching. For those that are interested in know or dating your old Remingtons, I've attach a document with date codes and model information below. An explanation of the date codes can be found here https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

wcp

sparky45
03-10-2020, 09:29 AM
T by G; that is a fantastic looking 510; I need one to take up the last slot in my gun rack.

If1Hitu
03-11-2020, 09:33 PM
Here are a couple of pictures. First is the set.

From top to bottom model 510, model 511, model 512

This picture is of the receiver of the 511 that my father configured for a scope mount of some kind.
If you blow the image up a bit you can see the rather poor condition of the blueing and pits from the rust. Nonetheless, I can't part with it because it was my father's rifle.
It still shoots fine as of it's last trip to the range which was years ago. I fired it a couple of months ago just to see if it still worked and it does.

I will take all three of these to the range and see how they shoot. I fully expect even the worst of them to shoot well for me.

As a side note, I always store my firearms with the firing pin dropped on an empty chamber. I don't want the springs to be under any more stress than necessary during storage. It seems to have worked since all my rifles still work as they should with their original springs regardless of their age.
With most 22lr rifles, you don't want to drop the firing pin on an empty chamber so I pull the trigger with the bolt handle up and then ease the handle down. Works like a charm with every bolt rifle I own including center fire.I have so much to learn,I never knew these model exist, i'm a late guns collector.:mrgreen:

tazman
03-16-2020, 10:24 PM
I finally got these three old rifles to the range. Indoor range, rested on bags, open iron sights(no peep), 25 yards.
In every case, the Norma match ammo gave the best groups. CCI standard velocity was equal or nearly so.
With two of the rifles,(510 and 511), none of the other ammunition really came close.
With the 512, all the groups were pretty good. Even the bulk ammunition shot well.
In every case except the 512, the groups were high. in some cases, nearly 2 inches high in some cases even with the ramp removed and the rear sight sitting on the barrel.
The slower velocity rounds came closer to being inside the aiming dot. With the 512, the groups were centered or just at the top of the aiming dot.
I was using a bottom of the dot hold as nearly as I could tell. My eyes are not what they were years ago when I last shot open sights.
Still, I am happy with the best groups I shot.
The 510(single shot) had the best trigger.
The 511(box magazine) had the worst trigger.( I need to do a super cleaning job on that one).
The 512(tube magazine) had a good trigger. Not the lightest but very crisp and clean.
Here are the best groups from each rifle. All groups are 5 shots.
The first target is from the 510, the second from the 511, and the third from the 512.

Texas by God
03-16-2020, 11:31 PM
Small game better put helmets on! Good shooting you did there.

Texas by God
03-17-2020, 08:04 PM
I found 1/2 of a flat coke in the shop so tossed it into the wet grass and it landed 15 or so feet away with the cap facing me. I thought the 510 with one cb long would suffice and it did. And the bullet stayed in the bottle. These old guns are so cool.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200318/9e91da93230f9175986e310d64dd40dc.jpg

tazman
03-17-2020, 08:11 PM
It's always good to see these old rifles doing their thing. They were built right to start with and just keep on going.
Even my ugly ones shoot well.
I just wish my eyes were better.

Back in the sixties, shorts were cheaper to buy than long rifle ammo. I used short hollow points almost exclusively to squirrel hunt with.
With the longer barrels on these rifles, shorts were very quiet and you could take several squirrels from a single tree without disturbing the others much.
My best was taking five squirrels from the same hickory tree in about 20 minutes. I would shoot them as they left the tree. 5 was the limit then as it is now. I think there were at least 8 squirrels in that tree when I stated and none left the tree alive before I got my 5th one.
The sound of the bullet impacting the squirrel was louder than the shot.

ebb
08-20-2020, 06:25 PM
Nice rifles Taz but you need 513T and a 521T and i am sure there are others.

tazman
08-20-2020, 08:12 PM
I ran into a rifle listed as a 513T at a gun shop near here. Big price and a refinished stock. No peep sight. In fact it looked just like a 510.
Turned out it was a 510 that someone thought they could pawn off as a target rifle.

I would need to see one up close and personal before I could make a decision to buy a 513T.

Drm50
08-20-2020, 08:14 PM
My brother drug a 513T with all the fixings and a 6x Fekker scope around the woods for a squirrel gun. The trick to that is not shooting the squirrel. The trick is to shoot enough squirrel to replenish the calories you burn dragging that thing around. They are tack drivers. Always wanted a 513 sporter, never had chance to buy one. The 521T is much better rifle to tote in woods. It was suppose to be a junior grade target rifle. I had a buddy who retired from IH and he had a 510 that his brother gave him years ago. He never hunted only plinked with 22. He decided he wanted one of every 22 Remington had made. I never got them all but put a big dent in them for 12yrs of buying for him. No m37 in bolt guns. That’s another one I’ve never owned. Have seen very few for sale. I’ve owned several 52 Wins, including the remake Sporter. I never owned original 52 sporter either. I miss all those old bolt 22s. They are custom quality compared to today’s junk. I remember a Win 68 was $19.99 and Rem 510 was $16.99 and Springfield 15 was $12.99 at Western Auto.

EMC45
08-21-2020, 08:29 PM
I have a 510 action I would like to re-barrel.

Petrol & Powder
08-21-2020, 10:46 PM
People often underestimate the quality of the 500 series Remington rifles. They were low cost but not cheap. Remington cut a few corners where they could and put the savings in the barrel. They used good steel in the barrels, they were well made and higher quality than the rifle's "economy" status suggests.

Most of the 500 series .22 cal Remington rifles were working man rimfire rifles but they are capable of excellent accuracy.

The 541 was the high end model and used a multi-lug, rear locking bolt (like a mini 788) and an excellent trigger group.

I've seen old, tried looking 510 & 511 models that shot surprisingly well !
Unfortunately two factors seem to be coming together:
1. I think more people are starting to realize that these fine old guns are good values and buying them up when they appear on the market. Older buyers (possibly with a bit more cash in their pocket) are snatching them up when they appear for sale.
2. People that have old examples are reluctant to sell them for several reasons, so fewer examples are seen for sale.

30 years ago you could find decent examples at gun shows, gun shops and auctions for very reasonable prices. The last one I saw at a pawn shop looked like it had spent its life riding behind the seat of a pickup truck and they were asking over $350 for it. I think it was a 511.

Texas by God
08-21-2020, 11:32 PM
I ran into a rifle listed as a 513T at a gun shop near here. Big price and a refinished stock. No peep sight. In fact it looked just like a 510.
Turned out it was a 510 that someone thought they could pawn off as a target rifle.

I would need to see one up close and personal before I could make a decision to buy a 513T.

But it says Targetmaster right there on the barrel of that 510;-)

tazman
08-22-2020, 01:06 AM
But it says Targetmaster right there on the barrel of that 510;-)

Yes, it surely did. I think that was why the gun shop kept it listed as a 513T for over teo weeks until someone pointed out the difference to them.
I am pretty sure the rifle was there on consignment, so I can't blame the shop.
They never did lower the price though.

Texas by God
08-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Tazman- since you have all three- does the 511 say "Scoremaster" and the 512 "Fieldmaster"on the barrel? As a youth I knew all that but now I'm not sure. Remington had some neat names on guns( Wingmaster, Woodsmaster, Brushmaster etc.)

FLINTNFIRE
08-22-2020, 10:32 AM
Hey Texas jumping in here with looking at my 512 it says SPORTMASTER and the 511 says SCOREMASTER 513t I have drilled on barrel for mounts says MATCHMASTER .

Texas by God
08-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Hey Texas jumping in here with looking at my 512 it says SPORTMASTER and the 511 says SCOREMASTER 513t I have drilled on barrel for mounts says MATCHMASTER .Thanks!

beemer
08-22-2020, 09:14 PM
Several years ago I bought 510 that was beautiful condition, I thought. After a good cleaning the bore was a sewer pipe. It didn't t shoot that well either. While at my gunsmith's shop I mentioned it, he took me in the back and dug out several junked out rifles. One had a decent barrel, he took it off and sold it to me really reasonable. It was marked Scoremaster 511-P, extra holes were bored for a target front sight and no dovetail for a rear sight. I filed the barrel for a sight and it does very well now.

How the rifle was in such nice shape with a ruined bore is a puzzle to me. I don't remember the original date code but it was fairly old. I have guessed that someone fired some old corrosive ammo and never cleaned it.

Dave

Pressman
08-23-2020, 07:57 AM
My older 514 with a non-grooved receiver is not marked with a marketing name.

sparky45
08-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Nor is mine.

tazman
11-26-2020, 06:38 AM
I ran across a 510P in good condition with the original peep sight today. I was short of funds or I would have brought it home.
Is $300 to much for that rifle?

303Guy
11-26-2020, 10:35 PM
That's US$ which in NZ$ would be something in the region of $400. For a nice 510? If I had the money to spare, I would pay that, over priced or not. Looking at my 510, complete with wrong rear sight and broken front sight, the stock seems to be a solid good quality piece of walnut. What is that worth on it's own? Not really the way to look at a rifle's value but just to keep it in perspective. I paid peanuts for my very worn and wrecked 512 which gave me great fun restoring and turned out to be very accurate and slick and with which I won many competitions at club level (all of them in fact). So how much should that rifle have been worth for all the fun I've had with it? Does that make sense? OK, for us at our stage of life that comparison probably doesn't fit but you know, what the heck, these are old and no longer made rifles and they were great!

If someone were to offer me a 512 in good original condition, I might want to add it to my collection but only because mine isn't in original condition. But I do have to watch my budget.

tazman
11-26-2020, 10:47 PM
I see your point. My issue is, I just purchased another CZ and I can't justify the expense at the moment. If it is still there in a few weeks, maybe.