PDA

View Full Version : Mounting an EoTech or similar sight on a M94

dverna
02-03-2020, 01:23 PM
I have an old beater top eject M94 that needs better sights. My eyes are not able to shoot iron sights every accurately so looking for a solution. I would prefer something that I can do myself. I would take the EoTech off the AR for the time being but would likely replace it with a Sig Romeo 5 down the road. Not interested in a scope.

Seen this:
https://mod94scoperail.com/Universal-Dovetail-Short-Rail-p138178939

Looks simple enough that a cave man can do it. Has anyone used it and care to comment?

Any other ways to get this done?

elmacgyver0
02-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Don't have but I will say this.
Not all dove tails are created equal.
I have a Winchester Model 94 that I assumed had a standard dove tail.
I bought a ladder sight for it from Brownells it is an M-95 long range sight.
The ladder sight will not fit the dovetail, the sight is a 3/8" dove tail, so that means the rifle has a bit smaller dove tail cut.
I thought I would instead mount it on my Interarms 65 SRC Rossi in 44 mag, low and behold the Rossi's dove tail is way too large even though it has a screw to tighten it up.
I did not try it on my new Rossi R92 as I like the buckhorn sight it has.
I do intend to mount it to my older Rossi but I will need to make a shim to take up the slop.
Don't want to scare you off but thought I would let you know what I ran into.
The rail is a neat idea and there is a good chance it will slide right in, but then again it may require a bit of fitting.

rking22
02-03-2020, 05:47 PM
As just stated it will likely need some fitting, file on the rail not the rifle..... made that mistake once. No idea what I was thinking, so thought I’d share. That looks like it will be a very high sight line relative to the standard stock. Are you planning a leather comb riser? I ask because my M99 that came with a scope already mounted, is in dire need of one. I do not shoot well with no cheek weld, like happens with a high optic on rifles designed for open sights.If you got one in mind, please share :)

NSB
02-03-2020, 05:55 PM
https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun/fastfire-barrel-mount-model-1892-1894/

They work very well.

dverna
02-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Appreciate the warnings. Need to give this more thought. Adding an adjustable comb is one option but not ideal. About $60 for the hardware.

Not a fan of the Burris Fastfire

pietro
02-03-2020, 09:46 PM

With my Winchester 94, I decided to use the EASY button.

I used one of the bases (small) from a Weaver 2-base scope mount base set that had the same underside (concave) profile as the top of the rear of the rifle's bolt body (flat/cconvex)

I D/T'd the top of the rear portion of the bolt top's C/L for the base's two 6-48 screws, attached the base, then mounted the reflex sight on the base.

I thought it was kinda neat, with the sight moving back/forth with the bolt. :2_high5:

The accuracy was good, too - there's not enough play in the bolt when it's in battery to make a difference in accuracy from a sight/scope mounted conventionally. :happy dance:

Ernest
02-03-2020, 11:17 PM
have you tried a peep sight.... my experience is that a peep, maybe mounted on the tang will ad some years to being able to use iron sights.

dverna
02-04-2020, 07:25 AM
have you tried a peep sight.... my experience is that a peep, maybe mounted on the tang will ad some years to being able to use iron sights.

I purchased a Marbles tang sight for the gun and have yet to mount it. For a knock around rifle, it may be too delicate as well as prone to catch on stuff. Thus my interest in a red dot type.

rking22
02-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Interested in your take on the fastfire, rarely get a review from someone not infatuated wit it. On the surface, I like the small size, but NO personal experience.

dverna
02-05-2020, 02:31 PM
Interested in your take on the fastfire, rarely get a review from someone not infatuated wit it. On the surface, I like the small size, but NO personal experience.

I might be thinking of an older version or a different sight, but I would prefer one that does not need to be turned on and off. The Sig Romeo 5 battery lasts a long time and it shuts on and off automatically. It is about half the price as well.

ShooterAZ
02-05-2020, 02:39 PM
I have a Burris FF3 on a model 94AE, I used the rear portion of the Weaver 2pc mount. Works fantastic, BUT you still have to turn it on and off. I'm currently giving thought to figuring out a way to mount my Trijicon Reflex on it now.

Texas by God
02-05-2020, 02:58 PM
Interested in your take on the fastfire, rarely get a review from someone not infatuated wit it. On the surface, I like the small size, but NO personal experience.This^^^ I just got a FastFire3 for handgun use but haven't got the mount yet. It's small dimensions seem like a good fit for a 94 while the Eotech is large but- I've no experience with either- either. Watching this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

pietro
02-05-2020, 08:04 PM

FWIW, the reflex sights I've had all shut off automatically when their removeable protective hood was snapped onto the sight.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/attachments/optima1-jpg.341594/

AnthonyB
02-05-2020, 09:16 PM
I have the Fastfire3 on a Rossi 92 44 Mag with NOE mount, and a Trijicon RMR on a Rossi 16 inch M92 with the NOE mount. I have the Sig Romeo on ARs and a Ruger 9mm PC carbine. The RMR is the clear winner, but pricey, and the Romeo's are an incredible value for the money. The Burris is a distant third strictly because it requires the on/off switch.
Tony