PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up Winchester 290

gunauthor
02-03-2020, 12:09 PM
A friend asked me to clean up (basic restoration) a Winchester 290. The barrel and magazine tube need re-bluing (plan to use Oxfo blue) and the wood has a lot of crud on it. What is the best way to strip the stock (the stock has checkering and some non-factory engraving) so I can return it to new(er) appearance. Thanks in advance.

Buzz Krumhunger
02-03-2020, 12:35 PM
I’ve used “Safer Stripper” paint remover on a couple of stocks. Wear gloves and eye protection. Even though it’s safer, it still burns.

TNsailorman
02-03-2020, 04:23 PM
I use the stripper also but I would use an old toothbrush in the checkered areas to brush it on. I also use a clean and dry toothbrush to brush the oil into the checkered areas. james

pietro
02-03-2020, 09:52 PM

The best way I've found, on over a dozen different stocks, was to use OOOO steel wool with Formby's Furniture Restorer (at a HomeCheapo or any good hardware store), following the directions on the can.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDAwWDQwMA==/z/D2MAAOSw5uJdNJ5q/$_35.JPG

Warning - The can contents will evaporate very quickly if the can's spout isn't covered while the solution is being spread on the stock with a pad of the steel wool.[smilie=1:

Minerat
02-04-2020, 01:12 AM
I've used Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover to strip a couple of stocks. Works good but use gloves and don't get it on you, it burns.