PDA

View Full Version : Sig Romeo 5 Red Dot

ol skool
02-02-2020, 11:18 PM
Sig says this is normal, the red cast in the NW quadrant. Never have used a Red Dot before, is that true? Thank you for the education!

255987 255988

cupajoe
02-02-2020, 11:51 PM
Have 2 in use here. I can see just a hint of what you are showing in the pic. Not near that distinct and does not cover near that much area.

ol skool
02-03-2020, 12:22 AM
Have 2 in use here. I can see just a hint of what you are showing in the pic. Not near that distinct and does not cover near that much area.

Thanks cupajoe!

The pic is back lit from the kitchen lighting, that made it stand out as much as possible. I sent this pic to Sig via email, they didn't seem to be able to see anything. I'm kind of getting burned out on makers that don't own up to anything.

It looks like I'm stuck with this unless/until I can destroy it on my little 338RCM under warranty. I'm afraid it might take more punishment than my shoulder though!

Anybody else this bad?

BK7saum
02-03-2020, 02:51 AM
The dot seems to be fairly bright. if the dot is adjusted appropriate for the ambient lighting, I'd expect the red cast to be nonexistant. Maybe I am off-base in interpreting your OP.

I've had a Romeo 5, but cant remember seeing any red cast when the dot was adjusted. I think the interior of the sight may have been slightly red when the dot was brightest inside the house or low light area.

The sight isn't designed to be at maximum brightness in those lighting situations, though

bmortell
02-03-2020, 03:51 AM
mine does the same. its dark out so I cant test much for reflections, but I think its just a reflection coming in the eye side of the glass cause I can still see it the same turned off or when cycling through brightness. I tried coving parts around the front and back with my finger to see at what point it stops and when I cover the bottom right on my end is the only thing that makes it stop reflecting so that seems to be the direction the reflection comes from. what to do about it im not sure. get it to show then slightly cover the bottom right with you finger and see if it stops

ol skool
02-03-2020, 10:32 PM
mine does the same. its dark out so I cant test much for reflections, but I think its just a reflection coming in the eye side of the glass cause I can still see it the same turned off or when cycling through brightness. I tried coving parts around the front and back with my finger to see at what point it stops and when I cover the bottom right on my end is the only thing that makes it stop reflecting so that seems to be the direction the reflection comes from. what to do about it im not sure. get it to show then slightly cover the bottom right with you finger and see if it stops

Same, cover the SE quadrant from the eye side blocks it out. There's a plate/mirror visible inside from the eye side on the bottom right that must be the source for the dot and the origin of the reflection. I guess this is normal and varies some with each unit. Well, this thing is going to last forever so I might as well get used to it and like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuq_N129SAI

BTW how do you all get along with your red dot? I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl. Going to work up a load or two with optics before I mount this. Good science only changes one thing at a time.

Thank you!

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2020, 07:47 AM
yup ive got four Romeo 5s 3 vortex red dots and 2 aimpoints and they will all do that when you have them cranked up to high for the ambient light conditions. Turn them down a couple clicks and they will work fine.
The dot seems to be fairly bright. if the dot is adjusted appropriate for the ambient lighting, I'd expect the red cast to be nonexistant. Maybe I am off-base in interpreting your OP.

I've had a Romeo 5, but cant remember seeing any red cast when the dot was adjusted. I think the interior of the sight may have been slightly red when the dot was brightest inside the house or low light area.

The sight isn't designed to be at maximum brightness in those lighting situations, though

ol skool
02-08-2020, 08:46 PM
Low light and back lit is when it's worst - dot brightness matters not. Optics and iron sights don't have this issue, but my eyes are getting worse as time passes so I suppose I need to compromise. Love peep sights right now though!

bmortell
02-09-2020, 08:25 AM
I still like using mine, I haven't noticed the reflection in the places I shoot and my groups were atleast as good as peep sights