PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Gunsmith with manufacturers's license

Houstonian
02-02-2020, 12:51 PM
To manufacture a small, one-off pistol frame, using a manual mill. The material to be used will be 17-4 Stainless. Thanks.

John Taylor
02-02-2020, 01:16 PM
If you do the work yourself and don't sell it you don't need a license. Same holds true for converting a black powder pistol to take a cartridge. The owner can cut the frame for a loading gate but a gunsmith can't unless he has a manufacturing license, then it would also need to be registered as a firearm.

Houstonian
02-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Thanks John. You did the extended barrel reline on my Beretta 950 last year. Back to the frame: I don't have the equipment or the skills to do the job. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

dh2
02-02-2020, 07:00 PM
there is many guys around that do 80% AR-15 lowers with a mill, If you look around one may help you do it but doing it and ship it to you would be out of the question. from your user name you are to far from me.

Houstonian
02-02-2020, 07:21 PM
there is many guys around that do 80% AR-15 lowers with a mill, If you look around one may help you do it but doing it and ship it to you would be out of the question. from your user name you are to far from me.

Thanks.

MrWolf
02-03-2020, 09:39 AM
If you do the work yourself and don't sell it you don't need a license. Same holds true for converting a black powder pistol to take a cartridge. The owner can cut the frame for a loading gate but a gunsmith can't unless he has a manufacturing license, then it would also need to be registered as a firearm.

Check with your state regulations first. I know when I lived in NJ you could not make your own without a license. Even converting an 80% is illegal.

Sig556r
02-03-2020, 09:50 AM
If you're building a 1911 frame, there's a bunch of rail-cutting/barrel-seating/pinhole drilling templates available in the market both for single & double stack.
Watch mosinvirus on youtube, he's got a bunch of builds using these DIY tools.
Good luck

To manufacture a small, one-off pistol frame, using a manual mill. The material to be used will be 17-4 Stainless. Thanks.

Houstonian
02-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Thanks Sig556r. I'll have a look.